Notices

Jasper Engines

Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have installed several Jasper Marine engines into boats, only a couple failures and they paid my labor and had the new engine at my shop before I had the old ones out. When you do the volume that Jasper does theres going to be a few problems, I've even had problems with local guys that had good reputations and they used excuse after excuse why it wasn't their fault.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Never heard of anyone using Jasper engines for a marine application. Not sure i would advise doing that.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's in a boat it's gona break...not just Jasper, merc's break too
Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redwenvy
Never heard of anyone using Jasper engines for a marine application. Not sure i would advise doing that.
They build motors specifically for marine application ... Also Outdrives ....Power heads ...

http://www.jasperengines.com/marine-products.php
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had problem with Jasper on a 502. I had a cracked block they were to find a block machine it & reuse my crank,rods,cam,etc. What I got back was some chinese crank that looked like they tried to balance it after heavy jaggerbomb usage. The bearings were trash everything had so much clearance I cant see how they got any oil pressure out of it, & charged mee 8000.00 to boot. I wouldnt touch them with a ten foot pole!!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

Default Jasper Marine???

We have used Jasper many times for truck engines and have been somewhat happy. We have had failures and problems and they have always replaced the faulty engines or parts without a problem. The issue is with always getting R&R from them. They fight that sometimes. I think they build an above average engine and transmission for a truck/car, but I would NEVER put one in my boat. Too many other good choices for that application. My 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've never had an issue with Jasper covering a claim, we don't go over the class II engines with them either. For big HP we use other builders. But we are pleased with the lower end stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

I have not been burned by them because I wont use them. I know of a few marina owners that have been burned by them. It only ended up making that shop look bad & it made for a pizzed off customer. I have also heard many other horror stories like the ones posted here.

For me the writing is on the wall, steer clear of there and places like there..

As someone else said there are other options that dont have the drama & dont have as much risk involved. I would rather be boating, I know mu customers would too.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

For guys looking for 7.4L, 454, 502 basically stock marine engines who are some of the other suppliers with good reputations and similar costs ?
ed
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

We have some offerings, although we usually get into more custom applications. Also there are also other advertisers here too that also I'm sure offer replacements. Jamie / Lakeside

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.