Single or Twin outboard?

Notices

Single or Twin outboard?

Old 11-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single or Twin outboard?

Fellow Banana's,

For the last 4 years I have been saving my money and collecting duplicate rigging parts in order to transition my boat from a single 200hp Mercury to twin 200hp for no other reason than I want to go much faster, and have the reliability of 2 blenders.

Here is the Banana Bind...

I really don't have the cash needed to do it right so I was hoping to get your opinions.

My main concerns are (of course speed) and also resale value since I already have my eye on another Banana Boat.

The way I figure it is I can probably afford to rebuild the powerhead on the second motor my friend is going to give me which would mean I would have twin (non-counter rotating) stock 1989 200hp Mercs. One with a zero time power head and the other has aboot 300 hours since new.

Or I can throw the money at my current set up with a bracket, jack plate, nose cone, low water pick up, lighter flywheel, reeds, cowling etc...

Well, what do you guy's think?
Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Single or Twin outboard?

Twins are a must!! or if you really want to get crazy go tripps, i have a guy who can rebuild your merc for a reasonable price tripps
Old 11-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Air Dog
My main concerns are (of course speed) and also resale value since I already have my eye on another Banana Boat.
Sorry to jump in this thread as I don't own a Banana, but I like them.

You mentioned "another" Banana you had your eye on, does it allready have twins? What is the advantage of it over your current one? I agree twins and tripps are cool, but my opinion since I am on a budget as well, is go and put the dollars into your current setup. You know the boat allready and if you set it up with a bracket, etc it might not be as fast as with twins, but you can concentrate on keeping one outboard in shape as opposed to trying to maintain two on a budget. Just my .02

E.S.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Chris I have to agree with Minx. I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended). I would love to go for the twins, but to much moola to do it. I'm already set up for a single, so I'm just going to optimize it how it is. While keeping in mind that there are bigger better singles than I have now. Whan everthing is up to par then I'll throw the big boy on the back and make the best of it. Keep in mind we are only rated for 400hp on the back. So is the extra weight worth the hp? Thats up to you. I'm know people out there are building the 300x motors to have damn near 400hp and still have reliability too. Just my .02

Adam
Old 11-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

Hey Tripps how have you been? Whatever happened to your red Banana? How fast was that with single OMC? 65? How much would your friend charge me for the rebuild? Is he reputable or will he give me a casing full of shotty pinball machine parts

Minx20, the only advantage is that it is 900lbs lighter because it was a race layup with a balsa core.

Fruitta55. I am gonna guess that your boat goes 55mph like mine does, but my boat definately goes slower when it is calm, like 49mph
Old 11-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Registered

Default New Idea?

My very dear friend is the owner of Engine World. He sells a tremendous amount of inboard gas and desiel engines. He rolls his eyes everytime I mention my egg beating blender boat.

How about I sell my OB and have him stuff a V8 in front of the transom?

Yikes, that would cost more than any of my other ideas

I bet a 600hp I/O would be fun...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Single or Twin outboard?

Dude I got a great idea........stuff a blown 426 HEMI pumping out 1000hp and a jet drive.....
Then we can do land crossings
Old 11-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

Hey air,i'm really gonna get you goin now,ihave a 598 chevy just sittin that i had in my magnum,a friend had a bbchev in his bannana and it went 80,theres another guy around here with bigger power than my mota and i hear even faster than 80. for all that work,parts,tranny,mounts,exhaust,drive,mota,you could by 2 nice mercs,installed and just hit the key's and have enough $ for gas for the season. Put twins on it,a nose cone and bracket might give you 2-5 mph!! not enough for a grand,another merc,maybe 3 grand and some rigging,second control,harness,some sterring rigging,maybe another grand,and ill bet you'll go 75. my friend and i had the same bannana's v-8 s he was on the transom,i had a 30 inch bracket,and we were the same speed,63-65,but the boat with the bracket rode better. when and if i ever figure out how to post pic's i'll post them. email me you address and i'll send you some in a few days [email protected] tripps
Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Registered

That is interesting, I would have figured that it would be at least a bit faster with a bracket.

If it rides much better with a lot of set back, the I/O version must not ride as good as the outboard versions.

Thanks for the Pics...

I just sent you my e-mail address
Old 11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Registered

I didn't get any pics yet,but i'll work on it,and i mean't post office address tripps

Quick Reply: Single or Twin outboard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.