Baja 442 in Grasonville, MD?

Notices

Baja 442 in Grasonville, MD?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 442 in Grasonville, MD?

Hey Guys,

This boat has been listed for sale for quite a while. Does anyone here know anything about the boat's history? Or has anyone researched this boat for purchase and passed on it? At $57k asking price I am thinking it may be worth putting a few bucks into. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999.../United-States

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Graysinncreekmar; 02-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a repo. It's sat outside without a cover on it. I know the repo yard it's at though.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Yeah, that sucks. It has been there a LONG time. So long that it is in the satellite photo on google maps. If weather damage in the cockpit is the worst of it then 57k (asking, not paying) still seems like a bargain. new cockpit interior, carpet, gauges and bezels should solve that part. From the photos, which are probably the best case scenario from when it first showed up it looks like all of the cabin interior Is shot too. How much do you ballpark an entire interior on one of these? Cockpit and cabin, Carpet, seats, and headliners?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Registered

I'd swear that this is the same boat I looked at on the internet for sale about 3 1/2 to 4 years ago.
It was on a free listing "for sale by owner site" and not the mainstream boat sites like boat trader yachtworld etc.
Started at less than 50k and ended up in mid 30's before it was removed
She looked a little rough in the pic's than but not terrible
It had a poor running engine, which I guessed meant shot and needed replacing, and a drive which need to be replaced that had been removed.
I never made contact as it was a bigger boat than I wanted with trips plus problems that I didn't want to deal with.
The last time I saw it I thought about making contact but didn't as I wanted a boat that ran when I purchased it after passing a survey and seatrial. It just seemed a bit risky.
I wonder if she got purchased and repaired and then I guess got repo'd
It is a lot of boat for the coin if it's seaworrthy

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Graysinncreekmar
Yeah, that sucks. It has been there a LONG time. So long that it is in the satellite photo on google maps. If weather damage in the cockpit is the worst of it then 57k (asking, not paying) still seems like a bargain. new cockpit interior, carpet, gauges and bezels should solve that part. From the photos, which are probably the best case scenario from when it first showed up it looks like all of the cabin interior Is shot too. How much do you ballpark an entire interior on one of these? Cockpit and cabin, Carpet, seats, and headliners?
New cockpit interior 6-8k
New cuddy interior 6-9k
New gauges 1-2k
If it needs a motor and drive your looking at 5-9k plus labor.

Also you forget about all the water damage if this boat has sat outside for 3-4 yrs with no cover there is going to be water damage to boat. I think 57k is high for it needing that much work also consider if it needs anything Baja specific your not going to be able to get parts.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
New cockpit interior 6-8k
New cuddy interior 6-9k
New gauges 1-2k
If it needs a motor and drive your looking at 5-9k plus labor.

Also you forget about all the water damage if this boat has sat outside for 3-4 yrs with no cover there is going to be water damage to boat. I think 57k is high for it needing that much work also consider if it needs anything Baja specific your not going to be able to get parts.
I'd say it'll cost more on everything except cockpit upholstery and gauges
If I remember correctly it was in Georgia
Where did you see it
I'm pretty doggone sure it's the same boat as I remember 1999 and what a sweet asking price it was

See ya
Kelly
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I'd say it'll cost more on everything except cockpit upholstery and gauges
If I remember correctly it was in Georgia
Where did you see it
I'm pretty doggone sure it's the same boat as I remember 1999 and what a sweet asking price it was

See ya
Kelly
http://www.labmarineinc.com/Page.asp...-Baja-442.aspx

Its a repo yard in MD I've looked at 2 boats there. I guarantee it's sitting outside like you see it.

If it's been sitting like that for 2-3 yrs wood in interior is junk. Your looking at 6k easy on a boat that size for new skins, foam and starboard. Gauges if you use off brand(autometer) you could get away with less, but for Livorsi or Gaffrig your looking at 1000.00 I'm guessing on low side on motor and drive assuming you do work yourself and find used.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
http://www.labmarineinc.com/Page.asp...-Baja-442.aspx

Its a repo yard in MD I've looked at 2 boats there. I guarantee it's sitting outside like you see it.

If it's been sitting like that for 2-3 yrs wood in interior is junk. Your looking at 6k easy on a boat that size for new skins, foam and starboard. Gauges if you use off brand(autometer) you could get away with less, but for Livorsi or Gaffrig your looking at 1000.00 I'm guessing on low side on motor and drive assuming you do work yourself and find used.
When you say the interior wood is shot are you talking about the cabinets inside the salon, and do you remember the hours on it?
I'd say that if she had the motor replaced or refreshed and a new drive it's a head start.
If it's the salon wood and a guy had real good trim carpenter skills you could fashion one of a kind interior.cabinets with upscale countertops. By ditching a sofa and building an entertainment center flanked by them I'd do it with a high def 42 and a slide out tabletop with desk seating under it for a foldout X-frame fabric seat or cabinets and drawers beneath. Then it should just be carpet and a single sofa to reupholstor if the headliner and wall fabric weren't shot too.
I'm betting that the shop purchased it cheap on a short sale, before the owner lost it to the lender, as I've never heard of this company as a repo whloesaler. I really doubted their "we took it on trade" comment on yachtworld
I've actually got a bud who's looking right now for a 50-60k boat with overnighting capability for a couple.
If you get a chance call me on my cell as I've got some questions about it and you've seen it firsthand.
At the right price and with a surveyor verifying that the moisture wasn't invasive on the reinforcing stringers it might have some potential. I just wonder what blue book would be for establishing an agreed value insurance policy.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Registered

Looks like this boat has come back as a 2004 model and now is in Miami. Looks like someone spent some $$$ on it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004...s#.WNvHGbnD_bg

By the way... Baja did not build the 442 in 2004.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Thats one of those refurbished in 04 so it becomes a 04 model type boats....