35 OL need help on shoot thru hull transducer >

35 OL need help on shoot thru hull transducer

Notices

35 OL need help on shoot thru hull transducer

Old 08-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 35 OL need help on shoot thru hull transducer

I have a Hummingbird HDR 610 this thing has not read correctly since I owned it works sometimes other time not. If I'm in water 6' or less it reads 500' rarely reads correct depth. I see the puck on starboard side and it looks like its on a small depression and epoxied or glassed in has anyone tackled taking these things out? Any tips or ideas would be helpful I searched old threads and found a thread were a guy took one out but didn't say what he used or how hard.

My other question is does anyone know which transducer is the correct one? XAP 9 20 or XP -9 20?

Any Baja guys ever remove I would appreciate any ideas or comments.

Last edited by Awash; 08-03-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Wrong model number
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Too familiar. Get ready to install an external transducer. I have yet to have a boat, not only Baja brand, but another. Both Humingbird. By the way, how do you like the 35? What engines do you have? Any pics?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by imartin
Too familiar. Get ready to install an external transducer. I have yet to have a boat, not only Baja brand, but another. Both Humingbird. By the way, how do you like the 35? What engines do you have? Any pics?
It has 496 HO's on it and love the boat. Pics yes but not able to post till I upgrade to gold.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Well I talked to Dave at XT and he was able to help some the location of the transducer is in a recess and the only place you can shoot through the hull without hitting the core. I do not want to install an external transducer any one ever try to get one of these out any tips appreciated.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I had one like this on my 2000 272 and it worked fine, I've not tried to remove one before but Im sure its a PITA, it will probably break before the epoxy gives way, the one on my 33 is in the same place, but hasn't worked for a while but its a head unit issue.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 08-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I had one like this on my 2000 272 and it worked fine, I've not tried to remove one before but Im sure its a PITA, it will probably break before the epoxy gives way
Don't mind if I break the transducer (not working anyway) just hoping I can get it out my thoughts are hammer, chisel and dremmel but would be nice to get other input.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a product call "Break a Bond" or "Bond Away" I think that is friendly to gel and fiberglass. I used it once to free exhaust tips from cured 3M 5200 sealant. Might try getting that epoxy loose with a chemical.

What I would do first is get another transducer that works with your head unit. Plug it in and run wire out so you can hang new transducer over the side into the water and see how she reads (when sitting still obviously). If it works, you know its not the head unit.

Some trial and error here, but speaking from experience.

PS, I need to upgrade too so I can post pics of my new boat coming next week!

Ian
Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sometimes have problems with mine as well. It doesn't like to read correctly until I have been on plane for a minute, then it seems to work fine. Not sure if there is some sort of check it does on itself? Also once in a while I need to turn it off and on again for a reset.