Notices

Boxes

Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over reving the engine

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
I you want to fly your boat, you need to throttle it. A rev limiter won't save your motor or outdrive.

I won't be doing it on purpose , but some times you do come out of the water, I don't do it intentionally. There is no rev limiter on it. When original owner put the procharger on it. He (his marina) couldn't get it adjusted correctly, ( what ever he ment by it) So he left it off. The owner told me if the prop comes out of the water it will over rev (raise the rpms to high) the engine because of the power in the boat. People on this chat line told me i need a rev limitor or a msd box on the egine to prevent over reving the rpms and blowing the engine. This is all new stuff to me. What is your opinion on what i presented top you
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
I won't be doing it on purpose , but some times you do come out of the water, I don't do it intentionally. There is no rev limiter on it. When original owner put the procharger on it. He (his marina) couldn't get it adjusted correctly, ( what ever he ment by it) So he left it off. The owner told me if the prop comes out of the water it will over rev (raise the rpms to high) the engine because of the power in the boat. People on this chat line told me i need a rev limitor or a msd box on the egine to prevent over reving the rpms and blowing the engine. This is all new stuff to me. What is your opinion on what i presented top you
The issue is not so much whether or not you do it on purpose. When you leave the water, the motor will rev very suddently and therefore the rev limiter is not fast enough. It does help you a bit, but when you run in conditions where you might leave the water, you need to be on the stick. It will also be very hard on your outdrive if the prop speed is not matched to the re-entry speed. The fine art of throttling a boat is not something you'll learn in a day, give it time.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

msd box thank you

The issue is not so much whether or not you do it on purpose. When you leave the water, the motor will rev very suddently and therefore the rev limiter is not fast enough. It does help you a bit, but when you run in conditions where you might leave the water, you need to be on the stick. It will also be very hard on your outdrive if the prop speed is not matched to the re-entry speed. The fine art of throttling a boat is not something you'll learn in a day, give it time.
Question will a msd box help the situation? ( I talked to a racing shop that works on high performace boats and he said that a persons reaction time is not fast enough to prevent damage, that a msd box would be a good safety device to prevent any unwanted damage)

Will a persons hands on a throttle be quick enough to prevent damage from occuring?

How do you match prop speed back into the water?

I see a ton of pictures with people taking the whole boat out of the water. Don't they take a chance every time?

I usually drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the gas at high speeds. Lake erie is known for being choppie.(i feel more in control when one hand is on the throttle at all times at hight speeds)

I appreciate any help in this department. I am very new to this. Your suggestions will help me save money and make a better decision on how to handel the situation this spring.

Basicly when i feel the boat start to come out of the water or feel it come out or anticipate it because of large waves back off on the throttle before it happens.

thank you
jj

Last edited by conneroutlaw; 01-20-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question will a msd box help the situation? ( I talked to a racing shop that works on high performace boats and he said that a persons reaction time is not fast enough to prevent damage, that a msd box would be a good safety device to prevent any unwanted damage)

Will a persons hands on a throttle be quick enough to prevent damage from occuring?

How do you match prop speed back into the water?

I see a ton of pictures with people taking the whole boat out of the water. Don't they take a chance every time?

I usually drive with one hand on the wheel and one on the gas at high speeds. Lake erie is known for being choppie.(i feel more in control when one hand is on the throttle at all times at hight speeds)

I appreciate any help in this department. I am very new to this. Your suggestions will help me save money and make a better decision on how to handel the situation this spring.

Basicly when i feel the boat start to come out of the water or feel it come out or anticipate it because of large waves back off on the throttle before it happens.

thank you
jj
If you are ready for it, you should be quick enough. Yes, the rev limiter will help as well, just don't rely on it alone. The way I do things, I NEVER take my hand off the throttle, other than a brief moment to push tab buttons ect. Now how to match prop speed. It is not that easy to explain and difficult to do. Techniques can vary as well. When the boat leaves the water it loses speed, how much depends on various factors from boat and setup itself to weather, waves, load, the angle of which the boat leaves the water and re-enters the water ect. I tend to pull back so the rpms get below but somewhat close to where they were, when the prop was in the water. Then it's very much a feel thing of how fast and when you start to apply throttle so that the rpms are matched to the speed you enter the water with. Re-entry angle and other variables are there too. Next time you watch offshore racing, try and listen to how the motors rev. Sometimes when a boat is really hauling with a good throttle man, you can hear how close the rpms match when the boat left the water and entered the water. it kinda gives you an idea about the reaction times as well.

Here is a good vid of one of the best in the bizz. Johnny Tomlinson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjwfwfeRAU

Brian Forehand also does a very nice job here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIu-G7reKvw

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Registered

Default thank you for the info and y tube

If you are ready for it, you should be quick enough. Yes, the rev limiter will help as well, just don't rely on it alone. The way I do things, I NEVER take my hand off the throttle, other than a brief moment to push tab buttons ect. Now how to match prop speed. It is not that easy to explain and difficult to do. Techniques can vary as well. When the boat leaves the water it loses speed, how much depends on various factors from boat and setup itself to weather, waves, load, the angle of which the boat leaves the water and re-enters the water ect. I tend to pull back so the rpms get below but somewhat close to where they were, when the prop was in the water. Then it's very much a feel thing of how fast and when you start to apply throttle so that the rpms are matched to the speed you enter the water with. Re-entry angle and other variables are there too. Next time you watch offshore racing, try and listen to how the motors rev. Sometimes when a boat is really hauling with a good throttle man, you can hear how close the rpms match when the boat left the water and entered the water. it kinda gives you an idea about the reaction times as well.

Here is a good vid of one of the best in the bizz. Johnny Tomlinson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjwfwfeRAU

Brian Forehand also does a very nice job here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIu-G7reKvw
I too usually keep my hand on the throttle unless i am moving the trim tams or out drive trim. I do get the jest of what you are saying about the prop speed. When I get the rev limiter or msd box put on the boat, I won't just rely on them, I will rely on my self. I have not gotten used to the engine sound yet. I have only had the boat one season, alot to get used to and learn. Thank you for your help. I am not intentionally going to take the boat out of the water at high speeds. Usually when the boat leaves the water it is around 40 -45 mph. And it is not intentional,

thank you for your knowledge and information

jj
Old 01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

If and when you break a drive, you'll want a rev limiter
..unless you have psychic abilities and are able to
foresee these cataclysms and pull back before they happen

Over the years, I've had 4 drives let go and the rev limiter
beat my throttle arm every time
Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Registered

Default thanks for the insite

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
If and when you break a drive, you'll want a rev limiter
..unless you have psychic abilities and are able to
foresee these cataclysms and pull back before they happen

Over the years, I've had 4 drives let go and the rev limiter
beat my throttle arm every time

Thank you for your opinion, I plan on getting one put on the boat, People also told me to put a msd box on it . Which is better? What should i put on it a msd box on it or a rev limiter?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Rev limiters are a safty for the motor.... they are a great thing to have, UNLESS its a fuel cut and you are boosted haha.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Thank you for explaining it to me. It doesn't sound like something I will be doing. My first priority this spring is the hydraulic steering, then the msd box or rev limiter ( dyno testing the engine) so I don't over rev the engine and blow it up when the the outdrive comes out of the water.

Thank you again for explaining it to me

jj

I would really like to know the exact horse power the boat has
Take a look at Merc's ITS (Intergrated Transom System) it has 7" of setback and steering built in. Kill two birds with one stone. I saw some used ones in the classifieds not too long ago.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/accesso...nsomsystem.php
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Take a look at Merc's ITS (Intergrated Transom System) it has 7" of setback and steering built in. Kill two birds with one stone. I saw some used ones in the classifieds not too long ago.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/accesso...nsomsystem.php
Very cool stuff, have not seen that before. I bet its not cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.