Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
272 stereo upgrade ideas >

272 stereo upgrade ideas

Like Tree0Likes

272 stereo upgrade ideas

Reply

Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
My Boat: Baja 272
Posts: 15
Default 272 stereo upgrade ideas

Upgrading the stereo in my 272 wanting some other opinions/ideas for places to add more speakers to get the sound out of the boat.
BajaIKE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM
  #2
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member
 
obnoxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Lenox , Il
My Boat: 2000 36 OUTLAW SOLD SHOPPING
Posts: 3,949
Default

I removed the porta potty panel and made anouther one out of MDF on my old 97 272,,,,,,, I Mounted a 12" sub in it, and I used the compartment as a sub box. It worked well.

Do you have speakers up front near your ankles already?
__________________
I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road and not have its motives questioned.
obnoxus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 AM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
My Boat: 2005 BAJA 275
Posts: 379
Default

I placed 2 subs 10 inch under the bed in new panel that was fixed with screws.Now add a bit more colour.
Also mount 7 7 JL in standart holes that must be open a bit and will update to 8.8 JL in rear seatbank next time..Michael

Brembofreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Evansville, Indiana
My Boat: 2000 Baja 272
Posts: 229
Default

I have always wanted to add a 6.5 inch behind the bolsters under the side windshields. That would kind of angle them upwards and get the sound up and higher in the cockpit. I have seen it done on another 272.
BIGSLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
My Boat: Baja 272
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW View Post
I have always wanted to add a 6.5 inch behind the bolsters under the side windshields. That would kind of angle them upwards and get the sound up and higher in the cockpit. I have seen it done on another 272.

That's the same idea I've had. Wanting to throw some 8.8s somewhere up high as well. I guess we see it goes to dr.dashboard next week
BajaIKE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
My Boat: Baja 272
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by obnoxus View Post
I removed the porta potty panel and made anouther one out of MDF on my old 97 272,,,,,,, I Mounted a 12" sub in it, and I used the compartment as a sub box. It worked well.

Do you have speakers up front near your ankles already?

No speakers by ankles yet. Didnt know how they would do with getting sound out.
BajaIKE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:07 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Evansville, Indiana
My Boat: 2000 Baja 272
Posts: 229
Default

Originally Posted by BajaIKE View Post
That's the same idea I've had. Wanting to throw some 8.8s somewhere up high as well. I guess we see it goes to dr.dashboard next week
You might run into the issues with the depth of the 8.8's if you try to get them too high. I measures my location under the windshield behind the bolsters and the 6.5's was all that would fit. I have held off doing it because I don't know how much longer I will have this one and it is already loud enough the way it is. I have two 10's in the bench, 4 6.5's in the factory locations, and 2 6x9's in boxes that I can put anywhere. If you're doing JL, make sure you go with the M series and not the MX. My buddy has the same setup as me with MX and is disappointed in his compared to mine.

Also, for a new head unit, I'd go with Fusion. I have had non marine amps in mine now for 5 years in the cabin and never had a problem so there is no reason to put in marine amps if they aren't going to see any weather.
BIGSLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:12 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Indiana
My Boat: Baja 272
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW View Post
You might run into the issues with the depth of the 8.8's if you try to get them too high. I measures my location under the windshield behind the bolsters and the 6.5's was all that would fit. I have held off doing it because I don't know how much longer I will have this one and it is already loud enough the way it is. I have two 10's in the bench, 4 6.5's in the factory locations, and 2 6x9's in boxes that I can put anywhere.

Do you or have you ever had and issues with the subs rattling under the back seat? Just got mine back and the rattling seems ridiculous cant believe dashboard sent it out the door like this.
BajaIKE is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser