Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
What's the issue with the 36's??? >

What's the issue with the 36's???

Notices

What's the issue with the 36's???

Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Default What's the issue with the 36's???

Seems everyone wants to stear clear. Was it the layup? The ride quality? The CG? Speed? What?

I think the 33 and the 36 are both great looking boats. Everyone keeps saying stay away from the 36 or at least everyone says the 33 is the better choice. Why?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think because they are just slow and heavy. I think they just take a lot more power to push to any kind of speed than the 33 and your only gaining 3 foot. I personally like them, but most of them don't have the cabin features that the wife wants so they are off the list for now. I would imagine if you just want a heavy wave crusher and don't care about going fast with out spending #1 money then they would be a good choice.*

*Disclaimer: I have no real world experience with the 36, just my assumptions.

Last edited by T-RAV; 08-26-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have zero time in a 36', but I think Trav nailed it. Both great looking boats.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Seems everyone wants to stear clear. Was it the layup? The ride quality? The CG? Speed? What?

I think the 33 and the 36 are both great looking boats. Everyone keeps saying stay away from the 36 or at least everyone says the 33 is the better choice. Why?
Layup? I am pretty sure on paper they both had the same layup in production.

Ride? Both are 24 degree bottom designs but the 36 was a measured copy of a Force 10 hull that was a direct copy of a Cig. The running surface on the 36 is actually shorter than the 33 bottom. It is more that rockered bottom design like all Cig's and it really shines in head-on seas. (wave crusher for sure)

CG? Not sure if the 36 fiberglass galley and parts used in the cabin were just to heavy, but the "Team Baja" simple cabin layout with Simpson netting for seats had a much better CG. Loose some weight in the forward cabin and really gain some speed. Baja was able to raise the "X" dim on the 33 higher than the 36 that needed the extra leverage to raise the bow.

Speed? The 33 is normally 5-10 mph faster than the 36 with the same HP. The longer running surface also helps the 33 in the turns better than the 36.

Both are great boats depending what you want the boat to be.

XT
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess xt confirmed what I was told. I had talked to "Bajarick" who had both boats. He was keeping one an selling one. I really wanted the 36 but didn't have the extra room to keep a 36'. 33 was stretching my space.

Rick did say the biggest difference was a 36 rode thru the rough, while 33 rode on top easier.

Both are nice and we love our 33! Although, I really wanted Ricks 36 with hp 500s ! I must have remeasured where I keep my boat 5xs!! Lol
Old 08-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

How the hell is the 36 running surface shorter ? They're both straight vee 24 dead rise non notched hulls. I mean, if you park them right next to each other is the 33 longer? Where's the lost length ? Which cig hill was the 36 copied from? Mistress 35'?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Never been in a 33,,,,, but I LOVED my 36,,,,, it went through anything ,,,,,slow at 73 MPH but a rock solid boat.

I have been told pre 2000 had bulkhead issues, but I cannot confirm or deny that,,,,, I like the 2000 and later anyway because of the updated interior and higher X dimension
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2003 36OL. Yes the 33 is faster with the same power, but the 33 is also much more responsive to modifications. Trying to make a 36 go fast is near impossible, expensive and frustrating.

I see it mentioned here that the 36 is a wave crusher? I think you guys need to ride in more boats if tyke think that is the case. It's not bad, but not impressive for a 36 ft boat IMO. Keeping nose down and cutting in big water just doesn't work, k planes down.

Top side they are the same boat, the 36 adds some cabin and a little more room in the engine bay. If I had to choose again I would take the 33.

The 35, a liner boat, is a better design IMO. Notched transom, lighter, glass cabin floors with removable carpet. And most have more tasteful paint schemes. If you can afford it, I would look hard at the 35
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experience with the 33 but I have a 36. Its definitely a heavy boat and plows through the water pretty well. It pretty much sticks to the water like glue. Even on a tight banked turn. Im running 525sc motors and have seen a little over 70 as my top speed. Its a comfortable boat that has a lot of amenities on it for hanging out or spending the night. My understanding is that the 33 is faster and lighter and therefore better for performance.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thisistank
How the hell is the 36 running surface shorter ? They're both straight vee 24 dead rise non notched hulls. I mean, if you park them right next to each other is the 33 longer? Where's the lost length ? Which cig hill was the 36 copied from? Mistress 35'?
It was based off a Cig 35' (Cafe). I have a Force 10 boat. The bottom hull was extended a foot and strakes were extended as well from the Cig. Good running boat! At least mine is...

From the factory, a 36' Force 10 weighed 8500 lbs dry. Came with 600s and SSM3s and would run 80 out of the box in salwater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.