Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Buyer Beware (I screwed up) >

Buyer Beware (I screwed up)

Notices

Buyer Beware (I screwed up)

Old 04-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldn't get worried about a buzzer yet. Lot of people disconnect them.

Give us more details on the boat and engines

Fact is something always cost unexpected money when buying a used boat, if you have 6 hours already your ahead of the game!

Thanks for the heads up though might help someone out
Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the single 5.0 with the Alpha out drive. There are a tremendous ammount of info out there on buzzers going off for a myriad of reasons. The optimist in me hopes the wires were cut simply due to low outdrive, trim, or oil levels. Easier to cut wires than research cause of alarm? Boat came with nice owners manual as well as engine installation book. Nothing whatsoever in any of that material about the buzzer. Had to Google buzzers and cause of alarm. Previous owner had impeller replaced and info out there a worn impeller reduces cooling this setting off buzzer. As pointed out I did go 4-6 hours without trouble or anything noticeable on the gauges. But the pessimist in me wonders if the disconnected buzzer hides something more serious. The biggest reason for my post is even though you have been around boats for 30+ years and owned many, one can still overlook something obvious. I'm hoping someone else can learn from my mistake. Thanks for the replys!!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Unless its the low oil pressure sending unit sending a message that is saying ( we have a problem ) go a head and cut the wires

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 04-17-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Buzzers ??

Don't need no stinking buzzers!

3pointstar

in all seriousness -- I appreciate your heads up honesty- this really in my opinion was a good post - be on guard !! buyer beware. I know before we purchased our boat I was out on OSO a lot reading about everything I could look for -- it really helped.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have a carb engine no big deal at all. Do you know that the boat manufacturers a lot of them do not even install the buzzer and its up to the dealer to install them. I can not tell you how many never got installed thru the dealer level (many thru out the years)

Also can not tell you how many out on the waters in my area that have a huge dirt dauber nest that has completely plugged the buzzer up for years as the boat owner is clueless about it. This goes for EFI and carb engines. I see it a lot especially after these boats have sat for months on end.

There is a reason these boats comes with a full gauge package and for a carb marine engine no big deal about the buzzer. Watch your gauges as they are installed for a reason. Mercruiser has the drive lube reservoir & sensor that can throw an alarm off, if the bottle is even a quarter way full the alarm still will not go off.

MPI engines, I would want the buzzer working because it can set off more than the 3 or 4 common alarms that carb engines are set up to do.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Im guessing the lube level sensor in the reservoir, for the drive, is/bad making the buzzer buzz.... Why would I say that?...... Same thing happen to us on the water. After figuring out why the fook the buzzer was going off, I unplugged it and enjoyed the rest of the day in the water.

Just replaced the reservoir and all was good. Maybe the previous owner (in your case) was a real cheap ass, and instead for replacing it he jsut left the buzzer hunooked.

It's weird tho. Didn't you notice when you first turn on the key, that you didint hear 2 "beeps"? That would have made me ask WTF, when not hearing them With 150 hours... Id have the engine computer scanned. Maybe he also "unhooked" the hour meter for a wile.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 PM
BUP
Banned

You just needed to unhook the wires at the drive lube reservoir so that you could still have the rest of your warning horn functions plus that's how to figure out if that is the problem source of the warning horn going off.

Did this poster ever say his engine was MPI or Carb app ? I missed it if he did.

the Merc gear lube reservoirs are made in Korea for the past X amount of years and can be a problem child with leaks as well plus the sensor itself failing (setting the warning horn off) pretty common these days.

On the brand new reservoirs before installing - I started to put gasket sealer where the wires are coming thru the bottom to help prevent leaks in that area. They leak right there. (the newer apps) and a common issue for the past 4 years.

Last edited by BUP; 04-20-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if this is a carbed motor this really is a minor thing. I know of many people that disconnect them just because they find them annoying and they keep their eyes on their gauges. I personally have never owned a boat that had one hooked up and I don’t think many of the people that I boat with have theirs hooked up either. all it does is tell you if you lose oil psi, are running hot or are low on drive fluid, if the boat operates as it should you more than likely have no issues at all. just keep your eyes on your gauges as you should anyways, the buzzer is more of a dumbass alarm for those who don’t know how to read the gauges. take it from a guy that bought a boat with rotted stringers and transom, I would have loved to have an issue this minor.

Last edited by regalman4925; 04-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
BUP
Banned

The alarm / buzzer are well worth having if you own a current ECM / PCM engine since 2001. They also have different formations of the alarm to help you diagnose faults in the system or the reason they are going off. For these systems they are way way more than a dumb ass alarm.

Here is a good example of just ONE - exhaust temp - (NOT ENGINE OVERHEAT) the sender is in the riser and reports a high heat condition in the exhaust manifold / riser. They are installed both sides of the risers. They set of an alarm / buzzer and can reduce power (depending on severity) to help prevent engine damage. I would want the alarm if I was experiencing this condition plus the many more.. example # 2 and a good alarm to have OVERSPEED condition meaning you are over reving the engine.

Carb engines a different story and older MEFI 1 and 2 systems not so much worried about a buzzer. Do you know that a current marine engine for the past 5 years can set over 400 faults of course not all buzzer related , I think I want my alarm working.

Last edited by BUP; 04-21-2015 at 11:42 AM.