Notices

Latest news

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Cool .... Thanks !

How about twin Yamaha 300 ? Hmmmmmmmmmm !
I think that they're too heavy.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tangent70
I think that they're too heavy.
Close....we found that with this boat you really don't need a lot to make it go fast and be a great boat.

For instance, when we built sterndrives we used both small blocks and big blocks and found the weight really restricted the performance so the two were almost even in speed.

The single 250 outboard will now run at 67 MPH....under Powerboat test conditions... 5 gallons of gas, 1 person, best size waves etc, etc. A single 300 or 350 would make a nice performance...with no hassle package.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sp123
Charlie you are only in VA? thought the boat went faster than that?
We are going as fast as we can, but everytime we stop, people come from everywhere and want to know all about the boat and the owner......we have all the details about the boat,...... but...... told them we promised that we would keep it a secret that Tom Brady, of the New England Patriots, will be running the boat this summer in New England....we want to protect the identity of our customers.....don't want beautiful women following them around everywhere.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Charlie thanks for the help but yuo know you have gotten me in enough trouble this year!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Just took delivery of my new 24" Banana and I have to tell you I cannot be any happier. The Boat looks fantastic it is so much better than I had hoped when I began all this in the fall. I had a 1990 Banana but you cannot compare the two boats. Quality is far superior to the old boat, with so many small details, workmanship is the best I have seen on any new boat and I had been looking for quite some time. It is clear to me that Charlie takes great pride in his work and could not have been any more helpful throughout the process. It is certainly amazing the folks that worked on this project, it is a who's who from the racing world and one look proves it. This boat will be in RI all year and if anyone is interested in looking at it or going for a ride if you are thinking of a Banana please let me know and I would be happy to take you out for a ride. Thanks again Charlie, I appreicate all your efforts.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

Congratulations on the new boat!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sp123
Just took delivery of my new 24" Banana and I have to tell you I cannot be any happier. The Boat looks fantastic it is so much better than I had hoped when I began all this in the fall. I had a 1990 Banana but you cannot compare the two boats. Quality is far superior to the old boat, with so many small details, workmanship is the best I have seen on any new boat and I had been looking for quite some time. It is clear to me that Charlie takes great pride in his work and could not have been any more helpful throughout the process. It is certainly amazing the folks that worked on this project, it is a who's who from the racing world and one look proves it. This boat will be in RI all year and if anyone is interested in looking at it or going for a ride if you are thinking of a Banana please let me know and I would be happy to take you out for a ride. Thanks again Charlie, I appreicate all your efforts.

Steve...it was a lot of fun...especially the chance to hook up with my old racing friends and build somethng with today's technology.

I was just the conductor.....the real kudos go to the guys who worked with me all the way on this build....Brownie, Bobby Saccenti, Mike Livorsi, Phil @ Ocean Hawk, Mike @ Fineline interiors, Don Aronow's old painter, George Piparo and the BRP people at Evinrude.....there were big smiles all around at the water test and great satisfaction knowing we achieved what we set out to do.
Attached Thumbnails Latest news-providence-boat-show-boat-09-082-small-.jpg   Latest news-providence-boat-show-boat-09-083-small-.jpg   Latest news-providence-boat-show-boat-09-085-small-.jpg  

Latest news-providence-boat-show-boat-09-089-small-.jpg   Latest news-providence-boat-show-boat-09-061-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-20-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I am in Virginia tonight.....towing a boat up route 95 for delivery to New England, so I only get on the computer at night.

No, the deck isn't on yet...it is just laying on top of the hull right now.

The hull still has the old fuel tank still foamed into place and all the bulkheads in place....the new deck fits right between the firewall bulkhead and the cabin door bulkhead as one piece.

Sterndrive or outboard??? Depends if you like the engine noise or just want a jump in and go boat, with the outboard.

Photos of the boat back in the days are..... look on the website, the first boat in the owners section...Fast Lady.

I promised the promoters of the Gloucester Mass race that Banana boat Co would help them and bring a boat to ther race back in the 70's. However the week before the race, I was racing the Top Banana in Miami and broke some motor mounts....so when I went back to the shop in RI, this boat was being readied for delivery to a dealer. I had the crew take the interior out and brought this boat.

Gloucester had two races back then, an inshore and an offshore. I raced this boat in the inshore one and came in first place. Since the boat was raced, I couldn't sell it as a brand new boat, so I gave it to my wife and she named it Fast Lady. That was the ony time it raced, so it has a perfect record LOL.

When we built the new molds, this boat was derigged and made perfect everywhere....we covered it with gel coat..the black and white you see... and then lathered on the mold release wax and made the molds.
Charlie, I remember the Gloucester races well. Infact a high School buddy of mine, Ken Ireland, was so impressed with your 24 Banana that he wore a Banana Boat T-shirt for the Senoir Class year book photo! If I ever get a scanner, I'll scan the Senior Class picture for you!

Kurt
Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

is that the same boat that was at MDG in Edgewater MD on Fri I thought it was an old Firefox that was redone had to get a better look that boat looked great
Old 04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kewler
is that the same boat that was at MDG in Edgewater MD on Fri I thought it was an old Firefox that was redone had to get a better look that boat looked great

Thanks...yes, it is the same boat. After taking a good hard look at the economy and the state of the marine industry now, we have decided on a "Broker-Agent", rather than a traditional dealer arrangement.

MDG is going to represent us as our "Broker-Agent" in the Middle Atlantic area and we have another Broker-Agent down in Houston for the lower South area.

We think that the days of the dealer buying a boat and floor planning it through a bank or financial institution and then adding on up to 30%, is not the model of the future.

In our case, since we build all the boats as custom and we work so closely with the buyers, this new arrangement works out best for everyone. I believe it will become the business model for the future, for those boat comapnies that do survive through the present times.

For more of our thinking see...Should you buy a Banana? on our website.

www.bananaboatco.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.