Summer run for Bananas >

Summer run for Bananas

Notices

Summer run for Bananas

Old 04-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Summer run for Bananas

I will be back up north for the summer pretty soon...(When the snow finally stops) and have had some interest from some people, about putting together a summer fun run for Banana's primarily, but surely open to any old school high performance boat.

No fees, no prizes, just a great day on the water and a nice lunch somewhere, with people who all enjoy the same type of boating.

Probably won't have a definite date until I can sort out the other events happening this summer, poker runs, races, special events etc. Plus I will be gong to Cowes this year, so it won't happen that late in the summer, September

Also have a little more motivation this summer.as we are re-powering the first production boat Banana Boat Co ever built, hull #2 Built 1976 to 2016, it is 40 years old and still going strong. (Hull # 1 was a race boat, naturally.)

Innovation Marine has put together a nice 383 cu in small block package, with fuel injection and fresh water cooling. So we are dropping some weight from the former big block and expect some more speed.

So everyone is welcome and we look forward to a great day with old friends and some new ones too.

DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED NO LATER THAN MAY 15, Stay Tuned!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some photos of hull # 2.

We named it Banana Split and it was powered by a 280 TRS package from Mercruiser.

The boat had been sold several times and most recently my son found it in NC powered with a big block, still with a TRS.

It was painted white. That has been changed now, as the boat had the original deck removed and a new deck was made for it and installed. The boat is now a black boat with a red boot stripe, white bottom and deck

The young boy in the photos is my son who is now over 50 years old, so this boat was a big part of his boating experience as a child. When he had the chance to purchase it back he did.

The # 6 race boat Top Banana was powered with twin 400 HP small blocks with TRS drives. That was hull # 1.
Attached Thumbnails Summer run for Bananas-banana-disc-069.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-banana-disc-067.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-banana-disc-078.jpg  

Summer run for Bananas-banana-disc-079.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-file0022.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-file0023.jpg  

Last edited by HORBA; 04-16-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Registered

Charlie here again, using the HORBA membership so I can post some photos.

With the new release of the 400 HP Mercury outboard, a few people have asked if that would be a good motor for a 24 or a 28 footer.

We built so many of the 24 footers with twin 200 HP outboards, that I think it would be a natural. First you will lose a bunch of weight by using just one motor instead of two. You will have less drag as you have only one lower unit and prop.

We have a former customer who is interested in a single 400 on a 24 set up just for zipping around, no cabin, just a three man bolster. More discussion once I get back up north.

Here are some of the previous twin or more engine boats that have been Banana 24 platforms
Attached Thumbnails Summer run for Bananas-24-banana-twin-outboard-3.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-24-banana-twin-outboard-4.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-laila1.jpg  

Summer run for Bananas-24-banana-twin-outboard-1.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-ph-brac007.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-24-banana-twin-outboard-2.jpg  

Old 04-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Registered

Quick look at proposed run in July. The run will be in the lower part of Narragansett Bay, starting at the state ramp in Warwick Rhode Island @ Oakland Beach. Good trailer parking there too.

We start with a run south, down the west side of the bay under the Jamestown bridge and out in the ocean, around the tip of Jamestown Island. (Banana Boats are made for ocean running!!!!)

That puts us with a return to the Bay past Newport and now heading north up the east passage, all the way north to the bridge in Fall River, Massachusetts for lunch. The restaurant has good dock space and is just on the other side of the Battleship Massachusetts and the PT Boat museum.

The run will end at the lunch stop

After lunch a return to the ramp in Warwick, for those who launched there. There are plenty of fuel stops along the way, starting in Newport for those who have small tanks. There is a marina close to the restaurant too.

Total mileage for the day ramp to ramp will be around the 60 miles.

Dates on a Saturday in July would be either the 9th or the 23rd, as those dates have high tide around mid day. That way, boats can be launched before high tide and put back on the trailers right after high tide in mid afternoon.

Still checking dates so as not to interfere with any other events in the area. THESE DATES ARE JUST PRELIMINARY!

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Registered

Looks like JULY 9th, Saturday will be the day.

First Saturday after 4 th of July.

Will have more information as the date gets closer.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Registered

Now that we have the date set, JULY 9TH here is a little added incentive for those interested.

We have a bunch of HORBA Anniversary Tee Shirts left over from last year..BUT only in size LARGE.

So if you are coming to the Banana Boat Summer Run and would like to purchase one of these Tee Shirts, we are offering them to participants in the run for just $10.00, when they first were selling they were $30.00.

Send me an email either through the Banana Boat Co website www.bananaboatco.com

or the HORBA website www.historicboats.com and let me know you want a Tee Shirt or a couple... and we will bring them with us and sell them that day.

Sales will help support HORBA which is trying to save as many old raceboats as we can, before they are all chopped up and lost forever.

Looking forward to a great day and a fun run.

Everyone who attends will be given a FREE memento of the day...A Don Aronow Memorial Race Key Chain from the Miami to Bimini race and a 8 X 11 photo of the 38 footTop Banana racing in California
Attached Thumbnails Summer run for Bananas-horba-tee-shirts.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-horba-anniversary-logo.jpg   Summer run for Bananas-horba-blue-anniv-logo.jpg  

Last edited by HORBA; 04-28-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Here is the restored first boat..... Banana Split..... on the way to Innovation to get it's new engine and drive.
Attached Thumbnails Summer run for Bananas-banana-split-2016.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

can old school carreras join or is this just for the banana guys
Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seaman
can old school carreras join or is this just for the banana guys
All are welcome. JULY 9TH A Saturday

There are a lot of 30 foot Sutphens in the southern New England area, we hope they join us for the run too.

The idea is to get as many of the old school boats together and have a good time in some sheltered water...Narragansett Bay and then some ocean running...out around Jamestown Island.

A slow cruise through Newport Harbor and then a quick run up to Fall River and the battleship Massachusetts and PT Boat museum and then a nice lunch where we can compare our knowledge of the history of these boats.

There is a definite lack of runs that cater to smaller and old school type boats. We hope to create such a run and are open to anyone who is interested in joining us.

Last edited by Top Banana; 04-29-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling you might get crashed by quite a few outerlimits, if the date doesn't conflict with other poker runs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.