How much fuel ? >

How much fuel ?

Notices

How much fuel ?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much fuel ?

I believe my 275 has a 90 gallon fuel tank. How much fuel do you all usually fill up to on a typical summer day? I am not really concerned with the cost (well a little) but more with the additional weight that 90 gallons adds up to. A gallon of gas is around 6lbs so at 90 gallon capacity it is 540lbs. At half a tank 45 gallons is 270lbs.

The reason for the concern is for top speed during the day. The 540lbs would be like having an extra two large adults on board.

Question: Would half a tank 45 gallons make it through a day? I understand if you are wide open throttle all day things will change.

How much fuel do all you 25 Outlaws and 275 Performance owners fill to?

I have a 496 MAG non-HO
Old 01-11-2015, 11:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you trailer every night?

How much running do you do vs rafting up in the party cove?

How long does the boat sit between running's? (ie from 2 - 3 weeks)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Do you trailer every night?

How much running do you do vs rafting up in the party cove?

How long does the boat sit between running's? (ie from 2 - 3 weeks)
Don't raft much but float freely. Mostly stay at cruising speed say 3,000 3.500 rpm with a short (5min Full throttle) burst at various times (not frequent).

Usually on the lake from 1:00pm to sundown 7hrs.

Last edited by TEXASRPM; 01-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

If you trailer every night, half tank should be fine for one day.

Since the lake is so low, I wet slip mine from Friday night to Monday morning, hence I top off at 100 gals. If I get a little low, I'll bite the bullet and add about 20 gals on the lake.

I use to run just half, when I trailered every night, then go add a little each night.

I know mine is a heavy ass boat, and drinks the fuel, you should fine. Baja vs Formula, just don't how close we are in burn rates.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Registered

Top off your tank, go out for a few hours that represent a "normal" day, then top off your tank again to measure fuel burn. Yes, I understand performance will be a bit different with a full tank vs. half a tank, but IMO you will get a much more accurate measure of your specific fuel consumption than any other method. You also get somewhat of an indication of your gas gauge accuracy. With that info, you can figure out if half a tank will work for you, and the info will be conservative due to less fuel weight.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi540
Top off your tank, go out for a few hours that represent a "normal" day, then top off your tank again to measure fuel burn. Yes, I understand performance will be a bit different with a full tank vs. half a tank, but IMO you will get a much more accurate measure of your specific fuel consumption than any other method. You also get somewhat of an indication of your gas gauge accuracy. With that info, you can figure out if half a tank will work for you, and the info will be conservative due to less fuel weight.
This is what I did with my 25ol and now my 33ol. the 33 holds 186 gal, so unless we are doing a poker run, I usualy keep her at around 1/2 or just a little over.

Part of this is knowing how your gauge works or not. I would say what ever you normaly use, double it and keep it there. 1/4 for saftey and the other 1/4 so your not running her close to empty if you did have an emergency. Better to have fuel extra fuel than not and need it!!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi540
I'd add two more things to this test- record your wfo speed at full and half tanks. Then you can decide if the 2 mph difference warrants the consideration on pleasure runs. Really sucks being out on a nice day and having to worry about the the relationship of the fun meter to your gas gauge.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Remember- First half on gauge takes a while to burn- 2nd half burns up Quick! V shape of tank. Always better to have too much
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

62.5 gallons o wait that is the size of my tank. So fill-r-up!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can "pleasure cruise" the 502 all day around Texoma on half tank+. My boat really feels like a pig with +/- 100 gallons of fuel on board. Of coarse if you pin the sticks she gets thirsty quick.

Last Summer I ran (3200 @ 40-5+) from Orange Beach Al. to Destin Florida and back on 3/4 tank. I that's +/- 200 mile trip.She got close to 2.5 MPG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.