Outlaw surface drive >

Outlaw surface drive

Notices

Outlaw surface drive

Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Outlaw surface drive

Does anyone have any experience with a surface drive on a single engine outlaw or a similar hull? I have a 25 Outlaw that just may be getting repowered so that would also require a stouter drive. I've read a lot about Pro27's 27 progression with a SCX4 that gave great results but progressions are quite a bit lighter than an outlaw. But I think the hulls are fairly similar, similar pad and a notched transom, but the progression is variable deadrise hull with more lifting strikes. He did say that the #6 prop does carry the bow well which is also required in the outlaws. I've tried to find the info on how the Mercury NXTs controlled the big outlaws with big power but haven't found much info on them. I guess the biggest question I have is would a Imco scx4 running a real surface piercing prob have the leverage to air the hull of an outlaw out. Thanks for the input
Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Rick at Arneson. Not sure how a single engine would work. On a twin engine set up like mine he said around a 10 mph increase over a Bravo style drive.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Usually better to sell and buy another boat unless you really love your boat.

To properly install and setup a scx-4 drive is equal or more expensive than an Arneson asd7 bravo conversion and lots of work to dial in. They are not bolt on and go. If your serious look into the asd7 bavo conversion.

If you want the best bang for the buck get a SCX and spin a bravo 4 blade or Maximus 5 blade.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated
Old 11-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

my buddy installed one on my old outdrive boat that I sold him.,

Shortly after that his wife could not parallel park her car anymore.,

His brother inlaw backed into a family of six with his Mini van while trying to park at the local mall and killed all of them.also

They do not perform in reverse regardless where ther are

Evil Evil things Run Run for you lives

take a long hard look at surface drives before you try them.

YOU WERE WARNED ..................
Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Usually better to sell and buy another boat unless you really love your boat.

To properly install and setup a scx-4 drive is equal or more expensive than an Arneson asd7 bravo conversion and lots of work to dial in. They are not bolt on and go. If your serious look into the asd7 bavo conversion.

If you want the best bang for the buck get a SCX and spin a bravo 4 blade or Maximus 5 blade.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated
From what I've read the smaller outlaws don't really benefit from a -2 shorter drive. Bravo style props too close to the surface that aren't made to break the surface don't provide the bow lift needed from what I've read. As far as dialing it in, if I do undertake this project my plan would be to raise the motor up higher in order to get my propshaft higher and be able to space it down. Of course that's a big IF right now but it doesn't hurt to do some research.

tommymonza, that's funkin terrifying...grown men driving mini vans.....they're the most dangerous ones out there. But in (almost) all seriousness...I wouldn't even try to reverse in a surface drive, just point and shoot like the old jet skis....