Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Cutting bulkhead fiberglass...bad idea? >

Cutting bulkhead fiberglass...bad idea?

Notices

Cutting bulkhead fiberglass...bad idea?

Old 02-15-2003, 02:01 PM
NotTOOBAD

Question Cutting bulkhead fiberglass...bad idea?

Any of you guys have experience cutting into the bulkhead in your boats? I remember some Outlaw owners were putting LCD monitors there last year.

I'm thinking of cutting a 16x24 opening in the port side bulkhead for a recessed panel as part of a stereo install in my 272. That's a decent sized hole for the size of the bulkhead. Any concern of affecting the structural rigidity of the boat?

Eric

Old 02-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If I am thinking abou the same panle you are It is not a bulkhead it is just a filler panel,,,,on the port side in the cabin above the cup holder,,, there is a carpeted pane that has a screw midway up on the left side to remove,, also the trim strip on th etop will have to be removed.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing though,, this is where I mounted my cd changer on our 272 and I dont remember it being that big.

can you post pics of the area you are talking about?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya on this one I do not venture into the different boat sections often. 16X24 is a LARGE opening to put in there. I would suggest a surface mount. If you want it to be flush or have that flush look make a light weight trim that will give it that flush look with out you having to cut the strength out of it. Hope that helps ya out some.

Jon
Old 02-15-2003, 09:02 PM
NotTOOBAD

I think we're thinking of the same panel. I haven't had a chance to get the boat out yet to look under the carpet, so I figured it was bulkhead....would be awesome if it was filler!

The panel I mean is above the cup holder and the port couch. If you were to pull it out, you'd be in the dead space behind the glove box and radio. I have a cd player mounted there now too that I will have to relocate. My guess is the panel is probably not much more than 2 1/2 ft wide or high, that is why I was thinking of mounting the amps there.

I'll try to run over and pull it out of dry stack tomorrow and see if I can borrow a digital cam for some pics.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut a hole in the same panel on a 2000 model 272 and flush mounted a VHF radio and mounted a remote control for the stereo that could be used in the cuddy.

This panel does not appear to be a structure panel and is only about 3/16 inch thick. I marked a hole for each corner of the hole to be cut and used a jig saw to connect the dots.

The hole you are wanting to cut is very large. Take out your glove box first and take a good look before cutting.

Good Luck