Notices

38 Special Owners - amenities, etc.?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I'll second this reply

She's a jack off all trades
I'd say mine's the slowest boat in the fast boat crowd and the fast one in the slow boat crowd
It does draw attention though mostly with the weekenders, and unfortunately some negativity with the. fast boat crowd.
For the price I'd say that's an awesome boat at the asking price if it surveys well.
I'd guess 55 for a top speed with all the amenities of a travel trailer and most likely decent fuel consumption.
Trust me on this, I'd give up a 73 top speed for mid 50's if I could get the gph nyw enjoys.
If it fits your needs, go for it!!!

See ya,
Kelly
I would agree but Baja didn't really market the 38 as a go fast. You are going to be hard pressed to find something go fast with the aminities of the 38.

Kelly,
Did you ever get rid of all the parts on that other 38 you had? PM me.
Juan
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jamontes;4005028]I would agree but Baja didn't really market the 38 as a go fast. You are going to be hard pressed to find something go fast with the aminities of the 38.

Donzi 38zx

Just went from 38 special to 38 zx. The zx is best of 38 special with much better ride and performance. Night and day difference.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Wilks;4005063]
Originally Posted by jamontes
I would agree but Baja didn't really market the 38 as a go fast. You are going to be hard pressed to find something go fast with the aminities of the 38.

Donzi 38zx

Just went from 38 special to 38 zx. The zx is best of 38 special with much better ride and performance. Night and day difference.
Agreed... Should have mentioned "for the money". The 38ZX is wicked cool!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=jamontes;4005166]
Originally Posted by Wilks

Agreed... Should have mentioned "for the money". The 38ZX is wicked cool!
X2

Wilks, I've never boarded a 38ZX and am curious as to how much headroom is avaliable at the head and galley. Congrats on your ride, I'm sure she's sweet indeed.

Juan, the trailer is sold and a few knick knack items too. I had the busiest summer since 07 and was working 7 days 80-90hrs a week for 5 months and did a terrible job of getting on the board, for a few month's I didn't even log in for fear I'd not get enough sleep for another 12-14 hrs of work tomorrow.
Call me on my cell 832-731-5994.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=huskyrider;4005220]
Originally Posted by jamontes

X2

Wilks, I've never boarded a 38ZX and am curious as to how much headroom is avaliable at the head and galley. Congrats on your ride, I'm sure she's sweet indeed.

Juan, the trailer is sold and a few knick knack items too. I had the busiest summer since 07 and was working 7 days 80-90hrs a week for 5 months and did a terrible job of getting on the board, for a few month's I didn't even log in for fear I'd not get enough sleep for another 12-14 hrs of work tomorrow.
Call me on my cell 832-731-5994.

See ya,
Kelly
Head room at galley is around 6' or a little over. I am 6' 2" and don't have to hunch over. I like the ice chest fridge the ZX has over the standard fridge on the Special. The Special has a little bigger head than the ZX. ZX has a little more seating area underneath.

Not bashing Baja in any way as I had three before the Donzi. The Donzi is wayyyy better built boat. Structural, Wiring, Plumbing, etc, etc.
You would never convince me that two 38' 9'3" wide boats would ride so much different. I thought the Special rode great then rode in a ZX in some of the roughest water at LOTO. The ZX is much better with no creeks or flex. One word to sum it up = solid.

Last edited by Wilks; 10-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM
NYW
Registered

I've actually never compared a Donzi 38 ZX to a Baja 38 Special, but they do share quite similar dimensions. Looks to me, that the 38 Special still offers more in the cockpit, (depending on the chosen lay out) at least if the boat comes with the "entertainment option" like ours. The 38 ZX's seem to have a more traditional go fast cockpit setup. I took a quick peak at the 38 ZX's for sale and they all seem to come with the "blue" motors, so the engine maintenance will be higher compared to a 38 Special, that usually comes with the normal 502 or 496 engines. Of course the 38 Specials were also available with the higher hp blue motors, like Kelly's boat, but the majority of them seemed to be with the regular Mercruisers. I wonder if the 38 ZX was available with the regular "black" motors and if anyone has any experience of one with lower hp engines?

After having sold and inspected both Bajas and Donzis, I have to agree, that Donzi did do a better job as far as the rigging goes. Baja did use good components as well, but on some of the boats the factory rigging left a lot to hope for. We did major upgrades on our 38 Special and I'm still amazed about some of the stuff I found during the process. I think that the boat handles well, but with the diesels she's no speed demon for sure and I"m sure we'll never brake the 60 mp/h marker... As far as cruising speeds go, we're right there with the 496 HO boats with way lower fuel burn. The Yanmars don't really offer much thrills either when you start them up at the dock compared to a gas V8 boat, but I'm still very positively surprised how well they work in this boat. For someone looking for a 100% go fast, this is not the boat no matter what engines are in it. For someone looking for a hybrid between a cruiser and a go fast, there's not too many other options out there. Baja sold a lot of 38 Specials probably because it offered something, that the other builders didn't and the price wasn't sky high either.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a project boat. I glanced at it last week. http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory/9070/
Old 10-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoya
If you want a project boat. I glanced at it last week. http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory/9070/
I wish we were ready for the next project, I would be all over that one, for the right price of course.
I would have to dump the extra set of bolsters though.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

I had my 38 for two seasons. The fiberglass and interior were perfect. I had under 250 hours and engine was strong.

- I'm 6'1 and had plenty of head room in cabin and the head was plenty big enough. I never showered, but suspect it wouldn't be an issue. I enjoyed my boat and it fit 6-8 people comfortably. For non go-fast boaters, your typical weekender, great boat. I'd like to go back to something similiar down the road. I only sold mine to go faster and I wanted a brand new boat.

We learned we dont need the large size and overnight capabilities.

I will say, I fear I may miss the ride. The 38 took the meanest of waves with ease. Top end was maybe 57-59mph....my fuel consumption wasn't the best after a weekend of cruising @ 4200rpms. Granted, I wasn't trying to conserve any either....

Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it if you're not ready to get into the cruiser world. In my eyes, it's a sweet cruiser, slow go-fast.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 AM
Registered

I wanted a .38 specail for a long time. Got a 252, and used it every weekend from march -November for 6 years.. overnighting all the time.

When it came time to move up, I started looking at 342s as well. They where sportier then the 38s, but you can still find them loaded up. that was key too me. I did not need much more cabin persay like head room but just amenities.

I got mine from the original owner, 14 hours on the genny, VacuFlush never used, 134 housrs on the big blocks. To me its the best of both worlds. I boat with both go fast boats, and crusiers, and one or two house boats.

So for me to cruse at 45mph, not burning to bad on fuel. at 3400rpms, adn then once stop, have genny running AC, a usable head, and fridge,and stove eye is awesome. Breakfast cooked on a the eye, cold waters when waking up hung over. all of it.

anywway I would check them out as well. Donzi makes a 33zx loaded up with genny too. BUT one trade off with going to donzi, there have NO STORAGE. i mean none in comparison ot the baja model that is compairable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.