Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Maine apps for Tablets >

Maine apps for Tablets

Notices

Maine apps for Tablets

Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Don`t know if this was answered but would the GPS/ app work without a data plan?
The Galaxy II tablet is under $200 and if it does I`m in.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can download the maps but you can only be in real time if you have cell service and use your smart phone as a wieless hotspot.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Don`t know if this was answered but would the GPS/ app work without a data plan?
The Galaxy II tablet is under $200 and if it does I`m in.
My Navionics on my old smart phone is still working, so I would say Yes. Any time you wanted to up date the map just use internet Wi-fi to download the map.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you mean about real time.... If you mean running Navionics with real-time GPS positioning etc., you do NOT need cell or Wi-Fi service. The charts were pre-loaded on your device previously using one of those methods. Only if you suddenly required a new chart, would you require that. But that would never really happen, as you might as well download all charts for your boating areas. Like I said, if it's jailbroken, they're free anyways.

I run it on my old Iphone 3 (no data) and my Ipad 3g (no data either). The 3g Ipad is required, because it is the only Ipad they make with a real GPS receiver built in (none of this "assisted GPS" b.s.) They both work great, but the Ipad is faster. The phone is actually a nice size for the helm though, and I use it more often.

Brings me home safely in total darkness!

Originally Posted by kragar
I believe you can download the maps but you can only be in real time if you have cell service and use your smart phone as a wieless hotspot.