Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
272 engine hatch lift replacement. >

272 engine hatch lift replacement.

Notices

272 engine hatch lift replacement.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 272 engine hatch lift replacement.

I’ve been finding used hatch lifts and rotating them in as they fail, but I’ve used the last one. All of the replacement options I’ve found have the lift motor hanging straight back where on the 272 will hit the engine. The OEM is rotated 90° and that seems to be necessary.

Has anyone actually found a suitable replacement?

12” stroke.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting post as I am missing mine and don't have a point of reference to even start looking. What year is your boat, how long open and closed are you looking for? I gather the issue is lower or motor mount needs to lay the drive motor as flat against the seat. If you have any information im all ears .
check out https://www.firgelliauto.com/blogs/n...zed-boat-hatch
Old 02-11-2021, 05:53 PM
Registered

The Firgelli certainly has a nice price point. Possibly not marine rated for sparks in the bilge?

This is a nice unit from Hardin but the eyelet can’t rotate the needed 90°. It probably wouldn’t be hard to machine some sort of knuckle to connect the ram flat against the seat but I was hoping someone would’ve solved that problem for me by now. ;p
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1311...-actuator.aspx
Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 PM
Registered

After looking around it looks like the go to unit is the Hardon Marine unit with 12" of stroke 19-7/8" closed length , 400 pounds lifting for $419.99 the description says that it replaces the Livorsi SS12.

If you scroll down you will find a couple of youtube videos - one from Thompson Industries ( I assume that they are the manufacture ) their "marine" rated actuators are rated at IP66. The same rating as some of the Firgelli units . IP66 denotes that the unit the unit is dust tight for between 2-6 hours ( 1st 6) waters from heavy seas or waters projected by heavy jets shall not enter the unit in harmful quantities (2nd 6)

The closest unit I can order is the FA-400-12-18-P 18" stroke 22.36" closed and IP66 for $150
However the spec sheet shows an 12" stroke unit that is 16.45" closed but I don't see a way to order it. Its about 3.25" short , just enough to make a bracket to turn the mounting hole 90deg.

So I'm going to call them tomorrow, can you take a picture of the mounting points and some quick measurements so I can compare them to mine, if it looks good Ill buy it and post my findings. It want be for a bit I'm still working on the motor
Old 02-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Registered

I’m currently about 4 hours away from my boat so I can’t help much. I VAGUELY remember an OAL at about ~18” eye to eye.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:54 PM
Registered

I don't think I can be of much help but Ill share with everyone my internal thought process:

Baja isn't in the business of making actuators so they buy them from someone ...... I bet there are only a hand full of manufactures in the world that make them and its probably not proprietary information so the piece I need should be relatively inexpensive ( less than $100 for an order of 1) I started looking at the major performance boat sites and found they all filter to a couple of manufactures. It looks to me they dont make them in house either so that means to me they are buying in bulk, maybe adding a sticker , raising the price and reselling them . There is no crime in that but I hate to pay retail and I hate paying a boat tax . I have a list of requirements that an actuator has to meet , size both open and close , ability to mount , capacity to lift , live in a boat environment and not blow up. The size and capacity is easy to find the big question I need to answer is will it live in a boat and will it blow up. Looking at the description on line most say " IP66 "this just means that the actuator is sealed for water and dust.

first 6 is dust tight - No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust-tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on airflow.
second 6 is that is is water tight from powerful water jets - Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm (0.49 in)) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects. Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 3 minutes
Water volume: 100 liters per minute (0.37 impgal/s) Pressure: 100 kPa (15 psi) at distance of 3 meters (9.8 ft)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

some sites say coast guard approved but have no documentation to back up the claim . I reached out to several of the resellers and they all say " we put them in boats all the time" but could not help with providing proof of Coast Guard certification either. So take it for what's its worth . I've made my choice
Old 02-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Check this site. I think Baja used a ucculift, my boats at the marina so can’t confirm

Home - QM Group
Old 02-13-2021, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kefurr
Check this site. I think Baja used a ucculift, my boats at the marina so can’t confirm

Home - QM Group
The OEM unit is an Acculift years ago I tried contacting them many different ways, but it looks like they may be back in action. Thanks for the update!
The following users liked this post:
Kefurr (02-14-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:25 PM
Registered

Here’s some info for anyone looking as I know it’s a common issue.

~18-3/8” eye to eye.

~18-3/8” eye to eye

Acculift

carnutsx2 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Check with https://xt-innovations.com/ in Ohio, several of them worked @ Baja back in the day they might have an answer for you
carnutsx2 (03-17-2021)