Taken For A Ride By Aqua-mania >

Taken For A Ride By Aqua-mania

Notices

Taken For A Ride By Aqua-mania

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taken For A Ride By Aqua-mania

Just a word of caution when dealing with Aqua-Mania, make sure that you "dot your i's and cross your t's"!!! In the begining of Sept. 2009 (Labor Day weekend) we purchased a boat from Aqua-Mania in Alexandria Bay, NY. The ad listed several items that were included with the boat to include a mooring cover and GPS. Upon taking delivery we questioned Rick about the whereabouts of the mooring cover and GPS because they weren't in the boat. Rick then had his wife check the ad to see if they were listed. Upon verification that they were listed in the ad I followed Rick throughout the dealership looking for them with negative results. He told me at that time "Don't worry, they were listed in the ad so we owe them to you". He then told me how the previous owner is a good friend of his and how he allows him to wash his boat and park it at Aqua-Mania therefore when he came in he would find out where those items were and mail them to us (big mistake on my part). Knowing that we were just waiting for the bank to transfer the remainder of the funds that we owed him, Rick insisted that we take the boat with us at that time. The money didn't come from the bank until 3 weeks later and we still hadn't seen the mooring cover or GPS. Just figuring that Rick was waiting for the rest of his money before mailing them we didn't think much about it. However after the final check was cashed and another month passed we started calling to check the status of the missing items. With all of Rick's obligations ie: the dealership, racing, real estate, and who knows what else it took quite a while to actually get a hold of him. When I finally did reach him by phone I was basically brushed off and told that he hadn't seen the previous owner to ask him about it yet. Finally on November 20, 2009 (2 1/2 months after purchase) I had a lengthy correspondence with Rick through e-mail's which he then told me that after researching the trade agreement with the previous owner it was determined that he had made a mistake by listing the mooring cover and since it wasn't written in the sales agreement he didn't owe us one. The GPS however was included in the trade so he would purchase that item and mail it to us. Insisting that we were still owed the mooring corver since it was included in the ad Rick reluctantly said that he would also send one with the GPS since it was his mistake for listing it. Now, Jan 30, 2010 (a week shy of 5 months after the sale) still nothing. The moral of the story is that no matter how friendly or honest the dealership appears to be just remember that they are still a dealership and are only concerned about moving inventory. Don't get me wrong, we are just as much to blame for not having all of the contents listed in the ad put in writing on the sales agreement but after loosing out on approximately $2,000 worth of accessories for trusting somebody's word we will never make that mistake again. Hopefully someone will remember our experience when considering doing business with Aqua-Mania or anybody else for that matter. TRUST NO-ONE!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the world has come to the "trust no one" mentality and the power of the pen rules.
Do these sales people think that this purchase will be your last and you will never be seen again??
Luckily for these types of people the cowboy and saloon days are over and not everyone walks around with a Smith & Wesson on their hip!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by verbi69
I guess the world has come to the "trust no one" mentality and the power of the pen rules.
Do these sales people think that this purchase will be your last and you will never be seen again??
Luckily for these types of people the cowboy and saloon days are over and not everyone walks around with a Smith & Wesson on their hip!!
Unfortunately, It sort of appears that way anymore.. I dont sell boats, But I put everything in writing whether I am buying or selling any of my stuff. Both business & personal.. This way you don't have a gray area, It protects both sides..

Sorry to hear of a deal gone bad.. That sux for everyone.

Jamie

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think the entire world has gone off the edge. When I purchased the current Fountain from
East Coast Flightcraft there was an issue with the cockpit carpet which they pointed out, they said they would make it right. I left Mass. with the boat in tow minus the cockpit carpet, within a few days I had a call that they had a new one on order, it would take a little time, but they would keep me posted. Got a call that they had recieved it but it was for a 35 EX and were reordering. Took some time, but they did exactly what they had promised, and I recieved a new one, exact same as the original. When I first ran the boat the following spring one of the trim switches was sticking, called to get a new one, fully expecting to pay for it, they sent it right out minus the invoice, along with a spare.

Guess the point here is that there are still some good guys out there.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I don't think the entire world has gone off the edge. When I purchased the current Fountain from
East Coast Flightcraft there was an issue with the cockpit carpet which they pointed out, they said they would make it right. I left Mass. with the boat in tow minus the cockpit carpet, within a few days I had a call that they had a new one on order, it would take a little time, but they would keep me posted. Got a call that they had recieved it but it was for a 35 EX and were reordering. Took some time, but they did exactly what they had promised, and I recieved a new one, exact same as the original. When I first ran the boat the following spring one of the trim switches was sticking, called to get a new one, fully expecting to pay for it, they sent it right out minus the invoice, along with a spare.

Guess the point here is that there are still some good guys out there.
And the point is that you will I bet go to see them for your next purchase!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Every business will have "problems" whether its equipment or verbal commitments made to complete the sale. What sets quality businesses apart is the way they handle the problems. The "if its not in writting" excuse is just that, an excuse. Sometimes even if its in writing you have a hard time getting promised services or equipment after the sale is complete. For what ever reason the marine industry has more than its share of these type dealers. Where else can you make a 100K to 300K purchase, or more, and get treated like a second class citizen? Scott Shogren, at Shogren Marine, and David Woods at Pier 57, truly go the extra distance to keep their word. Sure some folks have had bad experiences with them, but the majority have nothing but high praise. Sorry about your struggle to get what is promised to you.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 28' eliminator Daytona from Lake Cumberland marine in there add they said trailer was not included when I received my deposit receipt it included the Vin # on the trailer when I went to pick it up they asked me how I wanted to pay for the trailer I showed the receipt for my deposit included the trailer and they said enjoy your boat and trailer and off I went. I would buy another boat from them in a minute.