Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Great weekend in marathon key Fl, except... >

Great weekend in marathon key Fl, except...

Notices

Great weekend in marathon key Fl, except...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great weekend in marathon key Fl, except...

Has great time all weekend playing on the water. Weather was great too. Spend three days running out to Sombrero lighthouse / reef. All was well until we went to the gulf under the seven mile bridge. As the ocean was a bit to rough for more then 25 mph ( the kids didn't like it any faster ) anyway got to calm glasses water an opened her up safely. Full RPM range was used. I am not one to simply put it to the wood and sit back. Meaning say 4000 then 4500 maybe 5000 then back to 4500 no more few min. at a time. No need to try to break it. Anyway pull into restaurant on water for lunch. After wo hours of eating etc we waddle back to the Baja and dam thing will NOT start. Crank crank crank etc. Got pissed finally after switching batteries thinking #1 was weak and not able to spin it faster, fail. I got out the trusted starter fluid and it fires up. BUT now
wont idle and is popping / spitting min throttle response and surging etc. Even after a few min and some light short revs to " blow out " and loading up, got nuttin. Finally able to keep it running make the 10 miles to the boat ramp.

Lost story short : ran under 3500, mostly, all weekend no problem on re starts. Run hard for like 20 miles and get to look like idiot on labor day with pretty boat that no go!

Yes I got gas in Orlando before we left Friday afternoon so don't think it's bad gas.

Also after 750 miles I see three, yes 3 out of 4 on double axle trailer, of the trailer tires are completely wiped out ONLY on the inside tread. The first two tread " rings " are simply gone as if they are toed or camber is way off.

Thanks in advance for your experience help. Oh motor is supposed to be rebuilt from reputable builder on west coast Fl and engine wise seems fine. Labels on manifold reads 502 EFI or MPI however we told it was
bored etc.

Just put new mech. fuel pump and raw water combo. Could it be simply does not like high RPM? Getting pissed as I thought I was gonna have to call sea tow. Least we were at a restaurant and caught in some BS storm with the kids etc.

Last edited by Cream Pie; 09-06-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vapor lock ?? try opening your engine hatch when you stop to let the heat out and help cool everything off especially when running harder
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
vapor lock ?? try opening your engine hatch when you stop to let the heat out and help cool everything off especially when running harder
I agree with Ebay Ed and I would say vapor lock too.
As far as your trailer tires go; How much does your boat weigh, what is/are your trailer/tires load limit and where the tires fully inflated? Also what brand of tires where they? You should have gotten much more than 750 miles out of them.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

Vapor lock? Would vapor lock also explain the not idling and the popping back up through the intake after it's restarted?

Tires were properly inflated. Twin 3500 pound axles. Boat supposed to weigh like 4000 dry. It's a 97 272. It seems like the tires are not aligned? Is there alignment for trailers? If so news to me....maybe I should get out the framing square...
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Around 4400# dry. Mine was cranky once on the weekend also. Let 'er cool down, opened the hatch, fired right up.

Vapour lock, or just plain hot.....
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Registered

Check your wheel bearings and make sure the spindel nut is tight on the hubs. My tires did same thing. Come to find out all the spindel nuts had back off. If bearings are bad it will do samething.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

Funny you say that about the bearings, we just redid the whole trailer. That's always an odd thing - how tight does one tighten the castle nut? And how far dies ne back off or tighten to align the cotter pin?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 367 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
Thats the only thing that comes to my mind also........
Jr.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

When you redid the trailer did you change the bearing races? Did you make sure the new ones were seated all the way?As for tightening the nuts its kinda a fell thing I always tighten then back off a little to get the cotter key in.You don't want any play but they can't be to tight either.

As for the no start I would watch the starting fluid,and get a fuel pressure gauge on it.Because it started on the fluid I am leaning toward a fuel problem.But it could also be a weak ignition.Go back to basics and check everything.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Cream Pie
Vapor lock? Would vapor lock also explain the not idling and the popping back up through the intake after it's restarted?

Tires were properly inflated. Twin 3500 pound axles. Boat supposed to weigh like 4000 dry. It's a 97 272. It seems like the tires are not aligned? Is there alignment for trailers? If so news to me....maybe I should get out the framing square...
i bet your boat, trailer and " junk " in the boat weigh a bunch more than 4400 lbs i have a 98 272 and i am guessing mine loaded up weighs closer to 7000 with the trailer ( aluminum ) ready to dunk it in the water hell there is damn near 900 lbs just in a full tank of fuel at 90 gallons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.