Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
272 water damage - how to check for rot? >

272 water damage - how to check for rot?

Notices

272 water damage - how to check for rot?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 272 water damage - how to check for rot?

I've read on here where some new 272 owners have had to replace the floor and more due to rot because baja did not properly cover all the wood in some of these boats. I'm considering buying a 272 and have read you can't just go by looks. I'm having the survey / inspection done but when I asked if he would check for rot he said he could look but to check it all he'd have to cut a hole in the floor.

Hold on there partner ...it's not my boat, yet. There has to be a better way or some way to check these boats structural integrity without cutting a hole in the floor, right? I sure hope so.

Please advise.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most surveyers tap with a soft (rubber) mallet and listen for dead (soft) spots. If it is the gas tank cover (center floor section) you can usually feel that just by walking on it. Those were screwed down and many times water can infiltrate past the screws. If it feels soft and squishy, the core is likely waterlogged and disbonded.

Stringers and transoms are a litte more difficult to check, particularly stringers since they are not a big flat area that readily lends itself to a hammer test. If you are really concerned, pull a couple of screws out of the trim tab mounts on the transom and look for water sepage. The outdrive should seal with an o-ring and that is difficult to mess up. Trim tabs and exhaust, that sort of thing, would require sealant or bedding to be used during assembly and the potential for poor work at the factory or sometime after factory assembly is greater.

Dan
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Registered

Thanks Dan.
I do think the floor can be checked without to much trouble. It's the stringers I'm concerned most with. If I read right some bajas that simply sit outside during the summer will have water pass through them when it rains, that can sit in there and damage the stringers. Not sure but that's how I read it. I was hoping some could use a mini camera or something to go up the drain hole and get an idea if you have a problem or not. All new to me, and hopefully I have nothing to worry about but knowing it can happen I prefer to be safe rather than sorry down the road.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Just about the only place on a Baja that can get you in trouble on stringers, at least on the ones I have seen and I believe this covers your 272, is that at the back of the stringers, next to the transom, you may see a drain hole about 1 1/2 inches in diameter drilled through the stringers. This was cut after the fiberglass was put over the stringers. This is usually just painted over so ther really is raw wood exposed there except for the paint. My 2001 252 is like that and has no problems. Others have reported some issues. You can get to that hole and put a moisture meter on it and check it. A camera will not tell you much.

Another problem area are the shelves for the batteries in the engine bay. These had all sorts of fasteners screwed into them that were not sealed (sort of like the center section on the floor). No real way to check them without drilling a small hole into them and seeing if it comes out wet (or dark). If you do that just epoxy the hole back up with some thickened epoxy. A 1/8 inch drill is all you should need.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Zero G, good choice. I loved my 272 so much, I bought a newer one. Check out my 1996 Anniversary Edition for sale in the Classifieds - mint with NO structural rot.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o57436-en.html

Incidentally, it has no drain holes drilled in the stringers. They either forgot, or were not doing it in 1996. I did have to replace the wood in the sunpad too, as it was starting to go. I coated all the wood in FG resin..... can't hurt.

My 2000 that I just replaced it with, has the drains. I tap tested the stringers on the new boat and everything is crisp, but I am going to reseal those drain holes regardless.

No need to drill the center floor... Lol. Almost all 272s will have a soft spot in the center floor. My 1996 has it just in front of the rear bench, and my 2000 has it by the left seat. Easy fix - remove the floor, cut out the soft wood, replace wood, reglass in. Nothing to it. It's the structural wood you want to check. Stringers, and transom.

What year boat are you looking at?

Last edited by puzzleboy; 06-06-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Any surveyor worth his salt should have one of these in his bag of tricks.

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Composite.../dp/B002MYDV08

Of course, he'd need to know how to interpret the readings.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered

Thanks guys!!!!! Very informative info.

I'm in the process of buying a 2000 272 Boss. I know it has the drain, but now at least I know what to check. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered

I just picked up a 2000 272 a couple weeks ago. Very clean low-hour boat. I went over mine thoroughly and did not detect any issues other than the the fuel tank inspection cover softness, but I was under the impression that most of them had this characteristic regardless of condition....Anyone know for sure if that is correct.

ZeroG keep us posted. I wanted a BOSS...mainly for the windscreen, but when I came across the one I got, I couldn't pass on it.....Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Thanks Crew272. Good luck with yours. Glad to hear you had no issues, and hope mine is the same.
How about posting a pic of your new to you boat? I'll do the same once I get mine. I have to wait another week and a half for the inspection. Busy busy place.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZeroG
Thanks Crew272. Good luck with yours. Glad to hear you had no issues, and hope mine is the same.
How about posting a pic of your new to you boat? I'll do the same once I get mine. I have to wait another week and a half for the inspection. Busy busy place.
Thanks man! Here you go....

Last edited by CREW272; 06-07-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.