Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice >

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice

Notices

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brought home the LVL today for the stringers. This stuff is pretty cool, it's a 10 layer laminated beam that has very few plugs in at all. It will be stout! Had a bunch of measurements made already so we went ahead and cut one. Here is a pic of us cutting one and a pic of what the inside of the LVL looks like.

What is the best stuff to use to bed the stringers with? Have heard of using duraglass? we cut the stringer and put a bevel on the edge to meet the hull and trimmed a couple times a little bit and It meets the hull all to within a little over 1/4 inch even on the front 10 feet of the hull.

I will be pulling a section of the bumps strip tonight, lots of rivets are already lose or broken off. And probably will be laminating tonight.

Gas tank even still has a shine on the bottom of the tank, will check it but I'm 99 percent sure it's ok.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

my thought..... she's gonna be solid with that stringer setup! looks like fun!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just think your boat was built only 50 miles south of Sandusky OH. in Bucyrus! Just let me know what your looking for on parts, canvas, interior work. I started at Baja in 84' through 08' and I have a 84' 87' and 86' all getting redone myself.

XT
Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Just think your boat was built only 50 miles south of Sandusky OH. in Bucyrus! Just let me know what your looking for on parts, canvas, interior work. I started at Baja in 84' through 08' and I have a 84' 87' and 86' all getting redone myself.

XT
Funny thing is that I lived in Bucyrus till I was 9. Then we moved up to Castalia to be exact. I'm through Bucyrus for work all the time. My father, pictured cutting the stringer has been a firefighter on the city dept for 24 years and is still there! Baja in the blood! Lol

XT, I was the one calling for an interior quote on the force about a month ago, this is the boat. I will defiantly be having you do the interior at some point in the future, your work looks great!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mgoblue06
I will be pulling a section of the bumps strip tonight, lots of rivets are already lose or broken off. And probably will be laminating tonight.

Thoughts anyone?
So when you say laminating does that mean your going to glass the hull and deck joint from the inside?

When I bedded my stringers I made a paste/filler out of resin and aerocel.. Aerocel is like a powder that when you mix it with resin it makes a paste, I also thru some chopped glass in the mix to give it some strength!!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1
So when you say laminating does that mean your going to glass the hull and deck joint from the inside?

When I bedded my stringers I made a paste/filler out of resin and aerocel.. Aerocel is like a powder that when you mix it with resin it makes a paste, I also thru some chopped glass in the mix to give it some strength!!
Didn't mean laminating tonight, sorry, got all the bumps strips off an those rivets removed. What I think I'm going to do is lay about a 3 inch piece of glass on the inside of the joint all the way around. Going to leave the original rivets, and just add another bolt and nut every 18 inches. The rivets can hold the joint when glassine and then the glass and extra hardware will stiffen, probably do me layer, maybe 2. I can tell you it's going to be a PITA to do this in the engine bay! Lol
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Didn't mean laminating tonight, sorry, got all the bumps strips off an those rivets removed. What I think I'm going to do is lay about a 3 inch piece of glass on the inside of the joint all the way around. Going to leave the original rivets, and just add another bolt and nut every 18 inches. The rivets can hold the joint when glassine and then the glass and extra hardware will stiffen, probably do me layer, maybe 2. I can tell you it's going to be a PITA to do this in the engine bay! Lol
Thats awesome I'm glad your going the extra mile and doing it, you will be glad you did!!! I just wish I could have done mine when I had it apart, my problem was is I didnt have the cabin torn out and I didnt want to tear it out!!! LOL

Use a biaxial cloth when glassing the deck joint! 1708 biaxial is what I used in my boat!!!
MORE PICS!!!!!

Fleg

Last edited by fleg1; 08-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Default Mid 80's 320 Force Redo

Not to highjack your photos and progress but since you and fleg are both interested in new interiors I thought this Baja 320 that was vandalized badly and we redid the cockpit area it might give you an idea what we can do? It was actually easier to install newer style Aero bolsters because the old ones were so rotted.

XT
xt@xt-innovationsDOTcom
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp4198.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp4199.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp4201.jpg  

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp4210.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp4823.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp5013.jpg  

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp5015.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp5018.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp5022.jpg  

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-imgp5027.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Not to highjack your photos and progress but since you and fleg are both interested in new interiors I thought this Baja 320 that was vandalized badly and we redid the cockpit area it might give you an idea what we can do? It was actually easier to install newer style Aero bolsters because the old ones were so rotted.

XT
xt@xt-innovationsDOTcom
Looks great! Hopefully going to take some more pics tonight, pulled all the old crud carpet that was in the cuddy last night along with the hull liner, bump strip all off and rivets gone. Hopefully going to have everything sanded down and clean ready to go to mock up the stringer setup and start grassing this weekend! And good tutorial on how to glass it up? Never done glass before but everyone says its a piece of cake?

Also, looking to order 1/4 inch backed white vinyl to glue back in cuddy, not sure what to do on the each side of the cockpit? Any suggestions? It orinigally just showed the edge of the top deck, the rounded out floor joint, and then the hull liner carpet on the hull. Open to ideas.

And I will post some more pics tonight!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Also, looking to order 1/4 inch backed white vinyl to glue back in cuddy, not sure what to do on the each side of the cockpit? Any suggestions? It orinigally just showed the edge of the top deck, the rounded out floor joint, and then the hull liner carpet on the hull. Open to ideas.

And I will post some more pics tonight!
This is what Baja used as "Hulliner" in the cabin areas, but Great Lakes keeps selling it as cockpit white vinyl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAJA-MARINE-...item2eb2075a31

I like carpet on the cockpit side walls if you always keep it covered in the rain.

XT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.