Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja by Fountain. >

Baja by Fountain.

Notices

Baja by Fountain.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I don't think I like how Sonic did that liner at all. They cut into it for storage space, when Baja molded theirs in. I still think the best method would be like a Boston Whaler and completely foam fill the void, and connect the compartments with PVC pipe for drainage.

Liberty built their 1st factory 26 Outlaw with the original liner installed. They should invite all of us down there to test drive it.....

XT
Attached Thumbnails Baja by Fountain.-img_2412_7.jpg   Baja by Fountain.-img_2405_4.jpg  
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Agreed.

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Wow, I don't think I like how Sonic did that liner at all. They cut into it for storage space, when Baja molded theirs in. I still think the best method would be like a Boston Whaler and completely foam fill the void, and connect the compartments with PVC pipe for drainage.

Liberty built their 1st factory 26 Outlaw with the original liner installed. They should invite all of us down there to test drive it.....

XT
No question there's a right and a wrong way. Structurally, in theory....., and assembled properly the hull becomes a monocoque like an F-1 or Indy car.
The 24' Sonic had more flaws than just the liner though Every 24' twin O/B on the planet (except the two I owned and corrected) will have cracks on the deck where the side deck transitions into the transom cap due to lack of support going from an orig. I/O design to O/B's.

I had a 23' Mako walkaround that was also a liner boat. The front & side deck area sucked! In the cut out where the deck line around the cuddy (bellow the gunnel level) was, on the outer wall they mirrored the inside of the hull but held it out 4" - 6".
So the top/opening to that walkway was 18" or so wide but was 10" or 12" on the deck w/that outer wall having a 10* or so angle down.
Know how many times I fell over the side due to that?
It also had molded in storage areas under the vee berth cushions but they were tiny and I never used them.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Because there might have been one or two issue
with the liners
Only one or two , I heard the yard at the factory
was full of crack ones and thats why brunswick
got rid of Baja.
No liner boats for me , I know of 4 of them
that crack !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

Default I heard...

Originally Posted by bajarick
I heard the yard at the factory
was full of crack ones and thats why brunswick
got rid of Baja.
same from a friend who had a friend at the factory.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Teo
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
I still think the best method would be like a Boston Whaler and completely foam fill the void, and connect the compartments with PVC pipe for drainage.
Canīt you just find, or make a small hole somewhere in the liner and fill the void with foam?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Registered

Default The stuff....

Originally Posted by Teo
Canīt you just find, or make a small hole somewhere in the liner and fill the void with foam?
expands wicked crazy! Parts have to be designed for it.
Way more to it than most of us know/think.
I've looked at several Whalers that had breached hulls and were water logged. Some of the foam types actually breaks down w/time/water/heat also.
I see old center consoles down here where that's happened. I think old Aqua Sports ??
Looked at one that when thumping the side of the hull it sounded like you were hitting the side of an empty plastic trash can! Flexed as much too. Foam was gone.