Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
New to me 25 outlaw won't pull rpms? >

New to me 25 outlaw won't pull rpms?

Notices

New to me 25 outlaw won't pull rpms?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 25 outlaw won't pull rpms?

Just bought a 25 outlaw and took out on the water for the first time today. It is a 1998 with 280hrs on the meter. The boat is very slow to plane And wouldn't pull over 4000rpm at 49mph it has a mirage plus 21p I am very confused as to why I am not seeing better performance. The prop is a little dirty from previous owner leaving in the water last year but I didn't know how much that should affect performance ??? Please help, thanks p.s. that was six people and gear with stock 330hp 7.4
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Registered

That's too much weight to make a good guess. Take it back out with a light load and see what it'll do.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you test out the boat before purchasing it? If so how did it do then? ...

I agree with Crossett, between weight, and not much seat time with it being a new boat to you your probably not going to see the performance It's capable of! Are you using any tab to help it get on plane with the drive all the way down? I would also Use a gps to see where your speed is, I wouldnt trust the gauge as they are never accurate, if your at 40mph at 4000 rpms or so your about right . I'm thinking some seat and throttle time should help, also learning the boats attitude ( likes/dislikes ) is critical !

If after some time it's still having a tuff time planning, and rpms are not where they need to be you might start looking at prop options!

Congrats on the new boat !!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Did you test out the boat before purchasing it? If so how did it do then? ...

I agree with Crossett, between weight, and not much seat time with it being a new boat to you your probably not going to see the performance It's capable of! Are you using any tab to help it get on plane with the drive all the way down? I would also Use a gps to see where your speed is, I wouldnt trust the gauge as they are never accurate, if your at 40mph at 4000 rpms or so your about right . I'm thinking some seat and throttle time should help, also learning the boats attitude ( likes/dislikes ) is critical !

If after some time it's still having a tuff time planning, and rpms are not where they need to be you might start looking at prop options!

Congrats on the new boat !!
Thanks for the advice I will try to get back out there today and post my results. The 49 mph at 4000rpm was a GPS speed. Love the boat, just want to get the most out of it.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would make sure to take it easy on the throttle coming out of the hole, don't want to peg it, you will be replacing the drive before you know it! Dump the tabs and drive and you should plane with no problems, then start to adjust tabs and the drive , small adjustments till you feel the boat lighten up ! Also, if your not familiar with tabs, at speed you need to make very small adjustment at a time, if not you could get in a sketchy situation fast! Good luck and be safe!

Pics?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

With a stock 7.4L motor and a full load your speed is about right. It could your tach is off. Try it again with no more than one passenger and see what you get for speed. I am guessing the best speed with your motor and prop will be about 55 mph in perfect conditions. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Took the boat out again tonight between rain showers with two people and 3/4 tank. 4100rpm and 51mph GPS. Running a 21p mirage plus with a little scum on it. What to do? Is this slow or about right I thought high fifties was within reach on this setup
Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Registered

My 25 is a mag so its hard to compare but a 21p and only 4100 seems low, seems there is a power issue to me.

Last edited by Baja25PJ; 07-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your rpms seem way low to me! How does your hull look, any build up or grime? If not you might want to look at prop options! BB blades should be able to help you with your prop! Also, did you take it out with the previous owner, if so how did it do then?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Well unfortunately I never water tested with previous owner. The hull is clean. I am pretty sure I am looking at prop replacement. How much do you think this will cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.