Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol? >

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Notices

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about this as well. Just finished up a 548ci in my 98 24. All I had access to was a 22p B1 and its currently at 72 at 5600. Wondering where I should go setup wise to get the speeds up. Motor dyno'd 650hp/675lbft and I know there is still a ton of room to grow in the setup.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now should I go with a +3 box or a neutral box? With a neutral box I'm gonna guess that will lower the X even further as the transom isn't flat so with a +3 box you'd still have to raise the motor 3" accordingly correct? Just trying to figure out what's exactly involved with installing the box. Also I know the steering would have to be mounted on the box wings or have to make extension blocks off of the transom? Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I tried a 24 on your boat, was sluggish. A few things to address over the winter then can work on propping it. Definitely look for a -2 shorty to start though.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Now should I go with a +3 box or a neutral box? With a neutral box I'm gonna guess that will lower the X even further as the transom isn't flat so with a +3 box you'd still have to raise the motor 3" accordingly correct? Just trying to figure out what's exactly involved with installing the box. Also I know the steering would have to be mounted on the box wings or have to make extension blocks off of the transom? Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming.
I believe a neutral box, keeps the x at the same exact height as it is now, and a +3 will raise it 3 inches. They are designed for the transom angle. I have the x raised 4 or 4.5 inches cant really remember now on my 240..and I would love to try a shorty on my boat to see what it really does. I don't need a box on my boat though, cause its already really nose "high" happy with just a little trim. My boat also has no cuddy in it, (race boat set up). So there really is no weight in the front of the boat.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Sounds to me like you want to add a stellings box.

John jr
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Sounds to me like you want to add a stellings box.

John jr

Hey john you should come out Saturday for the end of season fun run kareokemike is throwing. Most of the stops are off the patapsco. And yes I'm very tempted to buy an extension box this off season

Hey stilliberator did you ever find those hatch hinges you were looking for? And how does your boat plane out with the X raised up that much?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Hey john you should come out Saturday for the end of season fun run kareokemike is throwing. Most of the stops are off the patapsco.
Sorry to get off subject but where is there to hang out on the patapsco? We have been looking for some new places to stop for a bite or a drink. And that river is only about a half hour boat ride I think!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I raised mine 4" & it works great going straight but sucks for water sports like tubing with the kids. Every time you turn the boat sharply to get the tube outside the wake the prop blows out or slips. 5 blade prop helped but you lose most of the speed advantage. I have considered notching the transom but doesn’t seem like many have tried it with success.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Have you tried a 1" spacer? How is it in rough water? Lose bight easily?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Sorry to get off subject but where is there to hang out on the patapsco? We have been looking for some new places to stop for a bite or a drink. And that river is only about a half hour boat ride I think!
Hey man, thanks for the kind words on the other post about my boat. And there are tons of bars/restaurants off of the patapsco (not really directly in the patapsco but off of the creeks that dump into the patapsco.

Here's a short list

You have rowboat willies in the millers island channel. (Used to have dock of the bay but they closed up shop)
Cheshire crab in bodkin creek. Directly south across the mouth of the patapsco from the millers island cut.
Mikes crab house north in rock creek
Nabbs creek inn (in Stoney creek)
Stoney creek inn also In Stoney creek (used to have good food I've heard they Changed personnel and I haven't been this season)
You have reckless rics in furnace creek (off of Curtis creek) as well as 2-3 other hole in the wall bars/food spots right in a row. Beach bar, dukes and Afew others but they're pretty much dives
You then have pirate mutanty in Marley creek (also off of Curtis creek) which has good food and you can go via boat but it's not waterfront which is kind of weird because you can't see your boat.

Lastly you have bear creek which is on the Dundalk side it is the creek that runs next to the steel mill and 695 cuts over it. Personally my favorite spot which is hard yacht cafe, during the summer there's live music 7 days a week. you'll see Marty bass the local weather man in there (local Baltimore legend if anyone has met him you have a Marty story)
You have seasoned mariner which has some decent food but seems to change names every other season
And lastly the seahorse which has decent food as well don't go there often though.

Sorry for the long winded response. there are definitely options though. Feel free to hit me up any time your down and I'd be happy to show you around, go for a boat ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.