Bravo III on a 25 Outlaw ? >

Bravo III on a 25 Outlaw ?

Notices

Bravo III on a 25 Outlaw ?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo III on a 25 Outlaw ?

My outdrive needs replacement. My buddy at the Merc dealership asked me if I would be going with a B1X again or a BIIIX ? I looked at him like he was speaking Farsi. I told him I didn't think a BIII was an option on such a small boat. He admitted he never saw one on a Baja but has seen plenty of 25-26 foot cruisers/runabouts with BIII's.

I can't afford to get my old drive fixed ($4300) yet or a new drive either, for that matter, so I have time to make the decision. Is this as strange a suggestion as I'm making it out to be? I'm 99.99% sure I'm just going to get my drive fixed or trade it in on a new B1X come tax time but wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on an opportunity to improve the boat's handling, planing, acceleration, etc. for only an extra $1000.

I simply do not have any experience with Bravo III outdrives.

Thanks,

Dave C.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

NFW I would put a Bravo III on a 25 OL.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen a 272 with a III. There's a member on here that has one as well. I have no experience with them.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

The Bravo III is a great option on a small pocket cruiser to counteract the list they tend to get with a boat in the 24-27 foot range with a single screw. The downside is they handle like chit around the docks, especially in reverse.

I would never put one on a performance boat. No real advantage to them in that application and why would you want the expense of replacing two props if you hit something?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

The only comment on here that's correct, is that you do have to replace 2 props if you hit something. Lol

My 272 came from the factory with a B3. Don't know why, but it did...

I wouldn't trade it for ANY drive. I run 63 GPS with a stock 454 Mag. The fuel economy is great, it jumps out of the water, and i've never seen a boat stop on a dime in a marina like this one will. It's marina handling characteristics are excellent.

Most comments from people about 3s are based on third hand reports. Merc doesn't make them for 80+ mph applications, but for stock boats..... I don't know why more boats aren't fitted (cost aside).

Drawbacks- prop selection, prop price, etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I've owned 3 boats with Bravo III's. Again, they have no business on a 25 OL. Not the type of hull they were designed for. Most folks with an OL of whatever length are looking for top end. Bravo III will scrub speed at WOT. Now, if for whatever reason you rarely or never run your 25 OL at WOT and you want to have a better holeshot and more efficient cruising, you could give one a try. Not sure how it will react on a notched transom hull (assuming your OL is notched...can't remember if all 25's had the notched transom or if they added the notch at a certain year).
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've owned 3 boats with Bravo III's. Again, they have no business on a 25 OL. Not the type of hull they were designed for. Most folks with an OL of whatever length are looking for top end. Bravo III will scrub speed at WOT. Now, if for whatever reason you rarely or never run your 25 OL at WOT and you want to have a better holeshot and more efficient cruising, you could give one a try. Not sure how it will react on a notched transom hull (assuming your OL is notched...can't remember if all 25's had the notched transom or if they added the notch at a certain year).
Lol, nothing to do with the hull. I think it's the same hull as a 272. No matter what they were designed for, they work well. Their only limitation is higher speed applications.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

I would consider a Bravo III on a 25 Outlaw if it was a smoking deal and it got me back on the water, but otherwise Id stick with the B1X.

Ive had some experience with Bravo IIIs on several different types of boats including Bajas, a Sea Ray 245 Weekender and a pontoon with a 5.7. What I like the best about the Bravo III is how well they handled around the docks and in tight situations. They always got on plane quick too.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I had a 230sx stingray with a 310hp 454 and a bravo 3, the boat would hole shot like a jet boat. Awesome for skiing tubing etc. dockside manners were great. Current effected it much less than expected. It ran 62gps any day, any load. I got 64 out of it a couple times. I think it's a great option for any sub 65mph boat. But why not buy a used b1 and get back on the water now?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

The new Pachanga 22 boats come factory with a Bravo III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.