head gaskets >

head gaskets

Notices

head gaskets

Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gaskets

Is it normal to blow head gaskets on 502 carb merc with a m1 procharger sooner then without a procharger on it?

Any preventive tips to make them last longer?

My mechanic is putting better head gaskets on and bolting the gaskets down so it is stronger and will last longer.

I am sure you will say to get rid of the procharger. They machined the heads and said their was really no damage done
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

So, you blew one? or asking if you will??

Blower=Cometic if it were me, if you blew a head gasket on a BBC you better look at fuel, if you have boost you MUST spend the money to upgrade your fuel system or you are going to have tons of issues.. tune it right and make some good power!! get EGT and air fuel gauges and monitor it or next will be a melted piston...
Old 07-16-2012, 06:26 AM
VIP Member

Your engine builder is "bolting them down" ? Using bolts I am assuming by your statement ??? If he is not installing ARP head studs, then I would find another engine builder !!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
Your engine builder is "bolting them down" ? Using bolts I am assuming by your statement ??? If he is not installing ARP head studs, then I would find another engine builder !!!!!
I didn't even catch that lol
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes,,,,and like above.....laminated gaskets ( cometic ) and studs, not bolts.

Alot more to it though then just bolting parts on.

Make sure its an SC guy doing this !!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The other guys posting on here are spot-on. Find someone who has SUCCESSFULLY built a supercharged marine motor that has lived for more than a season, and go with them. Also, give some thought to upgrading the steering on that boat for the speeds you are likely to reach if it is done right. Full hydraulic steering would be best, but at lease add something like a Drew stabilizer to it. A broken helm cable at 80+ MPH would be disastrous.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Budman II
The other guys posting on here are spot-on. Find someone who has SUCCESSFULLY built a supercharged marine motor that has lived for more than a season, and go with them. Also, give some thought to upgrading the steering on that boat for the speeds you are likely to reach if it is done right. Full hydraulic steering would be best, but at lease add something like a Drew stabilizer to it. A broken helm cable at 80+ MPH would be disastrous.
my best friend is Lake Effect user name here...search him.... he has a 35 formula we hit 107 on GPS with it... 509's procharged and intercooled... read his posts...he knows his chit... going on season 4 now with no issues making approximately 800 HP each... A/F and egt is a MUST to keep it alive.... you WILL hurt it if you don't... trust me
Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Ok, all good suggestions, but back to the original ?.... Head gaskets on a supercharged engine... In a word, your answer is YES!.. An sc engine will blow head gaskets easier than a non-sc engine. .. In all my sc engines I have always used the cometic brand head gaskets.. I suggest a little thicker gasket then was stock to try and lower your compression just a tadbit, 053 is what I have used in the past but I believe the folks at cometic can help you with your choice...also, on a stock engine I think 5 psi is tops unless you are changing fuel delivery and going into the motor deeper than just gaskets.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
So, you blew one? or asking if you will??

Blower=Cometic if it were me, if you blew a head gasket on a BBC you better look at fuel, if you have boost you MUST spend the money to upgrade your fuel system or you are going to have tons of issues.. tune it right and make some good power!! get EGT and air fuel gauges and monitor it or next will be a melted piston...
i blew a head gasket, the marina said, i did little to no damage to the heads. They are bolting down the head gasket better as well as puting a better one on it. I run 93 octane in it, it calls for 91 but i put 93 in it. the before me said he put octane boost in it, i am sure that didn't help the head gaskets out. the mechanic is going to tune it for me and put a msd box and a chip in it. the original owner never put the rev plate back on , that is maybe why it went so quickly, there was nothing ther to control the rpms.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty

I may be mis quoting him on that. He said he is making the set up stronger. So the heads will last longer. The way he said it was set up was not strong enough. When i pick the boat up this week, i will ask himn again and get abetter understanding of what he did. I may have miss spoke. I thought my father said studs, but i will soon find out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.