Notices

Outboards anyone?

Old 03-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Re: Outboards anyone?

Originally Posted by JBmarine
The above begs the question:
(1) Who would be doing the rigging at the factory?
(2) Who is setting the definition of quality?
(3) How is quality defined?
(4) Will the rigging be reflected in the boat's warranty?

Just curiousity questions that I would have relating to "factory rigging"?
When we built these boats last time, everyboat was rigged to "Race Spec"...that defines quality to me.

I didn't say we would rig them at the facotry, I said we wanted to control the quality of the rigging....that would mean perhaps a good outside shop that has a reputation.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
AD, are you saying only 46 24s have been built? Just curious how you know this.
And I think a 24 OB is a great idea. And sell them rigged.
If someone has their own ob to throw on, let them ship it to you.
Hi Storm:

Not saying only 46 were built. Have no clue, but I like to use facts instead of guess, so I went to the pantera web site into the photo gallery which shows a lot of the boats they have built since the late 70's. I counted all the 24' models and seperated them by power set up.

--AD
Old 03-06-2006, 07:51 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Dog
Hi Storm:

Not saying only 46 were built. Have no clue, but I like to use facts instead of guess, so I went to the pantera web site into the photo gallery which shows a lot of the boats they have built since the late 70's. I counted all the 24' models and seperated them by power set up.

--AD
Gotya...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:51 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

I think a good standard of rigging is "Grants rigging shop"
Old 03-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we look at the offshore market in general I'd say I/O is much more popular but It would be nice to see a new boat offered other then a fish boat with OBs on it.

If you ask that OB quality control question on Scream and Fly you will get flamed off the site.

You could offer them rigged with a bracket of thier choosing.
It might be safe to say that most idiots could take it from there.
I'm sure I could be surprised.

You could offer it both ays and let your orders decide how many to build

Evan
Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many different OB rigging set ups (types) are there really? 4? Merc, E-rude/johnson, honda, or yamaha? Would this be a safe list? And I think that yam and honda are interchangeable? So that would be three. Short of selling with the actual OB, what about selling them rigged to the point of "Plug and Play"? Just mount the motor, plug it in and off they go. That way you could control the quality of the rigging, and not have to limit a prospective buyer to one type of OB vs. another. Don't know if its possible, but figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitta55
How many different OB rigging set ups (types) are there really? 4? Merc, E-rude/johnson, honda, or yamaha? Would this be a safe list? And I think that yam and honda are interchangeable? So that would be three. Short of selling with the actual OB, what about selling them rigged to the point of "Plug and Play"? Just mount the motor, plug it in and off they go. That way you could control the quality of the rigging, and not have to limit a prospective buyer to one type of OB vs. another. Don't know if its possible, but figured I'd throw it out there.
In case it wasn't realized, there are a lot of combinations within the four you list....especially with Mercury and Yamaha. Also keep in mind, unless it is a left over you cannot even buy a new "carbureted" or "EFI" outboard anymore...in larger HP ratings.

On the Mercury side you have choices (depending on the model) between;

Shift-- DTS or mechanical

Gauges--Smartcraft (digital), SmartCraft with System Link Gauges, or (old style) analog gauges.....or any combination of the three (that is not to mention adding mechanical gauges).

Basically there would be a great numbers of combinations that someone can come up with depending on what they want and how they want to get to that point.

On the Yamaha side you also have choices between;

Gauges-- Command Link (CAN Bus system), standard Yamaha Multifunction Gauges (Digital), and/or analog gauges.....or a combination of the above.

Long story short, the rigging options can be expansive or simple.....most "production" boats make it simple by limiting a buyers options. To the point a lot of buyers don't realize just how many options there are out there.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

What is the benefit to the manufacturer to selling the boat unrigged, and what is the benefit of the buyer to buying it that way?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
What is the benefit to the manufacturer to selling the boat unrigged, and what is the benefit of the buyer to buying it that way?
I am not trying to step on toes...but IMO:

Without a large dealer network how is a manufacturer going to warranty the rigging (short of possibly carted a boat across the country). A lot of problems with today's boats and motors arise from rigging (batt, cable specs, etc.). I understand a manufacturer wanting to control set-up....so the manufacturer should mount the fuel tank, cut the drive hole or mount the OB bracket, even mount the trim tabs. I understand a manufacturer wanting to control the look of a new boat....so build the interior and seats, and install them.

IMO....benefit to a buyer is the possibility of getting a new boat "EXACTLY" the way they want it. I would expect this of a "semi-custom" manufacturer.

If you can't get this from a new boat then a buyer may as well save the depreciation and buy a late-model used boat and adjust that exactly to his/her liking.

JB
Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

I would expect the new "Banana Boat Co." to be building to the customers tastes, exactly the way they(the customer) wants it.
The quality control I would want from Banana? Would be the boat doesn't leave until Charlie thinks its good enough for himself. That would be good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Outboards anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.