You have got to be kidding.....!?#%@

Notices

You have got to be kidding.....!?#%@

Old 06-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have got to be kidding.....!?#%@

I can't believe this. Today was absolutely perfect 80's not a cloud in the sky, light breeze. Ofcourse I have to work until 5:00pm. Fly home, get the wife motivated, hook the boat for a dinner cruise, Fuel the boat up, unload the boat, wait for the wife who's bringing up the rear (with a 2 and a 3 year old). O.K while I have a minute I'll do a quick fluid check. Everything looks Great. WOW! the wife pulls up and gets the kids onboard. The kids head down to the "fort" a.k.a. V-berth. It's about 6:15 and it's still 70-75. I'm thinkin' were a little late getting on the water but what the hell. We head out and start cruising, really just putting around (25-30mph). We were headed for a restaurant on the water. They serve one of the best Rib-eyes I've had. My mouth was really watering. The kids were under control, The beer was cold. The wife was happy. The sun was smiling. BAAAMMMMM, ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping. What the $#%&(!!! Oh man sounds like a rod. Son of a B!tch. Take a closer look and listen. Good oil pressure. Dipstick looks good. Prop still able to turn. Water temp good. All belts intact. I can't figure what the hell happened. Turn the boat around (no power steering, shut down one engine) head for home. When we got back I figured I would check the drive for any thumps or cluncks. Sure enough, I can feel the vibration from the upper drive. THANK GOD IT"S ONLY A COUPLER!! My boat has 50 hrs and I blow a coupler ( I think) . What kind of chit is that. I thought those bravo's were the cats a$$. I've only got 496's (375). I thought they were supposed to handle something like 500h.p and 650 foot lbs. of torque. I wasd cruising 25 and mine gives out. The morale of the story.....When you think your going to eat Rib-eye sometimes its better to eat peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk. Drink one for me!
Old 06-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, sorry to hear that dude.

Hope it is minor and repaired under warranty.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a problem with my outdrive a couple weeks ago, and it sounding just like you were explaining. Hopefully yours will not be what mine was. My complete upper unit was trashed, I had to install a complete unit to fix my problem. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is the coupler, you drive alignment is probably off. See if you motor mounts are loose also. Pull the drive and try and get an alignment tool in there.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Allan4

Sounds elementary, but be sure to lube the coupler with coupler grease.....

Old 06-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry to hear the bad luck
Old 06-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Sounds like a drive or U joint, not a coupler. I have never heard of a coupler making a lot of noise. It just spins and smells like burning rubber.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

RESULTS ARE IN: The entire upperdrive is JUNK! Gears, teeth from gears, Metal every where. Some people think it dumb buying new boats but let me tell you I'm glad it's under warranty! Boat will be ready for the 4th.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:13 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! thats got to be a world record for dumping a new drive!!good luck!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm with dyno, that's pretty quick to disintegrate a drive especially with stock power.

Good luck to you. Hopefully, your fully covered and work os on time.

Quick Reply: You have got to be kidding.....!?#%@

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.