Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Gasparilla >

Gasparilla

Notices

Gasparilla

Old 01-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Takin Off 1

Post Gasparilla

Hey Florida Boaters!! Who's going to the Gasparilla Pirate Invasion by boat on Feb. 2nd. in Tampa.

Old 01-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Never miss it!
It's always a blast! Been looking forward to it since last year.

The only thing that really worried me last year was when the thousands of boats were crammed into that little inlet all anchored and rafted up when that big ass 200'+ mini-cruise ship came through and made one hell of a commotion. It literally sucked boats from all around and they were crashing into the sides of the ship than being thrust backwards. There was quite the exchange of words.

In any event, I already have thousands of beads ready to be disposed of...or rather,,,well you know
Old 01-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Takin Off 1

I remember that incident well. We were right in the middle of it. If it wasn't for those big boats anchored up at the bridge there would have been boats smashed into the sea walls with the current pushing everyone.

Did you see that guy in the 40' Sea Ray that decided to go home early, only thing was he was in the middle of the pack. Cranked her up and started bouncing boats around. WOW. Several bottles bounced off the side of that idiots boat.

Also heard both drives were ripped clean off a new Sonic by that big cruise ship when the captain decided to pivit and do a 180. Coast Guard barely drug the Sonic to the ramp b-fore it sank.

All that and we wouldn't miss Gasparilla for anything. The key is to get to the outside by the hospital helo pads and hold your ground. What a party!!

Old 01-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
You guys going to enlighten us left coasters??

And speaking of this, since you guys are from florida. Do either of you know what the inlet is when you are leaving miami heading towards key largo? I was there last april for a poker run and on the way back saw everyone partying in this cove off to the right, if you are heading towards miami. It's right before all the houses on stilts. We tried to head over in that direction but it was getting shallow and my buddy didnt want to beach his ts gun! Do you guys know the place?
Old 01-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Takin Off 1,
Yep, that's the one. It's quite the sight. You're absolutely right. You need to get there really early. The helo pad area is a good place to hang. I like to get to the left side of the bridge adjacent to that spot. It's just the right depth and there's a ton of seawall to get close to. That way you can get to land if you run out of supplies. There's a publix not far from there. The only thing that sucks is that you can't get out until the end, should something go wrong or need urgency.

Anyway, We're gearing up for it. I may or may not bring the boat this year exactly for those reasons. I don't want a repeat of that incident or worse.

Tank,
Sorry I don't know the area you are referring to. I'm not too familiar with Miami.

Gasparilla, is an awesome, month-long celebration that the area holds every year around February. It consists of two parts. The first is a boat "Pirate invasion." There are many cool looking very old as well as replica spanish war gallions that host a mock-invasion. There are literally thousands of boats which gather to celebrate and take part in the festivities. There is plenty of food, drinking and bead-throwing as well as a huge parade. The second part takes place at night in a downtown district ot Tampa called Ybor City(pronounced eebor) It is also a long festive parade down a great little historic street filled with bars and happening places. This VERY closely resembles Mardi Gras. The chicks get wild and naked. Beads galore and a general crazy party. It's a blast! This whole event taked place to remember and honor A guy by the name of Gaspar. He was Commander of a spanish fleet which first settled the Tampa/St. Pete area centurties ago.

This is the official page: http://gasparillapiratefest.com/home.htm

But if you search for it, you will find many more interesting pages with "more graphic" photography. There's quite a few scenes in "Girls Gone Wild" filmed at gasparilla.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Baja Daze ]
Old 01-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts
Hey Nick, thanks for the info. I can't believe I've never heard of it. I do think I'll need to find my way out there someday!

Tank
Old 01-08-2002, 04:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nick -

probably a smart move not to take the Outlaw... too many horror stories from the past two years - one guy was telling me that he had just purchased a new Donzi 30 something ZF (fish) and took it to Gaspirilla - came home with several scratches and gelcoat gouges from other boaters who either: (i) didn;t know what the heck they were doing; or (ii) were too drunk to care. I remember the "mini-cruise" ship incident well - lots of pissed off people that day....

If you do go by water - get a slip down at the municipal marina - a friend of mine can reserve a slip for 50 cents per foot for the day.... We're taking his 30' SeaRay (defintely not a go-fast, but a real party sled) and we have reserved 10 seats along Bayshore in the bleachers - great place to party! Let me know if you want info on the slip or the seats - I believe that the seats cost $18 per person.....

For anyone who has not experienced Gasparilla - check the fares on Southwest and come check it out - a true party.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How ya doing, Dirt?
I know what you mean. It's a tough one. I really don't think I'll be going by boat. Too much to risk. That marina idea also sounds pretty damn good. $12.50 for the day isn't bad at all. I may have to consider it. Beats traffic.