Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Coming back to Baja after 10 years - any tips? >

Coming back to Baja after 10 years - any tips?

Notices

Coming back to Baja after 10 years - any tips?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming back to Baja after 10 years - any tips?

I've been out of the boating game for almost 10 years now. Since I sold the ole 2000 H2X I've accumulated a wife and three kids. After far too many years of fiscal responsibility I think it's time to get back into boating and waste some money again. I'm hoping to make a purchase in the next month since we only have 6 good weeks of boating in Michigan!

I think I've settled on a Baja 33OL, used of course. I really, really wanted a Sunsation and spent almost a month trying to convince myself I could make it work. But at the end of the day the cabin is the deal breaker for me with a Sunsation 32. I'm more interested in functionality than top speed. And I have 3 little ones that will need room to grow. The lack of an enclosed head and the smaller benches in the cabin of the Sunny are far from ideal for what I'm trying to do. I can see one or two overnights per year with a 33 OL. I can see 0 with a Sunsation.

So it looks like I'm going to need to drive several hundred miles (maybe even 1,000) to get the boat I want. If possible I will arrange a survey but if that's not possible I wonder if you guys have some tips for a DIY inspection that might be "good enough"? I know surveys are preferred....I'm just trying to create a backup plan here. Juggling a bank, a seller and hundreds of miles of road can be a bit challenging.

I'm looking at 2001-2004 33 Outlaws. There are a handful to choose from. Trying to hit mid/upper $50k's. Power package isn't the most important but the 2 or 3 I'm currently look at all seem to have 496 HO's.

In this year range should I be deeply concerned about anything? Moisture in transom, known motor/drive issues, trouble areas structurally? Any not-so-obvious things I could look for?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, first, welcome back! Once a Baja brother, always a Baja brother! Honestly, I'm not a great resource relative to issues, what to look for, etc. Yes, survey is a must. HO's are a must. Being in MI, you might want to look at Mark's inventory in Chicago over at Grand Sport Center. Rock star guy, very knowledgeable (was a huge Baja dealer for many years, my 35 was his boat before 1st owner bought, im 2nd (and last) owner, Ha!. Anyway, he could help you I bet. Good Luck!
Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Good choice, but I am bias!! lol You should be looking for 2002 b/c they raised the X and you should gain another 5mph with same power!! I had the same requirments involving the kids. 2 engines for safety, getting back!! Head, and plenty space to walk around in cockpit as we normally have another family wiht us.

I have 2 54qt chests with cushions that wrap around the back to form a U bench set up. Have fit 9 (4 adults, 2 teens and 3 btw 6-9 yr old) all able to sit!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome, fellas. Good to be here.

That cooler idea is outstanding, nailit. I'll have to keep that in mind. I see Igloo sells exactly what you're describing on Amazon. Very cool.

As for the 2002+ that's a good piece of advice. At the moment I'm having a tough time with how wildly these things vary in price. I've seen same model year differ in price by $20k or more with very similar setups and hours. On Boat Trader I've seen some 2002's listing for similar prices as 2006+. Very strange. It's all about options and conditions I suppose. Unfortunately, NADA on these boats does not increase by $10k when the owners invest $10k in new amps, head units and JL speakers. I'm seeing a lot of that and wonder if that's the primary cause of the unusual price points. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a great stereo setup, but I'd rather get a better price on the boat at this point.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If you want the better performing OL then go for the 2002 as Nailit pointed out but it's may be a little tuff finding a 2002 in your price range so patience is going to be key. Beyond that survey, survey and did I mention get a survey..... Do not cheap out on a survey if you post on here where the boat is you will likely get a few references to a good surveyor that can help you out, $500-$750 is cheap compared to a transom, hull or engine repair. It was comforting to know I was driving 8 1/2 hours to pick up a boat that was in good shape.

Here is an example of the surveyor I used accreditation's

National Association of Marine Surveyors – NAMS-CMS#125-949
Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors – SAMS AMS#939
American Boat & Yacht Council – Master Marine Technician
American Boat & Yacht Council – Marine Systems/Composite Boat
Builder/Standards/Electrical/Corrosion/Diesel
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...tlaw-sale.html

Give this one a shake. Great boat, great owner. If I had a 38 Top Gun I'd sell it too. 0 hour 502's can be had with this deal. Good luck and welcome back.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Awash
If you want the better performing OL then go for the 2002 as Nailit pointed out but it's may be a little tuff finding a 2002 in your price range so patience is going to be key. Beyond that survey, survey and did I mention get a survey..... Do not cheap out on a survey if you post on here where the boat is you will likely get a few references to a good surveyor that can help you out, $500-$750 is cheap compared to a transom, hull or engine repair. It was comforting to know I was driving 8 1/2 hours to pick up a boat that was in good shape.

Here is an example of the surveyor I used accreditation's

National Association of Marine Surveyors – NAMS-CMS#125-949
Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors – SAMS AMS#939
American Boat & Yacht Council – Master Marine Technician
American Boat & Yacht Council – Marine Systems/Composite Boat
Builder/Standards/Electrical/Corrosion/Diesel
Thank you for the survey references. Very helpful!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...tlaw-sale.html

Give this one a shake. Great boat, great owner. If I had a 38 Top Gun I'd sell it too. 0 hour 502's can be had with this deal. Good luck and welcome back.
Thanks, Hook. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with a new engine setup but I have posted in that thread. As long as I could be 100% comfortable the engine install would be flawless I suppose it could be a good opportunity. Thanks again for the reference.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stee6043
Thanks, Hook. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with a new engine setup but I have posted in that thread. As long as I could be 100% comfortable the engine install would be flawless I suppose it could be a good opportunity. Thanks again for the reference.
I bought mine with 12 hour 454 mags!! 33Outlawsst is a straight up guy, he is always on here giving good advice to any novice boaters. I would definitly take some 0 hours motors. You can inquire on if rebuilds or long blocks. Mine were long blocks, but its nice to have NEW motors in a boat!
Motors = low hours; hull= survey!; aluminum trailer... that was my hit list!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stee6043
The seller is a stand up guy that many in these circles can and will vouch for. He's done many deals and has lots of knowledge and experience. I agree you can't be careful enough and it's wise to do your due diligence but this isn't a scam deal. There's a good reason the boat currently has no power, check on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.