Originally Posted by TLP
What is the fastest 275BAJA AND WHAT DOSES ITHAVE IN IT
Welcome to OSO and the Baja forum.

Interesting first question.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indywhsle's boat that pacaliam has now ( 272 ) has a pretty healthy procharged engine in and runs pretty good i think maybe 80's but dont quote me on any of this and i probably screwed up there oso names
Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TLP
What is the fastest 275BAJA AND WHAT DOSES ITHAVE IN IT
I have a 2000 Baja 272 that has ran 99mph, not really a 275 but close, has more in it but I have lost my desire to break 100 with this boat. Has ran into the mid 90's hundreds of times. Has a procharged 540 big block that made 1057 on 92 octane, made 1115 on 80/20 mix of pump gas and 110 octane, Smitty
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I have lost my desire to break 100 with this boat.
AMEN brother! I'm with you 100% I'm so tired of chasing a mph here & and spending tens of thousands of dollars to get a number.
Your boat is the fastest 272 I know of. All hail the king of fast 272's.
One more quick observation. It is more fun reading about someone making a boat fast than it actually is having a boat that goes fast.
I chased 95MPH for 4 years. got 94.6mph on the GPS once. Called it quits.
Next time, I'll buy the keys to something that's already done rather than building it myself.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default There yah go!

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Next time, I'll buy the keys to something that's already done rather than building it myself.
I had a little O/B yrs ago that I was trying to bust a 100 in. Can't tell you how many trips to the ramp I made convinced I was there. Would run 96, 98,99 but not 100.
Was about done and was making one last attempt at it before selling the rig and moving on to something else.
Came back in from the 10th or 11th pass and showed my crew the GPS. 99.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally got a 101 but what a PIA!

Remember the Baja that ran @ LOTO several yrs ago?? I think it was a smaller Outlaw but thinking he got into the one teens???
Old 08-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I had a little O/B yrs ago that I was trying to bust a 100 in. Can't tell you how many trips to the ramp I made convinced I was there. Would run 96, 98,99 but not 100.
Was about done and was making one last attempt at it before selling the rig and moving on to something else.
Came back in from the 10th or 11th pass and showed my crew the GPS. 99.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally got a 101 but what a PIA!

Remember the Baja that ran @ LOTO several yrs ago?? I think it was a smaller Outlaw but thinking he got into the one teens???
There are much faster Baja's then mine but I might have the fastest 272/275 in existence. Dan Vining who used to have a supercharged 24 foot hammer or similar ran into the teens at Hardy pond ( didn't personally see it or the GPS) but he did run 107 at Shootout on offical radar, Smitty
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
AMEN brother! I'm with you 100% I'm so tired of chasing a mph here & and spending tens of thousands of dollars to get a number.
Your boat is the fastest 272 I know of. All hail the king of fast 272's.
One more quick observation. It is more fun reading about someone making a boat fast than it actually is having a boat that goes fast.
I chased 95MPH for 4 years. got 94.6mph on the GPS once. Called it quits.
I think I could bolt my smallest blower pulley and 32 pitch prop on and go break 100 but I really lost my nerve for it after I put the 2" shorty on my 272 and almost flipped my boat as it tried to swap ends at 95 mph. Even though I got rid of my shorty and put my standard length drive on which worked the best, I keep my top speed right around 94-95 because it does feel pretty spooky above there. As far as breaking parts, I did just shear off a vertical shaft in my lower and destroyed the case, fairly new gears and all the bearings but I rarely break down on the water and I perform alot of preventative maintenance on my drives, I am STILL running my original upper case that I had Max Worx put a steel tower in back in 2002 or so, Smitty
Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Didn't mean to....

There are much faster Baja's then mine but I might have the fastest 272/275 in existence. Dan Vining who used to have a supercharged 24 foot hammer or similar ran into the teens at Hardy pond ( didn't personally see it or the GPS) but he did run 107 at Shootout on offical radar, Smitty
take away from your accomplishments. Goes w/o saying that going up in size/weight amplifies the challenges ten fold. I think the one you're referring to is the same I was thinking of too.
On the boat swapping ends, I've spent a lot of time playing w/fast O/B's where we're spoiled at being able to change X dimension's in min's. The fast guys run w/the prop shaft 2" up but at that height, if ANYTHING happens it can easily be catastrophic.
I've done it many times and never liked it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I could bolt my smallest blower pulley and 32 pitch prop on and go break 100 but I really lost my nerve for it after I put the 2" shorty on my 272 and almost flipped my boat as it tried to swap ends at 95 mph. Even though I got rid of my shorty and put my standard length drive on which worked the best, I keep my top speed right around 94-95 because it does feel pretty spooky above there. As far as breaking parts, I did just shear off a vertical shaft in my lower and destroyed the case, fairly new gears and all the bearings but I rarely break down on the water and I perform alot of preventative maintenance on my drives, I am STILL running my original upper case that I had Max Worx put a steel tower in back in 2002 or so, Smitty
smitty thanks for sharing that info. i have a 24baja doing 85 stock drive i was going to put a shorty on . after reading this i am going to leave it just were it is and have fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.