need some help from you islander guys >

need some help from you islander guys

Notices

need some help from you islander guys

Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajnoe3
As someone who has owned both a Stingray and a Baja there are a lot of differences to consider. I had a Stingray 220LX with a heavily built 350 and Stingray's hull is much faster than Baja's. I could clear 70 mph BUT the boat was not comfortable in rough water and had serious chine walk at high speed. A Baja of similar size will be heavier and has a traditional deep-vee design, while the Stingray has a Z-plane hull that is essentially riding on a pad at the stern. The Baja will burn more fuel, be a little slower with the same power, but will ride much better, especially in rough water, handle better, and in general be much more comfortable. Both are good choices and if you're only going to be on a fairly smooth lake then the Stingray may be a better bet but any time you're in rough water you'll regret the Stingray (as I did when I took it out on Erie to Put-in-Bay and the wind picked up).

Thanks for the info. I had no idea a stingray would be faster than an islander with the same power, kinda surprising actually. We boat locally on lakes and rivers so big water is never an issue
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Had a 272 and it was a great boat! Would pull tubes all day and I would even wakeboard behind it. Would fit 10 comfortably. Ran about 60-65 with 454 mag mpi. Handled rough water great. Only problem is getting parts.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

We started w a 212 islander. Had pedestal seats. I have seen 232 with pedestals and stand up bolsters. Make sure you get the stand up bolsters like 252 and 272s have.
Or go straight to a 33 and save your self another up grade in 3 yrs lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quinlan
We started w a 212 islander. Had pedestal seats. I have seen 232 with pedestals and stand up bolsters. Make sure you get the stand up bolsters like 252 and 272s have.
Or go straight to a 33 and save your self another up grade in 3 yrs lol.
Yeah that's not gonna happen. First off I can't afford a boat that big. Plus our lake isn't near big enough for one
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We just bought a 232 with the 6.2 MPI (ours is a cuddy though) so far we love it, rides great. Good size for 4-6 (depending on size) adults comfortably. We just tried wake boarding behind it this past weekend and was pretty decent. Top speed is mid-50's with a 19P 3-blade (looking to change props). I'd definitly say the 232 Islander is a good choice. Stand up bolsters are the only way to go when they are an option. Only thing is the passenger can't face backward for spotting in a bolster.