Notices

Post your stolen boat stories

Old 03-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Post your stolen boat stories

So we can all learn.......

I'll start
In 1999 I bought a 89 33 Donzi crossbow......garage kept its whole life 120hrs on the boat......mint condition.....not a rip, tear, fade anywhere.....mint.......the previous owner removed the 460 King Cobras and installed 502mpi's and Bravo 1s....brand new.......not super great boat by alot of oyur guys standards but a gorgeous teal colour......I was on top of the world......had a great first year

Took it out first run of the year 2000......a Sunday......ran around for awhile......then one engine not sounding good......shut it down and went back to port on one engine...... spoke to the mechanic.......restarted the motor.....motor sounded ok......put it in gear...crash boom bang......popped it up on the trailer......mech said park it in front of the service shop.....ok.......mechanic pulled top cover off of the drive.......JUNK..metal everywhere........Bravo...gone......I said I was going home and (being sunday 1pm ish) they had all week to put a new upper on it and try and find out why it unloaded ......mech said it should be ready by next weekend......good enough for me.....

Get "the phonecall" on Wednsday.....It was the Marina......"Did you come and get your boat???"...."ahhhhh no"......."are you sure???"......"YES!!"......."then its gone.....somebody stole it!!"

Turns out by Wed they hadnt touched the boat and had just left it there in front of the mech shop the whole time.....no lock no nothing.......I "assumed" they would put it in the very secure locked compound overnight and when they wernt working on it......nope.......left it right in the driveway in front of the service shop for 3 days and nights......someone came along tues night.......simply hooked it up and drove off with it......that simple.....

I immead notified Police at all levels.......took the rest of the week off from work.......called a bunch of marinas to keep an eye out.......layed on the couch all sat and sun....numb......couldnt move

The nxt weeks were filled with speculation.......its in montreal.......its gone to Russia.....Columbia.......Its stripped......Blah blah blah.......I know the cops checked me out bigtime......the payments wernt behind.......my insurance broker....who i had for years, seemed to have a suspicious tone in his voice.

The insurance company wanted 90 days to pay out on the claim......end of August......needless to say no boating.....I was not a very fun person to be around that summer.....constantly POed at the world.......thought about it 24/7......what do you do when your whole summer evolves and is planned around boating......yardwork?.....it SUC KS!!!.....and remember.....those 3mos......you still have to make payments on a boat you dont have!!

Bought the current Fountain the following spring.......lost probablly $30 000 with the insurance.......#1 they depreciate all your chit #2 the loan is very top heavy......meaning......lets say your loan is $500/mon......you call up the bank after making payments for a year and find out you've only paid $500 off the principal.....so when you get the money from insurance to pay out the loan it doesnt reflect what youve paid into it....but the bank got their interest!!!

What happened to the boat???.......almost a year to the day later I got a phone call from the cops saying they found my boat and i should call the insurance......

25miles away from the marina it was stolen from a guy was out walking his dog on a fire road (were talking Canadian wilderness cottage country here) and looked way down over a bank and saw what appeared to be a boat and phoned the cops.......I asked the cop if he needed me to identify it.....he said not to bother there wasnt much left of it.......they had ground out the ser# and stripped EVERYTHING out of the boat....engines, drives, the whole interior, wiring, seats, gauges EVERYTHING.....the only thing that was still recognisable was the fuel tanks which were glassed into the hull.....and the framerails of the trailer were there too

I asked the cop if they had a suspect....he said "Oh yeah were pretty sure we know who did it"........apparently theres a 28 yr old guy up there whos a career theft artist.......sounds like he's into cottage B&Es, PWC and snowmobile theft...the whole gammut up there......he stashes stuff at his grandfathers who has alzimers.....they went there a week before and found 6 one to two yr old GM 4x4 extended cab trucks there!!!!.......now this......he said there very carefully building a case against this guy and want to put him away for a long time.......the cop also said being that he's from a very small town up there he gets no help whatsoever from the locals......afraid??....who knows......I bet he doesnt rip off their chit......only cottagers and "city folks" chit.......thats probably ok

Over the winter there was a mini court proceeding called a discovery....i had to appear and answer questions put forth by the marinas insurance adjuster and the Marina owner answered questions from my adjuster.......in the end it was found the marina was 75% at fault so his insur co. had to pay 75% of the payout that was given to me (although I was paid by my insurance co . in full at the end of the 90 days)....the marina said they were not at fault at all because they had a "boats are lft here at owners own risk " sign......my insurance guy was happy with that judgement.....I thought they should pay 100% but what do I know......

what did I learn????.......my boat sits in the driveway during the season and is in a secure building over the winter......the props are removed at the ramp.....I have drive locks......to get the boat in the driveway you gotta' defeat two cable locks around the wheels on the side visable from the house, a coupler lock and move my suburban out of the way and the back light is left on illuminating the boat every night......

sorry for being so long winded but thats my experience with boat theft......hope we can all learn something....doug
Attached Thumbnails Post your stolen boat stories-scan0007a.jpg  
Old 03-25-2006, 06:19 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Post your stolen boat stories

I was hookin up to this boat one night and ... oh, never mind
Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

To bad about the cross bow, I have always liked that boat. to this day I still have a donzi flyer with the 33 in the centerfold.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Registered

She sure was one beautiful boat.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Post your stolen boat stories

Canada sucks,went to the poker runs america event in Gananoque.Came 2 days early towing my 36 outlaw.Brought the wife and kids and my beautiful new ford f350 crew cab dually diesel.Went out friday night and left the truck behind so we could party and take cab back to the hotel.gOT UP ON SAT MORNING TO ATTEND THE POKER RUN DRIVERS MEETING AND POOF TRUCK WAS GONE.Called police waste of time.told me they also got dodge ram pickup,38 fountain,and trailer too.Went on the poker run and had a blast,hooked up with a guy in an awesome gladiator called too hot.He called his buddy from nj and the guy came up with a brand new dually and towed my boat and trailer back.Cost me a few bucks but my wife and kids and myself sat back and let him take us back.Settled with insurance co.Never heard about the truck again.Ordered brand new 2005 !
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

One week before the insur co. was going to pay me out on the Donzi the insur adjuster guy says he's got to take a trip to Halifax for a few days.....turns out Canada Customs opens a ship container and finds 130 See doos....!!!.....and he says "probably about 1/2 to 1/3 of them are mine".....meaning he had paid out on them (he said he does work for several marine insur companies).......he wasnt sure where they were headed.........hadnt been there yet.........130 eh!!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Registered

talked to a local Marina said they used to buy bunches of small non current outboards (10/7.5) for good prices at the end of the year.....used to keep them in this semi trailer out back......well.....someone ripped them all off.......he heard from Merc they started showing up in France and Belgum........guys would take them in for warranty and the serials would come up sold in Canada........
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the name John Flood fit in there any where?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
So we can all learn.......

I asked the cop if they had a suspect....he said "Oh yeah were pretty sure we know who did it"........apparently theres a 28 yr old guy up there whos a career theft artist.......sounds like he's into cottage B&Es, PWC and snowmobile theft...the whole gammut up there......he stashes stuff at his grandfathers who has alzimers

So that everyone can learn ...... Canada and Okalhoma are very big places. If this ever happened to me I would make sure the phukin scum was at the bottom of the lake with cement overshoes! He would never ever see a courtroom.
SAR
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the electrician that wired my dads house a few years back was telling me about someone trying to steal the hi hp outboard on his bass boat, he had 220 wired to it. went out to get the boat ready to take out when he noticed hand prints on the motor and broken shingles on the side of the house where the would be thief landed after being lifted of the ground and throw backwards by a shot of 220v.

Quick Reply: Post your stolen boat stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.