Impellor? >

Impellor?

Notices

Impellor?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impellor?

Hi guys, i wanted to get your opinion on my engine. Went out today in the boat (2001 Baja Outlaw with 496) and running it in low RPM in a no wake zone for about 10 minutes. Once I was able to give it some throttle I heard a solid beep and the water temp was at 190 (usually runs in the 150-160 range). When I gave it some throttle before the beep, it almost stalled out, but didnt die, but no power at all. I looked back and it looked like more smoke than usual coming from the exhaust. I stopped the engine, opened up the hatch and checked all fluids. Turned the boat back on, no alarm, but water temp was still up there in the 190 range. i idled back to the dock and it went down to 160 while I was ideling back. I still noticed that it seemed to smoke a little way more than normal coming from the exhaust. There is water coming out of the exhaust, but it seemed more as coming from the starboard side than the port side. Any suggestions? Impellor? All fluids are fine and oil pressure is at 40 (normal). I had the boat out last weekend with no issues at all.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

Smoke or steam coming from the exhaust?

Are you still keeping the boat in salt water? Did you replace the impeller when you purchased the boat?

The impeller is a good place to start, cheap and somewhat easy to do.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Registered

I am not keeping the boat in salt water on the weekends only. Put in in on fridays and take out sunday. Expensive, but decided to go that route. Yes exhaust smoke, not real bad, but more noticable than before. I will check impellor and see if that is what it is. I am thinking it is. Are they hard to change?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

Glad you decided to store out of the water, at least during the week.

They can sometimes be in a tight place for hands and tools. I am not familiar with the 25 OLs, I am sure someone here will chime in.

If their is visible smoke and not steam, my guess is something a little more is going on. Good luck and get it to someone who can provide a definable answer.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way I have found to change the impeller [done it a few times on my 24 Outlaw] is to lye "across" the engine [starboard to port] and reach down and change the impeller, the benefit to the EFI motors is they are "flat" on top, so, you can rest your belly on top of the motor and just reach down, undo the hoses and yank the impeller

And YES, EVERYTHING on those "smaller" Outlaws is tight, my next boat will be a 29ft Outlaw with a single engine, there is enough room to play handball in those engine area's, LOL!!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n20michael
Easiest way I have found to change the impeller [done it a few times on my 24 Outlaw] is to lye "across" the engine [starboard to port] and reach down and change the impeller, the benefit to the EFI motors is they are "flat" on top, so, you can rest your belly on top of the motor and just reach down, undo the hoses and yank the impeller

And YES, EVERYTHING on those "smaller" Outlaws is tight, my next boat will be a 29ft Outlaw with a single engine, there is enough room to play handball in those engine area's, LOL!!
I wish I had a pic of my bilge. I've had three people in there. Just because they fit
Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_302
I wish I had a pic of my bilge. I've had three people in there. Just because they fit
You would be lucky to fit 3 infants in mine, lol