Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
OEM flush kit everyone should have one of these! >

OEM flush kit everyone should have one of these!

Notices

OEM flush kit everyone should have one of these!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM flush kit everyone should have one of these!

i keep reading post about running with earmuffs and burning up impellers well i did at home right after i bought my boat last year and got one of these kits It forces the water right to the pump I just wanted to let others know that this works well one of you guys gave me a link to a ebay seller selling one now ill do the same

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150637721288
Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

Why would properly using muffs, with an adequate water supply, burn up an impeller?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Because the ad says so, why else would someone fork out $115 for $7 of plastic parts?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Admittedly, one of the sets of muffs I have does slip off slightly sometimes under pressure.... So it could be a problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I burned up 3 impellers because of cheap earmuffs falling off or moving
Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Registered

I had a good set of earmuffs the ones with the metal bar and it feeds water from both sides and i burnt mine up last year so i bought this and it seems to work well i jsut wonder if anyone else has the same setup
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered

I installed one of these kits a few months back. I know that it is over priced, but it fits perfectly and does a good job. My main reason for getting it is because I didn't like waiting for the pump to prime on the muffs and it seems like it would take a good 15-20 seconds to see water come out the exhaust when using the muffs. It made me nervous thinking that maybe it wouldnt suck up the water fast enough. Also, after a day of boating its a pain to get in and out to start and stop the water, etc. Now I grab my hose and interior cleaning supplies and take them in the boat. I start the motor up and flush while cleaning. When the flush is done I dont have to get out and turn off the water, I can just shutdown and remove the quick connect fitting and continue my cleaning. These may not sound like a big deal, but its a huge convenience to me and a peace of mind knowing that water is flowing thru the pump, and not wondering if the pump will suck it up from the drive.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

But, in normal operation, the boat sucks water up from the lake anyway, so I can't really see the difference in terms of priming the pump.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
But, in normal operation, the boat sucks water up from the lake anyway, so I can't really see the difference in terms of priming the pump.
Because when the hull is in the water and the sea pump is at or under the waterline,,,, water is already at the impeller.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Because when the hull is in the water and the sea pump is at or under the waterline,,,, water is already at the impeller.
exactly.

Also, with dual water pick-ups, I hated always trying to duct tape the low water pick ups. most of teh time the tape doesnt stick anyways if its wet and then you really risk starving the pump.

Eitherway, its something for the boat that makes things easier for me and it isnt THAT much $$.