Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Geeeeez!!! Take pics and post!
Stay tuned...pics coming...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i got a xr drive threw him and my 572 from him. I put 60hrs on they work great.
I keep in touch with him monthly and hope to take a holiday and spend a week with him again this summer
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zeke
well i got a xr drive threw him and my 572 from him. I put 60hrs on they work great.
I keep in touch with him monthly and hope to take a holiday and spend a week with him again this summer
well it appears sprink58 did not fare as well as you did,the soon to come pictures should tell the story!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeke
Really ? REALLY? Great for you! LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sprink that sucks man. I know you work on a tight budget with this stuff. Always SUCKS to get hosed like that. best of luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for your thoughts.

I was all psyched up to get in the water with this boat next week. I ran both motors and got all the kinks worked out got all the minor parts and pieces ready to go, found a second really good B I drive to go with this one that I thought was good and now this happens.

That money could have gone towards props, electronics or Poker Run expenses. Now I have to buy another drive.

When you restore an old boat you prepare yourself for some of these kinds of things and you learn to read people. Man did I miss this one!!

I have bought several things on here that turned out good but this one is a real stinger!!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprink58
Stay tuned...pics coming...

When are they due in?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
When are they due in?

I wanted to take them today but couldn't get to the shop. I've been out collecting money from people in the 90 day plus column so I can pay for some of my bad habits!! LOL

On my list for tomorrow...got to pay for labor to discover this mess.

Last edited by sprink58; 01-31-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

OK...here are the pics. What I was told by the seller was that this upper had been gone thru by Innovation Marine in Sarasota and had received new threaded gears, new seals, bearings and races....I don't think so.

New "galled" races.
[IMG][/IMG]

Note old style pressed in worn gears...not "New Style Threaded"
[IMG][/IMG]
[

Close up of galled bearing race

[IMG][/IMG]

Note "New" seals and retainers

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Obvious signs of Salt Water intrusion and corrosion.
[IMG][/IMG]

Note twisted input shaft splines. I asked about that and was told by seller, " Don't worry about that...Innovation upgraded the gears to the new threaded style so you're good to go"...NOT
[IMG][/IMG]

So ...basically I got phuked. My drive guy said he wouldn't charge me for the examination...I have been dealt enough misery. he said I might be able to re seal the upper, put new bearings and races in it and run it behind a 260 horse SBC and get by with it...but I would have another $700~$800 in it and since it's a early style "Non Oiler" (upper doesn't drain thru to the lower) it's not worth it. He said find a complete newer style drive that has the newer threaded gears and is a "oil reservoir" model that the gear lash can be adjusted and he would re seal and check it for me for free. I bought another newer style complete from one of his customers that has a 1 year warranty on it.

This one hurt but it's not the end of the world. what I take away from this experience is an education on Bravo I drives and I made another friend. When you are restoring an older power boat.... meeting and knowing people that have character and shoot straight with everybody is priceless.

I hope my experience helps someone else avoid being screwed.

Now I have to look for a match and I may have found one.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.