1996 Baja 270 Start Replacement >

1996 Baja 270 Start Replacement

Notices

1996 Baja 270 Start Replacement

Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Baja 270 Start Replacement

I need to replace the starter on my 1996 272, looks like I'm going to have to pull the engine to do so. The starter bolts are against the flywheel guard. Can only get an open end wrench on the outer bolt, but can't turn it because of the stringer. Bummer. Any of you experience similar problems on this year model.? I've been looking at the Mercruiser online parts catalog, and if I can reach the smaller bolts at the bottom, I may be able to drop the flywheel cover off and then access the starter bolts that way. What real purpose does the flywheel cover serve anyway, other than keep floating crud out of the flywheel. You've got a real problem if the bilge water level gets that high.

I talked to a friend last night that had a 2000 270 and he said his was fairly easy to get too. Bummer.

Last edited by dead silence; 09-04-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: More information
Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You need a swivel head ratchet,,,, it can be done.!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Google "gear wrench" which are also offered in short length. Just a idea?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Its doable .....PITA but doable ...I did mine last weekend in my 252 , same boat pretty much. When I worked at Baja dealer did a bunch of 272's never had to pull a motor . The worst part is standing on your head for 2 hrs. When I bought mine could tell it had taken on water and sat in a lake without a working bilge pump. Water line in bilge was over the starter. The previous owner wasn't too brite. Starter was iffy all season. I replaced the slave on top of the motor first also just to make sure. On starter wires I cleaned all connections with sandpaper. Then sprayed with battery corrosion preventive. Hopefully no more "click" issues.

Last edited by CT River Baja; 09-24-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CT River Baja
Its doable .....PITA but doable ...I did mine last weekend in my 252 , same boat pretty much. When I worked at Baja dealer did a bunch of 272's never had to pull a motor . The worst part is standing on your head for 2 hrs. When I bought mine could tell it had taken on water and sat in a lake without a working bilge pump. Water line in bilge was over the starter. The previous owner wasn't too brite. Starter was iffy all season. I replaced the slave on top of the motor first also just to make sure. On starter wires I cleaned all connections with sandpaper. Then sprayed with battery corrosion preventive. Hopefully no more "click" issues.
Thanks for the reply CT River. My problem with removing the starter is the flywheel guard plate is touching the head of the starter bolt. Did you have to remove the flywheel shield to replace the starters when you worked at the BAJA dealer?
Old 01-31-2020, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I will be "modifying" my cover before I put my motor back in.