Anyone know this boat?

Notices

Anyone know this boat?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know this boat?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o39977-en.html

Looking at buying this boat or similar... however is 465 hours just to much?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this boat has been asked about before on here. And I believe the old owner is lurking somewhere as well. I have bought a boat from GSC. I was an easy transaction.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_302
I think this boat has been asked about before on here. And I believe the old owner is lurking somewhere as well. I have bought a boat from GSC. I was an easy transaction.
Oh really? How are they on sea trials / coming down on the price? Looks like a very clean well taken care of boat, however I am afraid of the hours on the motor..
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In '01 I bought a 1999 Baja 302 with 50 hours on it. It was a consignment boat. So price was up to the owner, not GSC. I didn't need to sea trial it. It was pretty much brand new. They scanned to engines for me to show me the hours and ran it on some wierd thing that measured exhaust pressure or something. I'd never seen anything like it.

I'd be a little leary of getting near 500 hours. Especially if you're stretching your finances to get the boat.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_302
In '01 I bought a 1999 Baja 302 with 50 hours on it. It was a consignment boat. So price was up to the owner, not GSC. I didn't need to sea trial it. It was pretty much brand new. They scanned to engines for me to show me the hours and ran it on some wierd thing that measured exhaust pressure or something. I'd never seen anything like it.

I'd be a little leary of getting near 500 hours. Especially if you're stretching your finances to get the boat.
Yes, trust me I am leary.. I have always heard 500 hours is about the time things start needing to be rebuilt..
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

465 hours is actually low hours for a 2000 model year boat. I would not be concerned at all with those hours. A lack of use is much harder on an engine than regular use if it is well maintained and not abused. A quick compression and leak down test will give you and indication of the health of the motors. If this is the boat I am thinking of I know the owner and it has been very well maintained.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
465 hours is actually low hours for a 2000 model year boat. I would not be concerned at all with those hours. A lack of use is much harder on an engine than regular use if it is well maintained and not abused. A quick compression and leak down test will give you and indication of the health of the motors. If this is the boat I am thinking of I know the owner and it has been very well maintained.
Well let me know if you find out if it is the owner, I would like to know how its been maintained from another source than the dealer. I have never bought a boat from a dealer, how would I get a compression test/ leak test done on a boat from a dealer.. they could say anything.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by plexoer
Well let me know if you find out if it is the owner, I would like to know how its been maintained from another source than the dealer. I have never bought a boat from a dealer, how would I get a compression test/ leak test done on a boat from a dealer.. they could say anything.
Make any sale contingent on a mechanical survey by a surveyor of your choice. Wouldn't hurt to have a structural survey as well given the age of the boat. Do your due diligence and you shouldn't have any surprises.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

I have owned 3 baja 272's and own a 27 boss currently. The 465 hrs would be a concern for me, but worst case is pull heads and freshen top end. my last 27 had the 385 mag and started making tapping-ticking noises around the same hrs 480. Just try to use the hours as a negotiation tool. i'd offer 25k.