33 Outlaw Tabs vs Planes >

33 Outlaw Tabs vs Planes

Notices

33 Outlaw Tabs vs Planes

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Escrowdog
No...bought it from an older couple in Sunrise Beach. Sorry, camera phone pic my wife took from our dock not real clear. The kids seem to like it :-)) ...

What colors are on the boat and does it have the 4 bolster seats with the bench back seat? Curt's was purple,black and red with the SSE graphic his was a 2000 model.. I was just curious if he had sold the boat since 2007, I know he was trying back then.. at the time he was asking 72g's
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'll share my experience with Bennett:
1) Bennett sets the standard for customer service as a marine manufacturer. They are EXTREMELY helpful.

2) One of the first things you will read on Bennett's website is that they are not designed for boats that run over 60mph. The ST-12s typically ship with a transom mounting plate that has one row of screws. Yes, screws that go into your transom. The ST-16s typically ship with a mounting plate has two rows of screws, but yes--still screws. (Read: your Bennetts are probably not through bolted.)

3) When I was running tab on my 26' Sonic, using the ST-12s, (12" long)--I had to run them fairly aggressively (read: further down) to make a difference in running attitude. On a river, on a bad landing--I had one of the tabs take too much of an impact, and it blew out the plastic line/brass ferrell (nut) on the Bennett pump and coated the entirety of my bilge with ATF fluid. It was a HUGE mess. I talked to Bennett, and we agreed that I would try moving up to their ST-16s (16" long) which would have the better transom plate, and I would not have to run the tabs down as far to get an attitude adjustment of the boat. This worked for me for the span I had the boat. The ST-16" is roughly the same size as a 280 K-Plane, but definitely no where near as strong.

I have limited seat time in a 33 Baja (neighbor had one), but I don't think you need that much tab with the boat. Granted, I've only been on a river in that boat though. IMHO & experience, they react well with drive input, and I've gotten into the practice of leveling running attitude (side-to-side) with the drives--not the tabs.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1
What colors are on the boat and does it have the 4 bolster seats with the bench back seat? Curt's was purple,black and red with the SSE graphic his was a 2000 model.. I was just curious if he had sold the boat since 2007, I know he was trying back then.. at the time he was asking 72g's
Mine is Red, Blue and Silver. 4 Bolsters and a bench.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I'll share my experience with Bennett:
1) Bennett sets the standard for customer service as a marine manufacturer. They are EXTREMELY helpful.

2) One of the first things you will read on Bennett's website is that they are not designed for boats that run over 60mph. The ST-12s typically ship with a transom mounting plate that has one row of screws. Yes, screws that go into your transom. The ST-16s typically ship with a mounting plate has two rows of screws, but yes--still screws. (Read: your Bennetts are probably not through bolted.)

3) When I was running tab on my 26' Sonic, using the ST-12s, (12" long)--I had to run them fairly aggressively (read: further down) to make a difference in running attitude. On a river, on a bad landing--I had one of the tabs take too much of an impact, and it blew out the plastic line/brass ferrell (nut) on the Bennett pump and coated the entirety of my bilge with ATF fluid. It was a HUGE mess. I talked to Bennett, and we agreed that I would try moving up to their ST-16s (16" long) which would have the better transom plate, and I would not have to run the tabs down as far to get an attitude adjustment of the boat. This worked for me for the span I had the boat. The ST-16" is roughly the same size as a 280 K-Plane, but definitely no where near as strong.

I have limited seat time in a 33 Baja (neighbor had one), but I don't think you need that much tab with the boat. Granted, I've only been on a river in that boat though. IMHO & experience, they react well with drive input, and I've gotten into the practice of leveling running attitude (side-to-side) with the drives--not the tabs.
Great info! Ya, the drive trim seems to do wonders really. However the lack of accurate indicators is driving me nuts! The drive indicators are the round needle gauge style are have zero accuracy. The tab indicator is a cheap LED that's hard to see in sunlight. I am considering at least doing mechanical indicators..or finding a more accurate electronic indicator...if there is such a thing? I can live with the tab indicator, but not having accurate drive is just irritating. So far the tabs work fine for leveling the boat. But as you said, you have to put them down far enough you can see spray coming off them to do anything noticeable. Seems to ride port side down a little with two people in it?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

My 33 never needed much tab at all. Actually anything past neutral would scrub significant speed.
That hull is awesome I would`nt worry about it.