322 vs 30 outlaw hull >

322 vs 30 outlaw hull

Notices

322 vs 30 outlaw hull

Old 12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 322 vs 30 outlaw hull

Are the hulls the same on these ?? I assume the outlaw has a faster design but I'm not sure?? I really want a 33-36 outlaw but I saw a nice 322....Opinions??
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 322, 30 and 33 all have the same hull design to the best of my knowledge, the difference is the gunwhale and transom characteristics. The 322 has higher gunwhales which inherently make it a taller and better boat for rougher sea's (aka offshore) while the 30 and 33 Outlaws are shorter in stature and designed more for all out speed rather than surf. The 322 also incorporates a built in transom platform/step while the Outlaws have add on's. I have ridden in and worked on all three models and by far IMO the 322 is the more stable and predictable boat, but not the fastest. I enjoy mine.

Disclaimer: [These are just things i've noticed over the years, so the accuracy is not gauranteed.]
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't just the Deck taller on the 322? XT would know for sure..

Trip, how is it more stable and predictable?? I may agree with you with 3 blades or spinning IN on the 33ol b/c my blew out and would fall over in "sharper" turns in a small canal, but 4 blades spinning out fixed all that and its very stable. Spinning IN felt unstable but didn't blow out.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All three are different hulls, but they do share the same deadrise and 1 & 1/2 set of strakes per side. They all have a delta pad keel, but the 33 is more rounded, and the 322 is much shorter and flat like the 30ol. Chine width is the most narrow on the 322 and level. The 33, and 30ol are wider with a 2 and 5 degree down angle. The 322 has very tall hull sides mostly at the rear, but a shorter overall running surface than the other hulls. Owners of all three models will most likely claim to have the better design.

XT

Last edited by XT-Innovator; 12-20-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

What does the chine angle help & hurt?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default handling....

Originally Posted by nailit
Isn't just the Deck taller on the 322? XT would know for sure..

Trip, how is it more stable and predictable?? I may agree with you with 3 blades or spinning IN on the 33ol b/c my blew out and would fall over in "sharper" turns in a small canal, but 4 blades spinning out fixed all that and its very stable. Spinning IN felt unstable but didn't blow out.
Hey nailt.......... I've just never felt completely confident in an outlaw, maybe it's because I'm just used to my 322, not dinging the Outlaws. It can turn on a dime spinning in or out but performs best with transom lift. It has a solid feel to it when crushing 4 foot rollers and doesn't have that BS sub floor that the newer boats have. I hate that design !!!

Also nailit.........What boating events are there to do in LA this time of the year? Any? Any thing ever happen on Ponchartrain?

Last edited by Trippin; 12-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never actually had chance to get mine in rough. Had her in 2-3s coming back from a horn island run in gulf, but wife and friends sat in back so i just took it easy and plowed though that was pretty smooth.

Not too much going on right now, weather is hot one day and cold the next. And by cold, I mean 40s :-)

We have a club that lists all event though.. www.gcoffshore.com

Take care
Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
What does the chine angle help & hurt?
A narrow and flat chine will ride smoother in rough water but it tends to be easier to stuff the bow and more spray in your face. It will also roll over on its side more in slower hard turns and not plain off as easy. The wider the chine the more stable the hull is at rest, it helps to get the boat on plain faster, the hull stays more level in hard turns, and the downward angle really helps to redirect the spray and help in turns. The trade-off is your effective deadrise is less with a wider chine and the boat can be a bit rougher ride in big waves. I think it all makes sence if you think about it.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Are the hulls the same on these ?? I assume the outlaw has a faster design but I'm not sure?? I really want a 33-36 outlaw but I saw a nice 322....Opinions??
The 322 is an updated version of the 320ES.

A friend of mine had one ( a 320)a few years ago, it's a 30' boat, nice cabin ( with a high center of gravity that goes along with it) Mcleod bolsters were standard,
engine access wasn't good.

It had a large pad and with inside rotation, had a tendency to fall off the pad, which at 70+ wasn't a fun feeling....outside rotation, it behaved fine.

They did reduce the pad size on the 322 ( and changed the styling of the engine compartment vents)

When they were building both, I preferred the 320 over the 32magnum/caliber/outlaw, up unit I drove both models.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thx for the link...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.