Engine alarm sounds, and Engine cuts out for a split second >

Engine alarm sounds, and Engine cuts out for a split second

Notices

Engine alarm sounds, and Engine cuts out for a split second

Old 06-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine alarm sounds, and Engine cuts out for a split second

1998 Baja boss 252 454 mag fuel injected. When cruising at any given rpm the engine alarm will sound, and the engine will cut out for a split second. The boat then returns to running perfectly fine. Oil pressure, water temp and volts gauge are all at normal readings. Engine oil and drive oil reservoir are full. This all started after the boat sat outside in a massive rain storm for about a half hour, and the bilge filled with water.

i've had the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and ignition part replaced, but this did not fix the engine alarm sound and the engine cutting out problem.

anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this intermittent engine alarm to sound? Many thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The alarm should be for Oil pressure, drive oil height, and water temp. I would start by removing the brown lead from each sensor one at a time until it doesn't occur anymore.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Ck your ground. Cutting out is strange.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the impeller/sea water pump last changed?

I had the identical set of circumstances when I first bought our Outlaw with a 1998 fuel injected 454 MAG. It would happen at any RPM range, sometimes when I bumped the drive trim, and it was a true gremlin.

I never saw the temp gauge move, and there was no indication of an overheat, but I haven't had it happen since I replaced the impeller and sea water pump housing. That was 8 or 9 years ago and I've put the impeller and sea water pump on a regular replacement schedule ever since.

If you don't know when the impeller/sea water pump was last changed it is probably a good maintenance item to get a baseline on anyway.

Hope you get it figured out.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your ignition switch. Its cheap enough to replace and sometimes there are issues inside you can't see and it will cause some of the same issues you are describing.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sounds like the ecm could be detecting knock, retards the timing for a sec, put some higher octane fuel in it and see what happens

Also dump the water separator filter and refill with fresh fuel

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 06-22-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update here UB? It's always interesting to see how these situations end up and the knowledge passed along is valuable.

Hoping you've got it licked and are enjoying your summer!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It turned out to be a loose wire connection to the alternator. The ring terminal and alternator stud got hot, and they melted together. Once the alternator was replaced the engine ran perfectly fine, without any more alarm sounds.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for poster the fix.

Ken
Old 08-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraboy
It turned out to be a loose wire connection to the alternator. The ring terminal and alternator stud got hot, and they melted together. Once the alternator was replaced the engine ran perfectly fine, without any more alarm sounds.
Same dumb junk that happened to me a couple of months ago. Boat woldn't restart hot, crank only and never turn on. Wound up being loose grounding terminal on the starter. Glad it was easy but chased for a long time which was frustrating. Being the boat is 21 years old I'll being going through all wiring and connections this winter.