Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
25' Outlaw setup tinkering >

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Notices

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect, I'll have a look at it this weekend!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Sounds like you are going in the right direction with your upgrades, some pictures would be nice. I agree with what other have said regarding steering....it won't net you anything but will be safer.

As far as upgrades, I have done some similar to my 25 Outlaw. I started with stock 496 HO and added Stelling extension box and IMCO 2" shortened lower and IMCO full steering. My prop shaft height is 3 1/2" below the bottom of my boat, and to be honest I didn't gain much as far as speed.....my original prop shaft height was 6 1/2". At the time I was running a labbed 24P Bravo1 4 blade prop and would see 64 MPH GPS WOT. The next off season I upgraded engine to 600+ HP and saw a dramatic speed increase...74 MPH to date but am running 600 RPMs off of where I need to be and haven't had a chance to mess with since. I am doing 74 MPH with an unlabbed 28P Bravo 1 and spinning it around 4900-5000 RPMs....I would like to be near 5500 RPMs. I honestly think I am losing some speed with the IMCO lower, my plan is to first put the 1" spacer in to lower the prop height a little and then put the stock bravo lower back on. I hope to do this all babck to back to get some very comparable results. I should be able to lab the proper prop after that.

If you have any other question let me know...other than that keep your results posted on here for the rest of us to decide what we would like to do for upgrades.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

baja man......your boat looks great! I remember seeing the drive pic in another thread but the other pics look awesome also! Get a hold of me next time your boating in Traverse City.

So whats your advice for the OP? Wait till you finish dialing in?! Start with steering for now, or just a stand off box and steering? Wait on the shorty lower till after we see if your boat gains speed by lowering the drive down a little?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

Definately not wait on me but install steering first. As far as the upgrades, I have heard of other 25 OL do well with boxes and shorties but mine had minimal gains. I know for a fact the cheapest and most noticable gain will come from a labbed prop. You can always try different propshaft height.....it also is much easier to swap a lower unit than an extension box. Every boat is different on how they react so just be cautious on what to expect.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Sounds like you are going in the right direction with your upgrades, some pictures would be nice. I agree with what other have said regarding steering....it won't net you anything but will be safer.

As far as upgrades, I have done some similar to my 25 Outlaw. I started with stock 496 HO and added Stelling extension box and IMCO 2" shortened lower and IMCO full steering. My prop shaft height is 3 1/2" below the bottom of my boat, and to be honest I didn't gain much as far as speed.....my original prop shaft height was 6 1/2". At the time I was running a labbed 24P Bravo1 4 blade prop and would see 64 MPH GPS WOT. The next off season I upgraded engine to 600+ HP and saw a dramatic speed increase...74 MPH to date but am running 600 RPMs off of where I need to be and haven't had a chance to mess with since. I am doing 74 MPH with an unlabbed 28P Bravo 1 and spinning it around 4900-5000 RPMs....I would like to be near 5500 RPMs. I honestly think I am losing some speed with the IMCO lower, my plan is to first put the 1" spacer in to lower the prop height a little and then put the stock bravo lower back on. I hope to do this all babck to back to get some very comparable results. I should be able to lab the proper prop after that.

If you have any other question let me know...other than that keep your results posted on here for the rest of us to decide what we would like to do for upgrades.

Not sure I understand this corretly, whether your current prop is labbed or not. But if your current prop is not labbed, you should think about labbing your B1 before lowering the prop shaft. As mentioned before, the B1 in stock form is not a prop with a lot of bow lift which the Bajas like and that could be the answer. 3½" is agressive, but not insanely so. I know Smitty have had some steering issues at really high speeds with hes 1000+ hp 272 running high, but boats are different and speed of course have an impact as well.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 04-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

I have some experience in setting up a 25 outlaw. I would go with the stelling extension box. You can set it up in the 1up neutral or 1 down position. I went in the up position and used the stock bravo drive. You have to have hydraulic steering with a box. Like in the pictures of Baja Mans boat.when doing the box you don't have to put transome brackets on the transom for the steering . I would get your drive height around the 4.25 to 4.5 with the box. I am running a bravo 26 that is labed. I am over 70 on gps with my set up.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

@ A.O. Razor......current prop is unlabbed....28P B1....I definately will get a labbed prop just unsure which one, a 26P or 28P, maybe both? I wanted to see which lower setup was fastest before the lab....but am leaning toward having both labbed and stock on hand at same time to see how each reacts with different lower changes.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

i know the hull design between the 25 and 24 outlaws are slightly different. but would the setup be about the same for both hulls? Im running a 525SC that dynoed 570hp and 600tq, stock bravo one drive, with a bravo 24 that has been worked with extra cup, Spinning 5400rpms im GPS right at 70mph. was wanting to play with several different props and was also looking at a different drive, but almost looks like the prop might be the more bang for the buck
Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Default steering

Originally Posted by WildRooster
That would be easy enough, but I'd rather not cut my engines life in half.....I'm talking about pure setup, drive height, etc....My next change will be to lab the prop, go to full hydraulic and an upgrade on the drive next winter. Just trying to get ahead of the 8 ball on what others have done that has worked.
I agree with the steering. i had the same issue with my boat. it would line walk alittle at 75mph. I am installing as soon as it is out of storage full imco hydraulic steering. The steering will run you about $3885. i was told by imco engineer, that you are better off with full hydraulic for a few reason. You bipass the tiller arm, which is probably going to be shot in your boat becasue of the power, Also if the steering fails with full hydraulic, you won't lose steering if it fails ( it will just turn like an old tractor). Add on hydraulic or regular steering is bad becasue if it fails the outdrive will flopp to one side and spin you around and you will be flying out of the boat. Plus a regular steering cable won't last long, also it will wear out your g bearing and other components quicker.

I can wait to try it out. I like the info I got from the salesmen about the product compared to lathem brand . Lathem wants 5000$ for the same set up
Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Default m1 procharger

Originally Posted by WildRooster
That would be easy enough, but I'd rather not cut my engines life in half.....I'm talking about pure setup, drive height, etc....My next change will be to lab the prop, go to full hydraulic and an upgrade on the drive next winter. Just trying to get ahead of the 8 ball on what others have done that has worked.
I have talked to different people about the charger. I called the company up too. My charger is not a real aggressive one. Also the owner told me that it is the only one mercury approves, on there engine. I talked to a couple of race shops. These guys said , as long as it is done right and correctly, I should be fine. The m1 procharger, from waht i was told is not a engine destroyer like alot of them becasue how it is built and how it produces the horse power. The only thing I have to watch it that my fuel pump doesn't **** the bed and i run out of gas. I have two fuel pumps on the boat with gauges. i am always keeping an eye on it. The only bad part is you shouldn't go below a 1/4 of a tank and you have to use 91 or better octane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.