Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Triple axle or tandem trailer for 30 o/l >

Triple axle or tandem trailer for 30 o/l

Notices

Triple axle or tandem trailer for 30 o/l

Old 06-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 29 outlaw came from the factory on a tandem axle trailer...never once had an issue with it, tows and turns great.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 598 Likes on 275 Posts

Our 29 came w Heritage tandem trailer. Always had problems- 15" wheels -- ordered new Heritage tandem w 16s and E rated tires. Problem solved!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 520 Posts

FWIW:
Maxxis offers 15" trailer tires in Load Range D (8 ply) and Load Range E (10 ply).

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/traile...nflation-chart

They are FANTASTIC tires. I own a few sets for my single axle boats and camper with 14" & 15" wheels.

If upgrading to 16" wheels/tires is not an option for some, 15" wheels with Load Range E Maxxis tires is a really good alternative.
I would not consider 14" tires on anything that long hauls, regardless of how many axles. That small of diameter means very high Rotations Per Mile. That translates to heat, and heat kills tires.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-15-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
FWIW:
Maxxis offers 15" trailer tires in Load Range D (8 ply) and Load Range E (10 ply).

http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/traile...nflation-chart

They are FANTASTIC tires. I own a few sets for my single axle boats and campers with 14 & 15" wheels.

If upgrading to 16" wheels/tires is not an option for some, 15" wheels with Load Range E Maxxis tires is a really good alternative.
I would not consider 14" tires on anything that long hauls, regardless of how many axles. That small of diameter means very high Rotations Per Mile. That translates to heat, and heat kills tires.
I run the Maxxis 225 15's E rated tires on my tandem trailer and couldn't be happier. Going on my third season with them.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Registered

good feedback guys thank a bunch ! the reason I was asking is because I scrubbed off the interior of all 4 tires bad last season but I know when backing and turning etc there is a lot of weight on the tires I just replaced them with D range tires so I will keep an eye on them to see if they start to wear fast then I might have a bent axle or something wrong ! not sure how many season a tire should last ,I trailer everywhere and l;ots of sharp turns to launch my boat in my town here so maybe its normal,thanks again for all the great info
Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Most trailer tires dry out before they wear out. I cover my trailer tires to keep the sun off of them. It makes a big difference. Make sure they were inflated properly. A deflated tire will run warmer which leads to problems.

Also try to avoid dragging the tires side ways when you are backing up. That beats the tires up as well. When I'm done washing the boat I spray the road and my driveway down with water to let the tread slip some as I'm backing up my driveway . I don't get the rubber marks on the pavement that way. I have friends that make sure they keep a little sand on the pavement to help the tires slide. I prefer the water method as it's cleaner.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 520 Posts

^^^everything that he said!

That's one of the reasons much of my driveway is staying gravel. It's more forgiving.

Also, DO NOT park tires on grass! That's terrible for them. If you have a regular place you park your boat which is grass, buy some 2x12s and cut to size.

Average lifespan of a tire is 7 years, weather it sits in a CostCo warehause for 6.5 of them or in your driveway for all 7. Learn to read tire date codes!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

On a side note, any preference towards drum or disk brakes? I assume that disk brakes are the only real way to go. The drums on my tandem have seized up completely useless and will be switching them to disks unless there's a reason not to.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Disc brakes are the way to go. If you are switching, don't forget to buy the reverse lockout solenoid. You won't be able to back up the trailer up any incline without locking up the wheels once you go to disc.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Good point on the solenoid lockout. My actuated is welded on and I was going to just switch the master cylinder, but I'll be sure to sort out a reverse lockout. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.