36 outlaw quality >

36 outlaw quality

Notices

36 outlaw quality

Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilks
They hit low 90's with 750 per side. Drives become the problem. Personally I would find a boat that goes the speed you want in place of upgrading. In the end it will be cheaper and less headaches. Been there, done that.
I'd like to see that.

Buck
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ What he said. I have a 2000 and I know how much power it takes. And how much drives cost...And how long they last... And I am very sure Doc's boat never hit 95 and that was with 850 per side. He was very disappointed after all the money he spent on the conversion.

Here's the comparo...36 Outlaw has HUGE cockpit and very nice roomy cabin. The ride is good in the rough and takes a good driver to get the most out of it. Bravo drives will not last with a power upgrade. Put Arneson's on it and your set. And broke

The 38 Cig T/S great ride anywhere. With modest power can run into the 90's. Typical small cockpit and next to no cabin space and only a porta potty. Older straight bottom Cigs ride awesome and have larger cabins, but take a lot more power like the 36 to go fast.

If I had the funds, I would buy a 40 Outlaw, put some reliable 850's in it along with Arneson's and have a huge cockpit and a huge cabin and go have fun. That set up would run low 90's all day.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-26-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilks
They hit low 90's with 750 per side. Drives become the problem. Personally I would find a boat that goes the speed you want in place of upgrading. In the end it will be cheaper and less headaches. Been there, done that.
Not in a million years brother. I made the mistake off adding blowers to my 2003 36 with 500s, it turned in a crowd pleasing 79 mph at 5psi on a perfect day.

Dock Holiday's boat is currently in n/a form and owned by a friend. 540cu n/a power, est 675hp, custom tuned in boat, xrs with imco lowers, dry exhaust, running 78 mph and has had extensive prop work trying to get more.

Like others have said, not the boat to try to make fast. It is the boat to have 10 people on! It has great lines! Girls don't know they aren't fast! Spacious cabin (hate the head however). Easy to drive in all conditions, I can't think of what one would have to do to spin one out....crazy stable. I can't speak for the strength of the hull, but I never had complaints in rough water.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fleg1
The 36 is the old 36 cigarette hull.. IMO the Baja just looks better than the cig look at the interior and cuddy on both boats and tell me that the Baja isn't nicer looking! As far as speed it takes a ton of power to get either one of them to run in the 90's, there both big heavy boats. I have a friend with a 38 TG with 950's and he runs 98 mph , when Mark Terry owned Dock Holiday he had 850's in his 36 outlaw and it ran 95 mph! So with said the 2 boats are similar but I like the interiors better on the Baja over the cigarette...
The old cig hull was sold to Force, who slashed a few boats off the mold. The mold was measured for reference to build the 36 OL mold, but it was not a direct splash.

That number is a little high on the Doc boat, however the thing is a true work of art. We sometimes joke that he went bankrupt trying to get a Baja to do 100
Old 09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
^^^^^ What he said. I have a 2000 and I know how much power it takes. And how much drives cost...And how long they last... And I am very sure Doc's boat never hit 95 and that was with 850 per side. He was very disappointed after all the money he spent on the conversion.

Here's the comparo...36 Outlaw has HUGE cockpit and very nice roomy cabin. The ride is good in the rough and takes a good driver to get the most out of it. Bravo drives will not last with a power upgrade. Put Arneson's on it and your set. And broke

The 38 Cig T/S great ride anywhere. With modest power can run into the 90's. Typical small cockpit and next to no cabin space and only a porta potty. Older straight bottom Cigs ride awesome and have larger cabins, but take a lot more power like the 36 to go fast.

If I had the funds, I would buy a 40 Outlaw, put some reliable 850's in it along with Arneson's and have a huge cockpit and a huge cabin and go have fun. That set up would run low 90's all day.
Thanks for the info, I guess may main concern was the strength between the 2 hulls. Is 1 thicker than the other, it seemes like they build them the same with bolsa core but the cig is 1500lbs heavier.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

The hull can handle 2000 HP. The main difference from a Baja to the Cig, is that the Baja has less bulk heads so it is just not as stiff. It will not break in half , it just does not feel as solid when hitting the rough stuff. When I was down at the LOTO shootout this year, we had a blast busting thru the huge waves/slop made by the big cruisers.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
The old cig hull was sold to Force, who slashed a few boats off the mold. The mold was measured for reference to build the 36 OL mold, but it was not a direct splash.

That number is a little high on the Doc boat, however the thing is a true work of art. We sometimes joke that he went bankrupt trying to get a Baja to do 100
Docs boat was bad to the bone.. I couldn't remember the exact speed but it was lower 90's from what I remember with the 850's and I recall him saying that the motors had been de-tuned down from 950's.. I think the boat had a chance at the century mark with the 950's..
Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by outlw36
Performance boat center has a 2001 cig with 565's and 600 hp for 99k
and a 94 with smith power blower motors with 750 hp for 85k
Which is a better boat.
Not comparing either of these boats, but there's very few straight bottom guns I would pick over a TS
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

The cig is gonna be built thicker and heavier with more bulkheads, that's just a fact.... theres a reason its heavier....
Originally Posted by outlw36
Thanks for the info, I guess may main concern was the strength between the 2 hulls. Is 1 thicker than the other, it seemes like they build them the same with bolsa core but the cig is 1500lbs heavier.