342 Custom Dash Panel  (GPS) >

342 Custom Dash Panel (GPS)

Notices

342 Custom Dash Panel (GPS)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 342 Custom Dash Panel (GPS)

I know some have dont his. but I know when I am about to do something i like to read more then one thread tog et others thoguhts and views on how to do something. So i m posting up.

I find my self missing the GPS I had in my old boat, and ordered a new version/unit for the new boat.
Lowrance Elite-5m. I also backed up all my trails, and anchor spots on a SD card before selling my old boat. SO i should be able to just hit UPLOAD and ll my stuff be on the new unit.

The plan is to remake one of the dash panels moving some gauges around making room to flush mount the unit. Keith had this done from the factory, and it looked great, so I am basically going to copy this.
this is his boat, that i am using as a sample as far as lay out goes. i have yellow gauges, different Gps, and will have a different pattern on my panels.
Before
After

Traced the panel we are changing yesterday, and I picked up some aluminum today.

Should have pattern traced out onto the aluminum, and get it cut out soon. Then will measure a few tiems! about where the gauges will go, punch the 9 holes for gauges, and cut the big square out for the GPS. and then the Fun part. 14 small rectangle holes, all close for the switches.

then once panel is done, will test fit, mark mounting screw holes and drill them.

then remove the rest of the panels in the boat, glove box face. and drop off to Liquid Graphics, to have them all hydro dipped in a gray version of carbon fiber... then reinstall.

will post pics along the way.

Last edited by mittens; 05-10-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Sounds like its going to look pretty sweet. Have fun cutting the holes for the switches lol
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually like the looks of the modified dash better. The gauges look too far apart/scattered in 1st pic.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I actually like the looks of the modified dash better. The gauges look too far apart/scattered in 1st pic.
+1, the dash with the GPS installed looks much cleaner and organized than the original. Good luck on the install!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Here is the new piece of aluminum, trimmed out to the pattern we made. its needs some some finishing work on the edges, and some sanding on the flat portions, but overall the shape.

The yellow pattern is on Poster board. I was very meticulous on making sure its all even, and to the correct measurements.

for instance, the switch holes are 21.2mm wide, and the space between then is 4mm exactly...

the gauge holes them selves, are not excat, but the center hole where you would drill, for a punch or a hole saw is VERY precise.

Now the fun part of trying to transfer a very precise pattern from paper to metal, and trimming it all out

Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

more progress.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Have you gotten a quote from Liquid Graphics, I am doing a new dash panel for my 302 for new guages, and am going through a similar process. I was planning on doing vinyl wrap for the panels, but if the cost isn't too bad, would consider the real deal.

I supposed I should post up some pics also.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ever think of having the dash panels laser cut?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Just dropped them all off at the dippers.

150 for everything. thats including using a vynal lettering of the baja logo, and then pulling it off and so there is the aja logo in black under the clear but untop of the carbon fiber pattern on the glove box. and the same technick for the TABS, and DRVIE labels. on that panel.

the panels he is doing.
Glove box (With baja logo)
speed/tach panel
Main panel (New version)
Main Panel (Old version)
Ignition Panel
Drives and Tab switch panel (with TABS, and DRIVES lettering)

all in a silver base Carbin fiber pattern. (black base is normal carbon look)

Last edited by mittens; 05-21-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered

Stayed up pas midnight finishing the install.
but its all done, wires working, even loaded my drunk trailes from my last boats gps that i saved before i sold it.

to give an idea of the pattern before and after.
Before

After

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.