Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
engines 502 mag/502 ho >

engines 502 mag/502 ho

Notices

engines 502 mag/502 ho

Old 03-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't get into whether or not it's a good deal. I haven't seen or driven the boat, so can't tell.

The thing about custom hp is, that you don't always know how they are measured. I always try to think in the SAE J1349 corretions so I can compare with Ilmor, Volvo and Merc ect. Also, if it can run 85, you're most likely closer to 575-600 hp, I missed that. If the guy that did the dyno used the SAE J607 Land & Sea factor, which is pretty generous, you should add atleast 5%. So a 550 J1349 is roughly the same as a 580 J607 ect. Don't worry too much about it. The only way to know for sure, is to put it on a dyno and then see what comes up. If you are happy with the speed, well you're good to go. 80-85 in a 24 OL is not excatly boring

Dig though some of my earlier posts 3-6 months back, I believe there's some thoughts about Baja props. But to boil it down, If you need more pitch than 25" it's either a B1 labbed with double cup or an M+ in either stock or labbed form, both labbed by Bblades. Below 25", M+ stock/lab, Rev4 as best stock 4 blade and B1 only good when labbed for bow lift. That's how I see it.
Don't have a lot of experience with the Spinelli, but have heard from other Baja owners that lack of bow lift and control is an issue.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 03-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
I won't get into whether or not it's a good deal. I haven't seen or driven the boat, so can't tell.

The thing about custom hp is, that you don't always know how they are measured. I always try to think in the SAE J1349 corretions so I can compare with Ilmor, Volvo and Merc ect. Also, if it can run 85, you're most likely closer to 575-600 hp, I missed that. If the guy that did the dyno used the SAE J607 Land & Sea factor, which is pretty generous, you should add atleast 5%. So a 550 J1349 is roughly the same as a 580 J607 ect. Don't worry too much about it. The only way to know for sure, is to put it on a dyno and then see what comes up. If you are happy with the speed, well you're good to go. 80-85 in a 24 OL is not excatly boring

Dig though some of my earlier posts 3-6 months back, I believe there's some thoughts about Baja props. But to boil it down, If you need more pitch than 25" it's either a B1 labbed with double cup or an M+ in either stock or labbed form, both labbed by Bblades. Below 25", M+ stock/lab, Rev4 as best stock 4 blade and B1 only good when labbed for bow lift. That's how I see it.
Don't have a lot of experience with the Spinelli, but have heard from other Baja owners that lack of bow lift and control is an issue.
Thank you for the insight. I am very happy with the speed. I don't think i would ever want to go any faster.

I was just curious.
When i booked it. I tryed to do it with the description as best i could, the idiot did not know the liter engine it had only that it was a new 502 ho mag. With him stating it had 620 hp, so i booked it w/ the biggest engine that year, 8.1 liter. THe biggest in the category. The engine and hp makes a big difference in price, (plus the engine is newer 2008 or 2009).
I found after the fact from the original owner, all the extra stuff he did and put on the boat ect. I am new to the sport of higher performace boating. So I did the best i could pricing it and also i sold mine for 2000$ over high book. I realize people on this site don't consider my size boat a high performance boat. THey seem to say boats like this need to be 29ft and larger to be consider a high performance boat.

thank you for the insight

I am very happy with the performance and speed of the boat. Just need to work on making it look perfect and show room quality. But the boat is in great shape for the age. I am very annul about my thingfs, So i want it to look like a brand new boat when i am finished.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered

I could send you pictures if you like , just send me your email address

my email is: [email protected]
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

I need to put a rev limitor on the boat though. The 1st owner said he turned the 502 fuel injested engine back into a carburated engine, becasue it was easier for his mechanic to tune in the procharger. But he left the rev limitor off the boat becasue he couldn't fine to it so it idled good, . So my next project after the hydraulic steering is , putting an msd box on it with the rev limiter, or what ever the mechanic has to do to control the rpms from blowing the motor. THen i will get it dynoed and find out exactly what i have for an egine and the overall hp