Help!  Serious 350 Tech Support Needed >

Help! Serious 350 Tech Support Needed

Notices

Help! Serious 350 Tech Support Needed

Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Serious 350 Tech Support Needed

Ok, heres the deal. I purchased an older BAJA (with a 350 Mag) in late October, with no chance of putting it in the water. It had water in the oil. I changed the oil, and when the water and the oil seperated in the bucket, there was as much water as oil. I changed the oil, ran it on the garden hose then changed it again. It runs smooth, doesnt miss a beat.

My question is, could it have possibly ingested some water? It has thru hull exhaust, with NO internal flappers, and NO external flappers. Has anyone heard of this? That is alot of water in the oil for the boat to run that good.

Or, am I looking at some headgasket problems?

Last edited by TEAMBAJA; 01-23-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Team,

I would definately fix the exhaust issue with no flappers. You are asking for trouble.

Fix that first and then run the boat a while asee if you have any water.

All the problems you have listed could be a cause. Hopefully you don't have any internal engine issues to deal with.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a boat one time that sat in the water 24/7. It rained, my battery for the bilge was drained, and It filled with water. I jumped in and there was probably 2 inches standing in the floor. I got the water pumped out and checked the oil...water logged. Drained the oil, put fresh oil in, fired it up ran it till it got hot, changed it again, never had another problem.

Not to say thats your problem, but it happened to me.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Registered

I've seen some strange things done by folks wanting to buy a boat and buy it cheap, such as putting water in the engine so it appears to have a cracked block. It is kind of a stretch, but I am just saying it is possible.

I've had several boats with cracked blocks, and my experience has been that if you change the oil (at least twice) and there is no water in the oil you are probably OK, but I'd sure keep a close eye on it. If it is cracked, there will usually be some water somewhere that it shouldn't be.

I even had a little runabout once with a v-6 merc that kept showing a little water in the oil, and we just couldn't seem to find anything wrong until we pulled the intake, and there was a small crack in the bottom side of the intake that was allowing water into the block.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered

I wasnt really thinking the first time I changed the oil, and I pumped it out. I had intentions of pulling the plug on the bottom but didnt, so I filled it back up, ran it a few minutes, then changed it again, this time pulling the plug and letting it drain overnight. Of course using cheap Walmart oil for these oil changes.

I think your right about the flappers Dock. Its either that, or not allow fat chicks on the back of the boat. I think I'll go with the flappers, because those big girls need lovin too!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:13 PM
davesoutlaw

You might want to check the spark plugs see if the electrodes have water on them. I had a 84 force 220 that I bought used and the previous owner did not winterize right and cracked the left exhaust manifold. Also check inside the valve covers after you run the engine, just pull off the filler cap and see if you see any milky oil up top

Old 01-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have helped some people in my marina pull their engines before because they did not winterize correctly. In Ohio this seems to be fairly common.

Most newbies don't know to pull the thermostat before running or make sure the engine is hot so the thermostat is open.

Not to scare you or anything but all three engines ran smooth. All three had very cracked blocks!!!

Easy way to tell. First check the freeze plugs do they look new?

Run your boat on a garden hose for no more than 1/2 hour checking oil every 5 minutes. Make sure the boat is on a level similar to normal in the water. Does the oil rise?

If the oil rises then you have a cracked block or head leakage.

If the oil does not rise then the water is elsewhere (reversion or exhaust manifold leakage).

Good luck, if you need more help e-me.

Last edited by bajalion; 01-24-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:56 AM
DJG
Registered

I have had 2 late model small blocks in trucks wich had cracked blocks. they were cracked right above the lifter bores could't see the cracks but could see a rust mark. Not sure if a leaking exhaust will fill a motor. I had a bad exhaust log on my boat it just filled the cylinders nothing went down into the engine. Hopefully your problem is an easy fix good luck.