Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX.  Lots of pics no 56k... >

Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX. Lots of pics no 56k...

Notices

Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX. Lots of pics no 56k...

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX. Lots of pics no 56k...

Well since I have been here on this forum for a few months I figured I would share some pics of my Baja that I bought.

It is a 1990 DVX 265 w/ OAL of 28'3". It has a 502 EFI/mag, bravo 1 in her. I believe it was re powered in 1994 form Google searching the DVX and found it for sale a few years ago.

So far I have been only able to reach 56-57 mph on GPS with a 23p mirage plus 4200+- rpm, and only 53 with 19p mirage plus at 44-4600 rpm.. I hoping to find 60+ some day.... Seem slow for this engine but then again this boat is heavy. Normal/ about max for this boat/engine combo?

If any one has a lead on a replacement starboard bow rail let me know I could use one to replace the bent one Well enough talking and let the pics do it

Fell free to post any comments, questions, thoughts or any info in a 90 baja, I cant find anything on them.

Pics as I was looking at it.

Pics once home and then off to my buddies the detail shop

Pics of the cleaning/ beer drinking crew,

Once out on the water....

Tied up to buddies 02 Donzi 280

Others

Had to test and see how the camper top fit.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Click on the pic below. It is a short video running with the Donzi. Yes the water was supper chippie...

Last edited by 92nsx; 06-20-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did you pay? How many hours on the new motor? Looks like a nice Baja! I cant believe you guys are already swimming! Crazy how warm its been back east!

FYI--You definitely dont want to run that 23p prop if your only getting to 4200 rpm--thats way under where you should be running (4800-5000_. Your motor will incur damage if you continue to run it like that. The 19p prop should have you around 5000 rpm which is about right. Suprised your only getting to 4600 rpm with that prop
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
How much did you pay? How many hours on the new motor? Looks like a nice Baja! I cant believe you guys are already swimming! Crazy how warm its been back east!

FYI--You definitely dont want to run that 23p prop if your only getting to 4200 rpm--thats way under where you should be running (4800-5000_. Your motor will incur damage if you continue to run it like that. The 19p prop should have you around 5000 rpm which is about right. Suprised your only getting to 4600 rpm with that prop
I got a screaming deal on it! The lady wanted to unload it because of memories of the late husband. It had a few issues that I fixed and now waiting on bellows and that fun jazz. I pd $6500 with the 2007 Custom Heritage trailer!! The marina selling it didn't even know what it was. The listing as a 1990 25' baja...I found it because I wanted the 502 EFI and searched for the engine, and I happened to stumble upon it

The motor alone is prob worth close to what i pd for the boat?

The engine may need to have the heads rebuilt Im thinking since I cant see the RPMS also. The 19p mirage was on the boat when I bought it. But I put on the 25p Michigan wheel prop that came with it and here is something surprising. Ran 50 mph at 5400+ rpms! hitting the rev limiter! Im guessing Michigan props are junk design?!?!?!??

IIRC motor has/had 512 hrs on the computer and boat hr meter showed 612 when I bought it. Now the hr meter show 720 ish. I accidentally left the key on all week when I was rewiring the radio Before nothing worked unless the key was on, and wanted the radio at least on its own stand a lone circuit. Still seems like low hrs for a 22 year old boat??

EDIT: Both of my mirage props are no where near perfect like the Mich.... Both have some nicks on the edge of the prop. Here is the 23. Would this affect the performance, RPM, speed much?

Another pic of the seating

Last edited by 92nsx; 06-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat looks super clean man! I like the name on the back too!

What condition is the 19p mirage + in? I think the recommended WOT is 4600-5000 rpms. I would think you should easily be able to get to 5000 rpm with that on.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Here are pics of the 19. The edge is not perfect

19P was tested twice, once in sea trial on the St. Croix river, air temp was 50 or a little cooler (cold as sh%*, had my snowmobile coat on, lol) and maybe 3-4" chop, 53 mph. Once I had it home and cleaned up I tested again and same results (52-53) with air temp low 70's and pretty much glass water. The pic in the first post with the GF holding the boat at the dock was that night....

Question how much "bounce" when trimming the drive up is safe to run? Both times once the boat started to bounce a little, i just tapped the trim down a smudge to keep it smooth.

Last edited by 92nsx; 06-20-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

Nice to see the older bajas! Nice looking boat.
On mine if I trim up to fast you can get some bounce, if I trim up as it builds speed it is a much better ride. I don't think the bounce hurts anything but I doubt if you will see any more speed.

Scott
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered

Here is a photo from last weekend with the camper top, just the windshield not zipped in to keep some air flow threw the boat.

Also click below and it is a video from a buddies phone of the baja

Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Registered

I have a 1989 Baja Force 265 and it looks to be out of the same mold or close to it, 454 Mag 365HP, 1.5 ratio Bravo One, and I am running in the 58-62 range with both a 21 mirage plus or a 23 michigan at 5000 + or - a little. The prop in your picture looks terrible, get it repaired or get a new one and keep for a emergency spare, it is costing you speed and extra fuel. i have been told that if you can run your finger down the blade and feel anything, it needs work. As for bouncing, if you are using horsepower to lift the bow and then it drops that force is wasted, try to get as much hull out of the water and keep it there. If you play with the drive trim and the trim tabs you can find the right settings for your load and the water conditions. Watch the tach and speedometer and make sure the are climbing in relation to each other and you should find your missing speed. You might have to have a bow rail fabricated by a good welder, or consider removing the bow rails and having the holes filled and re gell coated. bajaboatowners web site might be of interest to you as well as midwestboatparty.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Registered

When I say hull out of water I should have said the front half of the boat. The non-step hull likes more bow rise than a stepped hull, which does better with a fairly level running attitude. In the video clip it looks like you could raise the bow at least several inches. I would set tabs even with the running surface and find your max speed just trimming the drive, then see what tabs do in very small increments up and down to find the sweet spot . If you were turning 5400 with a 23p and it was in good condition you should be around mid 60s or slightly more. Mirage plus 21p was the factory prop on my 265 by the way. Nice to see another older BAJA out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.