Notices

Baja boat scam

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja boat scam

http://boats.oodle.com/view/1994-baj...34692-peru-il/

I emailed this a##hole to see if he was for real. He replied that he was Air Force Msgt. Adam Larson of McGuire New Jersey, and would be able to do a deal with me through ebay motors. He said he would ship the boat from NJ and I would have 5 days to check over and send back if I didnt like what I had bought. I hope noone was dum enuff to send this guy money and fund some kind of tourist organization.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Someguy

I emailed this a##hole to see if he was for real. He replied that he was Air Force Msgt. Adam Larson of McGuire New Jersey, and would be able to do a deal with me through ebay motors. He said he would ship the boat from NJ and I would have 5 days to check over and send back if I didnt like what I had bought. I hope noone was dum enuff to send this guy money and fund some kind of tourist organization.
What's wrong with tourism?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered

Default Adam Larson and Jacob Nelson

Adam Larson and Jacob Nelson are alias names used in a boat scam on Ebay Motors. This person has fake emails from eBay and a spoof eBay website. He took me for $2,900.00. This person has been turned into the FBI and is on criminal records across several different states to Include Kentucky, Indiana, New Jersey, Nevada, and California. The scam is to get you to send a deposit through MoneyGram or any other form of wire transfer. NEVER PAY FOR ANYTHING through a wire transfer no matter how good or bad the deal. Online purchasing of any sort does not support wire transfers. Once you put the money into a wire transfer, kiss it good bye because you can not get it back.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And never use an unknown escrow company...

Try to pay as often as possible with a credit card, and where not possible offer to pay with Paypal ONLY. At least Paypal is a reputable escrow company (a company that takes money and doesn't fully release it until both parties are satisfied). If you're buying anything online and you offer to pay the Paypal 3% premium and the Seller balks at the transaction, it's probably a fraud. Remember, IF they're selling something online they HAVE access to a computer. At that point there is no reason not to take Paypal.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
And never use an unknown escrow company...

Try to pay as often as possible with a credit card, and where not possible offer to pay with Paypal ONLY. At least Paypal is a reputable escrow company (a company that takes money and doesn't fully release it until both parties are satisfied). If you're buying anything online and you offer to pay the Paypal 3% premium and the Seller balks at the transaction, it's probably a fraud. Remember, IF they're selling something online they HAVE access to a computer. At that point there is no reason not to take Paypal.
+1 to that.

I bought a piece of equipment end of the year off ebay. The guy was upset how much he lost for the ebay and paypal fees. But I felt comfortable in buying it. I only pay with paypal and on a credit card. I like double the protection. To many people out there that will screw you in the blind of a eye.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

There was an ad on Oodle with the exact same setup and words only it was my boat a 28 Pantera. This person stole my Ebay Ad and copied it and listed it on Oodle which is free. I had three people call me asking why I was selling the boat so cheap. I reported the listing as a scam and it was removed.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice guys!

I have always tried to pay with Paypal myself, I actually went one step further, I applied and got a 2nd credit card that I ONLY use for online transactions, I have it specified that the limit is 1K and is NEVER to be increased [odds are pretty good if I am spending more than 1K I will actually want to see the item in person and/or buying it from someone I can "trust"] That way if the card was to get compromised the most it can be run up is $1000, plus, I usually carry a balance on it which would limit the amount of scammed money.

I have also found that if ANYBODY balks at actually showing the item in person, then, its a SCAM!

I looked at a couple of waverunners and an ATV that sounded like "good deals", when I Emailed and found out where the item was located, I said "OH, I have a buddy that lives just outside of there, maybe I will swing over and have a look"

INSTANTLY the "seller" started giving me this excuse about the item being already crated, and how he would ship it to me, but, wouldn't be able to show it to me since it was already at the shippers, and he was out of the country on business, or some BS story like that. I have heard of several other people who have almost gotten scammed like this, so, much like it was BEFORE "E commerce" its BUYER BEWARE!

The Ebay scam is a common one, a lot of times they will hijack the account of a good "seller" so, when they place the fake ad [or hijack yours] is shows them as having good feedback and being longtime members. These are easy to spot, since they usually have a section that asks you "NOT to contact them through Ebay, but, to contact them direct, usually followed by a "Gmail" email account, or something similiar. On some of the really cheesy ads you can actually SEE where they have "copied and pasted" a different ad. Pretty sad when people are that slimy, dont know how they sleep at night.

Michael
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered

Angry Almost scammed by him, too!

This guy, Msgt. Adam Larson of the Air Force base in NJ almost had us fooled, too. My wife did a simple Google search of his name on his email reply (which was nothing like his Oodles logon "Dahn T". He used the exact same wording (although this was a PAIR of Honda 2007 jet skiis with combined value of less than $4k....for both! Way too good to be true! That was the 1st red flag, especially when he wanted to ship them both from NJ to GA free, including insurance for a 5 day inspection. If we tried them out and declined to buy, then he would pay for their return to NJ! Really???
I am grateful that others have taken the time to post their same tentative scam situation. It took over 11 min. just to register on THIS site, but I hope it will be worth it to expose this fraud. We have reported it on Oodle, too, so we will see.
We are not finished with this guy until someone catches up with his phony act!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Default He's switching scams

Originally Posted by Someguy

Apparently this guy has switched from summertime activity scams to wintertime scams. I have him online right now and he's been trying to 'sell' me an '07 Skidoo for 2300.00. I knew it was a scam when he requested a moneygram and told me not to tell anyone that I was purchasing something online! OMG! I originally found the sled on Oodle.com and when I showed interest he was too kind and offered to sell it to me thru Ebay motors. His Ebay motors web page is a pretty good fake. Anyway, as I said, I have him online right now patiently waiting fr me to send my Moneygram. Is there anyway we can catch him so he can't do this to another person? Btw, he's still using the same name, Msgt. crap and location in McGuire, NJ. I am so po'd at this jerk.
Jessie
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Registered

Thank you all for taking the time to do this. I almost got scammed out of $2,800 by this guy but I had a bad gut feeling about the whole deal and then I got the spoof eBay email from him and it was fishy (none of the links worked and I had no notifications in "My Ebay" "My Messages" which if it goes through eBay you should. I reported him to the ICP agency and on Oogle and on eBay. Lookout for this email address also: [email protected].

Thanks again everyone!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.