Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
Fair Exchange of Information >

Fair Exchange of Information

Like Tree0Likes

Fair Exchange of Information

Reply

Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
  #1
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
My Boat: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"
Posts: 811
Default Fair Exchange of Information

I think you have really taken the value and purpose out of this section in an effort to censor a few posters who get out of control. I have read some of the name calling and stupid things posted here, but making this a forum for only people with legal issues is hurting all of us in our path to seeking good, solid information about how businesses perform and treat their customers. I own a service business and my business is reviewed everyday by my customers and posted on websites like Kudzu, Angie's List, City Search, etc. I of course, feel some of the reviews are out of line and some are glowing, but the overall good of sites like this are a "raising of the bar" of any industry. The business owner has a opportunity to post a rebuttal and state their side of the dispute and how they answer and what they post gives a potential customer an insight into that business that is invaluable . These social network postings have caused a lot of my competitors to behave differently in they try harder to please their customers and they tend to not sweep their mistakes under the rug. Overall in the last 5 years since these sites have grown, the heating and air customer service business in Atlanta has gotten much better. From some of the negative issues I have read about in the marine business, this industry is in need of an open exchange of information more than ever and your attempt to stifle this is clearly a mistake for customers and the business owner. This business could also enjoy a higher level of respect and prestige if this type of posting is allowed and even encouraged.
ElimiNordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,374
Default

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
I think you have really taken the value and purpose out of this section in an effort to censor a few posters who get out of control. I have read some of the name calling and stupid things posted here, but making this a forum for only people with legal issues is hurting all of us in our path to seeking good, solid information about how businesses perform and treat their customers. I own a service business and my business is reviewed everyday by my customers and posted on websites like Kudzu, Angie's List, City Search, etc. I of course, feel some of the reviews are out of line and some are glowing, but the overall good of sites like this are a "raising of the bar" of any industry. The business owner has a opportunity to post a rebuttal and state their side of the dispute and how they answer and what they post gives a potential customer an insight into that business that is invaluable . These social network postings have caused a lot of my competitors to behave differently in they try harder to please their customers and they tend to not sweep their mistakes under the rug. Overall in the last 5 years since these sites have grown, the heating and air customer service business in Atlanta has gotten much better. From some of the negative issues I have read about in the marine business, this industry is in need of an open exchange of information more than ever and your attempt to stifle this is clearly a mistake for customers and the business owner. This business could also enjoy a higher level of respect and prestige if this type of posting is allowed and even encouraged.
Excellent post.
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boat: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
Excellent post.
Ditto Jazz and if your a paying OSO advertiser you are shielded from any Negativety even if you have screwed a customer ... very cheap insurance to just pay and advertize and let the site run block 4 ya ...
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM
  #4
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
My Boat: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"
Posts: 811
Default Advertiser not Protected

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 View Post
Ditto Jazz and if your a paying OSO advertiser you are shielded from any Negativety even if you have screwed a customer ... very cheap insurance to just pay and advertize and let the site run block 4 ya ...
Good Point! My company spends $129k a year on advertising on Kudzu.com because it brings me additional work and they do not remove or edit ant negative review if it meets the "rules of engagement" . I know sites need their advertisers, but if the rules are fair, everyone is protected.
ElimiNordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 PM
  #5
Registered
 
cosmic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Syracuse N.Y.
My Boat: Dreaming of a 32 AT
Posts: 4,951
Default

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 View Post
Ditto Jazz and if your a paying OSO advertiser you are shielded from any Negativety even if you have screwed a customer ... very cheap insurance to just pay and advertize and let the site run block 4 ya ...
Are you serious?


What gets me is when a builder/supplier whatever does get any bad press on here they will come on and just slam the person and try to make him/her the bad guy in the mess and say chit like I got so sick of them complaining about this or that little thing so I just put'em on termanal egnore and the fight starts.
It doesn't seem to matter that the person spent very large sums of money and expected things to be correct.
Also I see or have seen that alot of guys will not post the bad stuff for fear of loose'n there azz's when it comes time to sell whatever it was, boat/parts/trailer ect-ect-.
Been there done that and it hurts to hide the crap that you know should come out.
Take the time to read the RF threads
If any other builder did what he has done those threads would be in here. Like it or not he phucked the whole industry plain and simple and now everyone loves him and wishes him well, give me a break!!!!!!!
I know I will be flamed for this so go ahead let it fly, I finely got it out.
cosmic12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  #6
OSO Moderator
Charter Member
iTrader: (1)
 
SpeedGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York
My Boat: Avanti & Formula 280SS
Posts: 8,426
Default

I changed the wording on the stickie...

I agree that an open exchange of information is needed and fine with posting about a bad transaction or business dealing.... I still want the thread starter to be prepared to back up their claims with photos, email and information....

I have also seen the good of this section and impresses when someone is called out for a bad dealing and made the situation right!!

What we would like to avoid having is this section to be is a bunch of threads crying because X didn't return my phone call or claims without backup...

Back up is the key to proof of a bad dealing!
__________________
You are judged by the company you keep!
SpeedGirl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM
  #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boat: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
Good Point! My company spends $129k a year on advertising on Kudzu.com because it brings me additional work and they do not remove or edit ant negative review if it meets the "rules of engagement" . I know sites need their advertisers, but if the rules are fair, everyone is protected.
i do believe Speedy has no problem with airing both sides of a Badd dealing in the Beware/ stolen section but usually it ends up 1 sided and the shop does'nt ever show up to post there side instead there cheerleaders do and it then turns into a pizzing match of who screams the loudest ... cant make everyone happy so a lil negativety is expected and OSO site readers then just have make there own decision on what/who they believe.

CH!T dont think i even swore on this post
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,374
Default

What about also not being able to edit your post..in this section...I think if you post something, back it up...dont change it.....or complain to your friend that happens to be a moderator to get posts deleted...
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 AM
  #9
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
My Boat: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"
Posts: 811
Default Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl View Post
I changed the wording on the stickie...

I agree that an open exchange of information is needed and fine with posting about a bad transaction or business dealing.... I still want the thread starter to be prepared to back up their claims with photos, email and information....

I have also seen the good of this section and impresses when someone is called out for a bad dealing and made the situation right!!

What we would like to avoid having is this section to be is a bunch of threads crying because X didn't return my phone call or claims without backup...

Back up is the key to proof of a bad dealing!
Thank you very much for the new wording! It is much better. You are so correct about a bad situation being made better and this can eventually change behavior in the future. Thanks, Dan
ElimiNordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo,Texas
My Boat: 47' Fountain with triples/ Nor-Tech 3600 Supercat
Posts: 297
Default

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl View Post
I changed the wording on the stickie...

I agree that an open exchange of information is needed and fine with posting about a bad transaction or business dealing.... I still want the thread starter to be prepared to back up their claims with photos, email and information....

I have also seen the good of this section and impresses when someone is called out for a bad dealing and made the situation right!!

What we would like to avoid having is this section to be is a bunch of threads crying because X didn't return my phone call or claims without backup...

Back up is the key to proof of a bad dealing!
What about Legend Marine Group that has screwed over dozens of people here but there thread always seems to get locked?
dewayne6243 is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser