Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Antenna wire for stereo - where? >

Antenna wire for stereo - where?

Notices

Antenna wire for stereo - where?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna wire for stereo - where?

So, putting in the new deck yesterday, can't find an antenna cable.

Took the old deck out last year, and coulda sworn there was one going to the windshield or somewhere, but can't see anything in there (272).

Anybody know, and if it fell in somewhere, where I should be looking?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Well, it should be in there somewhere, but it ain't much! Trust me, I have changed several head units for people and I have never seen one in a Baja that wasn't just a antenna jack on about 1.5 feet of speaker cable. It will work better if you make it longer and run it down the side of the boat. It will work great if you install a permanent external antenna like the ones from Shakespeare. If you have an external VHF radio antenna you can add a splitter that will separate the signals and use the same antenna. Lastly, you can go the the auto parts store and buy a small plastic radio antenna and mount it under the side panel. If you really want good radio reception, ditch the stock one and replace it.

Last edited by rumrunner29; 07-11-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

Mine was an antenna jack on cable... I threw it out. With my new bluetooth deck i just stream pandora from the phone.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
Well, it should be in there somewhere, but it ain't much! Trust me, I have changed several head units for people and I have never seen one in a Baja that wasn't just a antenna jack on about 1.5 feet of speaker cable. It will work better if you make it longer and run it down the side of the boat. It will work great if you install a permanent external antenna like the ones from Shakespeare. If you have an external VHF radio antenna you can add a splitter that will separate the signals and use the same antenna. Lastly, you can go the the auto parts store and buy a small plastic radio antenna and mount it under the side panel. If you really want good radio reception, ditch the stock one and replace it.
Thanks for the info. I would like to have good reception, so maybe I'll pick up a cheap antenna as you suggested.... Can't find the old wire anyways! Did you find you got half decent reception when it was mounted under the side panel?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Thanks for the info. I would like to have good reception, so maybe I'll pick up a cheap antenna as you suggested.... Can't find the old wire anyways! Did you find you got half decent reception when it was mounted under the side panel?
It's better, but not as good as a true external one. Try the cheap one first, if you don't like it, your only out a few bucks. Should work ok though.